Tire help!

papilos

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to know what you guys consider the best tires for winter performance on an LS. I have an 05 LS with trac control. I don't want snow tires I was looking into continental xtreme contact (something like that) which are rated high for snow and wet traction. Anyone familiar with these tires on an LS? I know some tires may be good but wear fast on certain vehicles.

please help I want your help before I place my order!

Well you didn't really give it a whole lot of time before ya started bumping huh? Ha-ha
I have had good luck with the Continental brand, they wear like iron. Check out the Michellin MXM4 too.

There's no need to bump after 14 minutes.

Call up Tire Rack, they will offer assistance to find a tire best suited for your needs. We don't know how you drive, nor what conditions you might come across. If you reside in the US, you might as well order from them as well.

sorry fellas, my first time in wayyyyy to long that I post on here. It's hard to come on at work so i was a bit anxious! thanks for the replies, i plan on going through tirerack but i don't trust sales people i'd rather chat with other LS owners to get feedback. seekonkholen1....thats what i wanted to know brother!!! wear like iron! conti's it is! I had nitto tires that i got for a good deal 3 yrs ago and they were garbage after 2 yrs

The 'Rack actually has great sales people from what I've heard. They know their stuff, unlike, say Discount Tire Direct.

You can't go wrong with the ExtremeContact DWS tire, but be aware the sidewalls are apparently a little soft (comfy). Some Lexus LS owners reported pulling with them, but YMMV. They also won't compare to a dedicated snow tire, such as the General Altimax Arctic.

I ran the Conti Extreme DWS last time around in a 245/45/17

Decent tire, handled well in all weather (I live in cleveland, so snow here sucks)

however, I have to agree with M4rk... the sidewall is way too weak on these. I found myself pumping them to 42-45PSI to get rid of the odd highway tracking.

I've been running these for over a year now, and they've handled a Michigan/Northern Indiana winter pretty well that had more snow than years past. They've also been running well through the summer too. I was a little hesitant buying a Dunlop car tire but it has worked for me; turns out they're owned by Goodyear. I have just over 20k miles and they're probably at about half until they need replacing. Just know your limits as a driver, any tire will slip in the snow, but obviously some are better than others.

Dunlop - SP Sport Signature

Enjoy, and good luck shopping. I would have gone Tire Rack, but I got these locally at a place that was more convenient and at a good price.

i've been using hankook icebear tires during the winter which is good enough for colorado winters which believe me is pretty intense.

Im going to check in with my local ford dealer because they ran an add claiming to have a large stock, 100 cash back, and match price. Let's see but the highway tracking is something that has me curious....i want my ride to be as close to perfect as I can with good winter traction. i'll post a pic or two when I make my selection and have them installed.

I know their not exactly rated as snow tires, but last november or so I had a set of 245/45-17 Goodyear eagle GT's put on my car. The snow here isn't quite as bad as Cleveland, but I got around pretty well. I think I spent around $770 for 4 tires and a 4 wheel alighment.

I've had hankooks on a taurus (front & rear) and have them on the ls now (front) the real noticable feature (besides long wear) is the noise. They are loud tires. Gonna rid myself of them when it comes time for newbies. On the back of the ls we have bridgestone blizzak's. They look like they will last until the spring tread wise. I just hope we don't get the same kind of winter we had last year. Had 3ft of snow in my yard for the entire season, blowing the driveway every 2 days. If you saw my driveway, it would be clear it or leave the car at the bottom. 100ft long as well.

Main roads here in NH are generally ok, but the secondary roads tend to blow blue marbles, and sometimes I think I should have a hummer to get around.

I have been running Toyos, Sumitomo's (owned by Falken) for few years now and won't switch over to anything else. Great tires, with outstanding all year around performance.

Been running Michelin Pilot sports for the past couple of months, and i must say I'm in love.

I have been running Toyos, Sumitomo's (owned by Falken) for few years now and won't switch over to anything else. Great tires, with outstanding all year around performance.

Are they the HTR III or +, are they quiet, and how are they with tramlining?

I know so many questions

We have sumitomo htr a/s p01's on my wife's scion tc. Nice tires. Behave well in the wet stuff. Haven't seen snow yet, as they just went on. No weird tracking though :)

I've had hankooks on a taurus (front & rear) and have them on the ls now (front) the real noticable feature (besides long wear) is the noise. They are loud tires. Gonna rid myself of them when it comes time for newbies. On the back of the ls we have bridgestone blizzak's. They look like they will last until the spring tread wise. I just hope we don't get the same kind of winter we had last year. Had 3ft of snow in my yard for the entire season, blowing the driveway every 2 days. If you saw my driveway, it would be clear it or leave the car at the bottom. 100ft long as well.

Main roads here in NH are generally ok, but the secondary roads tend to blow blue marbles, and sometimes I think I should have a hummer to get around.

I had Hankooks on my SHO and they were the loudest tires I have ever owned! Traction and wear were good, had to turn up the stereo though.

I had Hankooks on my SHO and they were the loudest tires I have ever owned! Traction and wear were good, had to turn up the stereo though.

I know, with the windows rolled up I can hear them from inside. No wonder grown men cower, ladies shriek, and babies cry when I drive by :p

I know, with the windows rolled up I can hear them from inside. No wonder grown men cower, ladies shriek, and babies cry when I drive by :p

LOL. When i left the tire store, I thought I had a wheel bearing going bad.

If you have consistent snowfall for a good chunk of the winter, you cant really beat a dedicated snow tire and wheel (I use conti extreme winter contacts 225 55 17 iirc). All-seasons quickly lose their snow traction capabilities. Snow tires will lose ice traction first but still hold strong in the snow department. Forget about ice with all-seasons. The extreme contact DWS is a good all around tire though (I have them on my wife's taurus since its decent in the winter with front drive) and they will get you through medium to light snowfall just fine. Perhaps a little gimmicky, but they have the wear indicator letters that let you know when snow traction is gone, then water, then dry.

Members online

No members online now.
Back