Tires....Again!

Dom

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I know this has been covered over and over and I've searched it to the death, but things change in the tire world. I need new skins on my '02 V8 and am getting a headache on what to purchase. I live in Boston (bad roads and worse weather) and drive a lot in the city and in bad conditions so I need an all-season. I also need my tires to be more built for comfort than speed. I have the Michelins MXM4's on the car now but they are awful in any bad weather, pretty good other times. What would u guys recommend or what do you use? Price is pretty important. I don't really wanna spend $200/tire. I've seen alot of Kuhmo's, Avon's, and Hankook around the internet and discount tire places but I'm kinda weary. Alot of reviews on Tirerack.com are not very favorable. Should I just stick with the tried and true names; Michelin, Dunlop, Yokohama? I'm looking at Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS and Yokohama Advan S4, both have great reviews and are a little cheaper than $200/tire. You guys are always great with feedback!

I ran the goodyear triple tread tires and had great luck with them. They handle very well in the rain. thats kinda hard to find in a 80k tire. Where I live doesnt get much snow. So Im not sure about them for that. IIRC they are about $130 per tire.Hope this helps

I have the Bridgestone Potenza G009's on my car and have no complaints. I would definately buy Bridgestones again. Those RE960AS look pretty good too.

I printed out an order form indicating the price including shipping from tire rack, took it to my local Firestone dealer and he beat it! :eek: :D
I was not expecting that! Granted I did have to pay tax, but he took off over $60 per tire. And Firestone will rotate & balance free for the life of the tire.

I bought some Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions last fall. I love those things, and they've done pretty well in the snow this winter (usually around 4-6", haven't got much more than that). The ride comfort is awesome, and I'd say that these tires are completely silent. The tread wear on these tires is also top notch (from TireRack: Treadwear: 400, Traction: AA). All three of those things were very important to me when looking for tires for my '02 LS V8, and the RE960AS's definitely fulfilled all 3 quite well. I couldn't be happier with them. :)

TireRack Link

I run Michelin pilot sport A/S and I love them, excellent in everything. But I have a 4000lb front wheel drive.

Hey n8bachelor,
Thanx for the input. I noticed they don't come in 235/50-17's only 235/45-17's...Is that what you're running?

I have the Bridgestone Potenza G009's on my car and have no complaints. I would definately buy Bridgestones again. Those RE960AS look pretty good too.

I printed out an order form indicating the price including shipping from tire rack, took it to my local Firestone dealer and he beat it! :eek: :D
I was not expecting that! Granted I did have to pay tax, but he took off over $60 per tire. And Firestone will rotate & balance free for the life of the tire.

Goodyear GS-D3s are great in dry and wet weather. I have my second set of them on my Mustang Cobra and I am going to put a set on my wife's LS.

Hey n8bachelor,
Thanx for the input. I noticed they don't come in 235/50-17's only 235/45-17's...Is that what you're running?

Actually I have 16"s :( I run the factory 225/55-16's. I want a good summer set of light 18's but just can't afford it yet.

Walmart or Sams club

I bought the 80k Douglas brand tires at Walmart (made by Goodyear). Nice quiet tires, great tread wear, looks good, factory oem size. Sam's & Walmart are selling off branded tires made by Michelin. Look at the first two letters of the dot code on the tire, that is the factory, check online if you don't have a book to decode it.:D

Believe it or not check the reviews on Tire Rack and Discount Tire for the General UHP series of tires. They're cheap and people rave about them.

Believe it or not check the reviews on Tire Rack and Discount Tire for the General UHP series of tires. They're cheap and people rave about them.

These are GREAT tires above 35º. Below that they turn to plastic.

As you said, you need an ALL SEASON tire. I have Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions on my '06 and Goodyear F1 Allseasons on my 2000. In our San Diego weather I prefer the Goodyears to the Potenzas.

i have Falken Zien ZE-912's and i just got them last week, for a wooping $86 each what i did is this go to http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi?stock=829&f=ze912_t.htm and printed out the tires that i want 235/50/17 Falken Zien ZE-912's and then i whent to http://www.falkentire.com/main.htm and find the nearest retailer next to you, ask if they price match, sears do so dont hessitate to go there thats where i got mines, print out the add, do 2 prints one for just the tires and the other in the checkout window the reason you want to do that is because this site charges $40 for shipping anywhare in the U.S and if you dont have that they may try to add their estimates for shipping and they f**K with you about that, i got a for life tire balance, road hazzard and a wheel alignment for $650.

Members online

No members online now.
Back