Tire stretch question....

hinzy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
How much stretch is unsafe?

I have a 245/45/18 winter tire I'm thinking about putting on a 9.5 wheel.
The "suggested" specs call for a 9" max wheel.

I know people don't always go by the manufacturers suggestion, but would it be terribly unsafe? It really isn't that big of a stretch and I've seen worse.

Thanks for any feedback

it'll work.
people use 245s on 9 inch wide wheels all the time, so a 9.5 isn't that much of a stretch.

245 tire on a 9.5 inch wheel. Evo X

91095942.jpg

same, 245 on a 9.5 up front. vette.

162.jpg

Yeah the dude at the place I got my snow tires put on was "SUPER CONCERNED" about me putting 215s on my stockers. It wasn't a problem at all.

Anything +- a 1/2" of the tire manufacturers recommended size I wouldn't worry about too much. So if the tire manufacturer recommends a 9" rim, I'd put it on anything 8.5 to 9.5" wide.

Anything +- a 1/2" of the tire manufacturers recommended size I wouldn't worry about too much. So if the tire manufacturer recommends a 9" rim, I'd put it on anything 8.5 to 9.5" wide.

I didn't say they recommend a 9", said that is the spec max.
The range is 7.5-9" and 8" being the suggested width.

But thank for the replies. I'll get them mounted today and see how they look.

I don't get it. Why? It looks like it would be easy for the bead to dislodge. IMHO looks like those stupid "outrigger" type wheels.

such nice wheels :cool:

now that I see that v8 badge on your car I'm kinda digging it. Do you have a link to where you got it?

I don't get it. Why? It looks like it would be easy for the bead to dislodge. IMHO looks like those stupid "outrigger" type wheels.

1. I already had the winter tires
2. Thinner is better in snow

But it does bug me at times when I look at them so I'm going to keep a look out for a wider pair and replace them at some point.

Chrome wheels for winter, eek. Why not pick up some stockers? Tires are also cheaper and there is a better selection of winter compounds.

Chrome wheels for winter, eek. Why not pick up some stockers? Tires are also cheaper and there is a better selection of winter compounds.

Wheels aren't in the best shape, plan in refinishing them and they will no longer be chrome. And like I said, I already had the tires so was trying to keep from spending the money at this time. Right now my money is going to go to a 19" set for spring and then re-do my winter setup over the summer.

Doesn't look as bad from a better angle

Might be stretching out a bit as well

C5947AE2-B04E-46CF-A278-F5DAC2251228-15236-00000F598810FDA5.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back