Tire pressure question

Stopsign002

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So my max rated is 51 according to the tires. I would imagine this is cold tire pressure? I have them all around 40 at the moment but I was filling them up at a gas station and had been driving. Gotta find a better way to do that besides driving to a gas station.

Never go with the psi rating on the tire. It has nothing to do with what is required for the vehicle (that tire can fit more than one vehicle, obviously, and each vehicle is going to have a different specification). That is only the max load rating for the tire.

Go with the sticker on the door jamb, or something close. I carry 32 psi (cold). The sticker on my door jamb calls for 30 psi cold.

Never go with the psi rating on the tire. It has nothing to do with what is required for the vehicle (that tire can fit more than one vehicle, obviously, and each vehicle is going to have a different specification). That is only the max load rating for the tire.

Go with the sticker on the door jamb, or something close. I carry 32 psi (cold). The sticker on my door jamb calls for 30 psi cold.

But isn't that only for factory tires? I don't see how any vehicle specs could have anything to do with the tires besides weight.

Do u google? This is why mark posted that post in your other thread. Dont take it personal, just....enlightening you :)

Do u google? This is why mark posted that post in your other thread. Dont take it personal, just....enlightening you :)

I do Google. And there are mixed opinions. Just wanted to see what you guys thought since I trust you all at least a little more than the rest of the internet

Max pressure listed on the tire is the maximum cold inflation pressure that you can use. Above that, and the tire may explode. It does not by any means indicate what you should inflate it to.

If the tire is the same (or nearly the same) width and outer diameter as the stock tires (inner diameter does not matter), then you use the inflation pressures listed on the driver's door.

If it is a much different size (so different that you probably couldn't fit it on there), then you will have to do some calculation. The pressure is all about the contact footprint between the tire and the road. Within limits, more pressure = less contact = better mileage = worse ride and handling. Less pressure = more contact = better traction = worse mileage = worse handling. (Correct pressure = correct handling)

This has actually been discussed on here a fair amount and fairly recently :rolleyes:

i like 35psi, but i'm currently running 32psi. I tried 40psi once and hated it, could feel every bump on the road...even more.

Tire manufacturers have no idea what vehicles' they will end up on... The car is designed for a certain pressure..

+1 on 32psi.

I believe the 40psi on the sidewall signifies the max a tire shop can use to seal the bead or whatever?

+1 on 32psi.

I believe the 40psi on the sidewall signifies the max a tire shop can use to seal the bead or whatever?

I think (I'm not an expert) that the max pressure is the max safe operating pressure for the tire. The same size tire may fit a car that calls for 30 PSI and a truck that calls for 50 PSI. In the case of the car, you would be okay. In the case of the truck, you couldn't use it because you couldn't safely inflate it to the pressure the truck calls for (it wouldn't correctly support the weight of the truck).

I'm a little odd and when I have access to a compressor I fill them to 33 psi. I don't think I'd fill it to 40psi.

40# your asking for premature center tire wear.

I run 32# to 34# with even wear.

+1 on 32psi.

It means max cold pressure. A shop can, and will, fill a tire way past 40 to seat a bead

I run around 35. If I plan to be doing some hail-mary driving I will up it to around 40. Usually run the fronts about 2-3 PSI higher then the rears, so 40/38 for aggressive driving. That is for the ContProContacts that I have though. I have ran them at 45/42 before which helped the response of the car but it tended to skid more. Those tires are known to have a fairly soft sidewall for better ride comfort/noise so it was as I expected it. A true performance tire should have a relatively stiff sidewall which means you can run a lower PSI for better traction.

"Optimum" PSI is highly dependent upon the weight of the car, balance of the car, suspension, driving conditions, and type of tires. We might as well be debating oil as well since everyone will have an opinion. Certainly nothing wrong with what is on the door-jamb, but I would view it as a reference point. If the car feels a little loose or sloppy in corners or feels like it floats then try adding some PSI and see if it feels better for you. If the car feels great then just leave it alone unless you are getting uneven treadwear.
If the car feels like it's beating the hell out of you when you run over a pebble then maybe lower the PSI a little. It's all a trial-by-error crapshoot really.

I run around 35. If I plan to be doing some hail-mary driving I will up it to around 40. Usually run the fronts about 2-3 PSI higher then the rears, so 40/38 for aggressive driving. That is for the ContProContacts that I have though. I have ran them at 45/42 before which helped the response of the car but it tended to skid more. Those tires are known to have a fairly soft sidewall for better ride comfort/noise so it was as I expected it. A true performance tire should have a relatively stiff sidewall which means you can run a lower PSI for better traction.

"Optimum" PSI is highly dependent upon the weight of the car, balance of the car, suspension, driving conditions, and type of tires. We might as well be debating oil as well since everyone will have an opinion. Certainly nothing wrong with what is on the door-jamb, but I would view it as a reference point. If the car feels a little loose or sloppy in corners or feels like it floats then try adding some PSI and see if it feels better for you. If the car feels great then just leave it alone unless you are getting uneven treadwear.
If the car feels like it's beating the hell out of you when you run over a pebble then maybe lower the PSI a little. It's all a trial-by-error crapshoot really.

Thanks, thats some good information right there

Members online

No members online now.
Back