Tire Recommendation

TonyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I’m in need of all season tires for my V6 04LS and would like to hear recommendations from others in this forum. I use snow tires during the winter but I still would like to purchase all season tires instead of a wet/dry summer tire only. (you never know when you will get caught in the snow here in New England).

Here is what I’m looking for in a tire, in order of priority:

- A quiet riding tire: I do a lot of highway driving, quiet tires are a must.
- Like a tire to perform well, I don’t necessarily need an extremely high
performance tire. But I want a tire to keep up with the LSs capabilities. I’m
not aggressive on this car.
- Price; I don’t want to break the bank.
- American made, at least the Company name anyway.

BTW, tire size is: 225/55/16

Thanks for your help!

TonyLS said:
I’m in need of all season tires for my V6 04LS and would like to hear recommendations from others in this forum. I use snow tires during the winter but I still would like to purchase all season tires instead of a wet/dry summer tire only. (you never know when you will get caught in the snow here in New England).

Here is what I’m looking for in a tire, in order of priority:

- A quiet riding tire: I do a lot of highway driving, quiet tires are a must.
- Like a tire to perform well, I don’t necessarily need an extremely high
performance tire. But I want a tire to keep up with the LSs capabilities. I’m
not aggressive on this car.
- Price; I don’t want to break the bank.
- American made, at least the Company name anyway.

BTW, tire size is: 225/55/16

Thanks for your help!
I got new tires in December, i got 225/60's for my stock 16" wheels. They fill the wheel well better. I got Yokohama Avid V4s from Discount Tire, $90 each installed. Awesome tires, road noise is gone, great traction, good tread life. Check em out at Discount Tire or TireRack.

I went with the good year comfort assurance......225/60/16 (like the look better) .....I love these tires my dad is running them on his car.(not a ls) and he loves them he has over 30,000 on them and they still have great tread left.....Ive had mine for maybe 3500-5000 and no problems......

Get what you want I paid 650 mounted balanced and road hazard with 4 wheel alinement(I know I spelt that wrong.....)

Thanks Silver, I heard great things about the goodyear assurance. They don't make a 225/55/16, but I see that you went with the slightly larger sidewall of 225/60/16. I take it you don't see much of a performance difference?

I got the Falken Ziex ZE-512's from Discount Tire. No issues after 3000+ miles.

:Beer

Marc

I've heard good things about the BFGoodrich traction TA tires. Anyone using these on their LS?

I know you said you "didn't want to break the bank" but I'm a true believer in you get what you pay for in regards to tires. With that being said I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. They have unmatched handling performance and excel in wet road driving. I have been running those tires on my LS for about a year and they are quiet and very smooth on the road. Also, it has a pretty aggressive tread design for being an all season tire.

I installed new tires on my 2003 V6 LS in the same size you are looking for. I also wanted a quiet tire, so our requirements there are the same. I was also looking for an all-season tire since I live in New England too.

If you're replacing the stock Continentals, take a serious look at the Bridgestone Turanza LS tire. It comes in several speed ratings (H, V, and Z -- I got H for my car), and it is available in the size you need.

In terms of performance, I was amazed how quiet and comfortable these tires were as compared to the Continentals. I can tell you from experience, the do very well in the snow and very good in the rain. For your needs, I would recommend them without hesitation.

Ken makes a good point.... you get what you pay for. These tires may not be the cheapest, but they're very good for the price.

On the Tirerack site, they get very good reviews. The H rated tires do very well, and the Z rated tires do even better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+LS-H

Todd

Thanks for the tip on the Turanza tires. All the reviews say great things about this tire in all the catagories that I'm interested except for one. The V rated tire are rated for 43k miles, I do a lot of highway driving and wanted a 60k tire. But I guess that's the trade off if looking for a quiet ride. How many miles do you have on your Turanza tires? How's the tread wear? Since I also use snow tires this may not be as big of an issue as I orignally thought.

Thanks for the info, I'm seriously thinking about them now.

+2 for the Michelins, I love em, and I drove back and forth from Orlando to Jacksonville a number of times on them

TonyLS said:
Todd

Thanks for the tip on the Turanza tires. All the reviews say great things about this tire in all the catagories that I'm interested except for one. The V rated tire are rated for 43k miles, I do a lot of highway driving and wanted a 60k tire. But I guess that's the trade off if looking for a quiet ride. How many miles do you have on your Turanza tires? How's the tread wear? Since I also use snow tires this may not be as big of an issue as I orignally thought.

Thanks for the info, I'm seriously thinking about them now.

Well, I only put about 5,000 miles on them before I traded my 03 LS for an 06 LS, so I can't comment on how they will wear long-term. However, during the time I had them on my car, they were excellent -- smooth ride and very quiet. After I got them I told myself I should always replace any tires with these! If you're looking for a quiet, smooth ride, you won't be disappointed.

mhartler said:
I got the Falken Ziex ZE-512's from Discount Tire. No issues after 3000+ miles.

:Beer

Marc

I just put the same thing on my wife's 02 and we really like them. Paid $470 shipped, for 235/50/17 I think. We love the look and the ride is pretty good. We get the occasional snow here in KC and they seem to get along fine.

Husker Z said:
I just put the same thing on my wife's 02 and we really like them. Paid $470 shipped, for 235/50/17 I think. We love the look and the ride is pretty good. We get the occasional snow here in KC and they seem to get along fine.

I just got some 235/55/16's last week and they rock, I love em...Free shipping at Discount tire right now, but I found em local for cheaper once you check out the mounting and balancing not to mention free rotation and flat repair.

Oh and the Falkens are SUPER quiet so far.

Thanks for the input on the Falken's, I haven't heard of them but will check them out

20"

I just put 20" rims on my LS. What should i do about the rubbing in the back. The front is ok now that some of the wheel well is gone but the back will rub when i turn sharp and fast, and when there is people in the back.

GO on Tirerack.com and chack out the Avon's. They were recently acquired by Cooper, but don't let that turn you off. They are still made in the UK, cooper just purchased the name. They started by making the tires for Bently and Rolls. Avon partnered with tire rack and came out with a new line addressing specific issues from the various polls on the tirerack site. I know I sound like an add for the site but they do good research and they are a good starting point. The tires will run you from $108 to $130 or so. I am waiting for mine to get here. It all comes down to research, so check out the reviews for our cars and ones that are similar in whieght and drive train.

Well I purchased the same tires that came stock on my 04LS, conti touring contacts. The price was right at $99 per tire. I know I could have gotten a better handling/performance tire but I was looking for quiet/ride-comfort over performance. Since I use snow tires during the winter months I disregarded the bad snow/traction rating I read from tirerack on the conti touring.

The Turanza tires were my second choice, $35 more per tire, however the 30000 mile rating concerned me because of the high miles I do per year...too much rubber left on the road.

The michelins were big dough, $170+/tire. Couldn't justify that with college tuition just around the corner with a job site that may be closing in a few months.

The good year assurance looked good, but didn't come in a v-rated tire.

The BF Goodrich traction T/A came in a v-rating however they are not very quiet. These tires hedge toward the performance side. My son loves them on his grand am

The yokohama's would have been a good fit, v-rated, quiet, with a 60000 mile rating at $108/tire but I refuse to by japanese.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I bought a set of Fuzion HRi 245/45HR/17. These are good, quite-riding tires. They also handle well. They have an "H" rating they have not given my any trouble. I got them from tire rack for a great price. They're about $115 each I think.

Members online

Back