Tires for a 99 Continental

Crownvic

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It's time for new tires for the Conti and I wondered if this spec would be too narrow a tire:

P 205 / 55 R 16

P 225 / 60 R 16 is the original specs

Thanks for telling me if it would fit and whether you expect it might have some issues in terms of handling?

Cheers,

Vic

Seems you asked this question twice; once here and once in the Town Car forum. I answered it in the town car forum.

"I do believe they will fit fine and you can do it....

Downsides:

The spedometer will be off by 6.6%. In other words when you read 60 MPH on it you'll actually be traveling 56.1 mph. This will also cause your odometer to turn faster as well.

As far as handling you will definitely lose out in that department. It won't be undrivable but it won't be as good as the 225s. It might be better in the rain and certainly in the snow.

I think I would only do this if the tires were free and the car was a beater that I didn't care about handling. I certainly would not buy this as a replacement if I were you. "

Seeking cheap source for quality tires

Seems you asked this question twice; once here and once in the Town Car forum. I answered it in the town car forum.

Hi Brentalan,

Thanks again for your help. The reason for the double post is that I have both cars and they use the same size tires. The ones on the Continental are worn out, so I was wanting to either straight out replace them, or move those on the TC over to the Continental and put the new ones on the TC. That's the reason for the double post. So thanks for your double answer. ;)

Now I need to find a cheap source for tires, my quotes for a set have gone from 500 to 1000 dollars, maybe Vermont has less discount suppliers due to low volume and I may have to buy online and get them mounted when they get here? Any ideas of where to get good prices and cheap delivery to the North East?

TIA

Vic

If you don't mind buying used this place is super cheap and has good pictures so that you can see tread depth: http://www.bestusedtires.com/

There is also DiscountTireDirect and TireRack. DTD is usually cheaper by a few dollars if you factor in shipping.

Great tire sources - Thx !

If you don't mind buying used this place is super cheap and has good pictures so that you can see tread depth: http://www.bestusedtires.com/

There is also DiscountTireDirect and TireRack. DTD is usually cheaper by a few dollars if you factor in shipping.

Thanks a zillion Brentalan, with those addresses the Continental will be back on the road soon. :cool:

Thanks to guys like you this forum's the best!

Vic

Members online

No members online now.
Back