tire blow out =(

mrfuzz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

Well it happened for the first time.. Had a tire blow out on the way to work. Rear driver side. Here are the pictures take a look for your self.

Ended up getting all new tires at cost of $650. Falken ZE512's. Going to more or less cost 2 grand to get it fixed up. Need new bumper, And paint job on passenger door.

I just washed and waxed the car over the weekend too.

img00029vo4.jpg

img00026qc3.jpg

img00028jt9.jpg

IF anyone can help with me getting a new bumper that would be great!

That really sucks! Glad to see you are safe and sound. Are you sure it wasn't the rear DRIVERS side that blew?

Good catch, Let me make that correction :). It's been a lonnggg day. I had to wait 3 hours in 100 degree florida weather for flat bed... The one they sent broke down on the way. Go figure huh? Standing in

Ouch. Im going in for a new set of 4 Sumitomo HTR+ (18 inch) tires tomorrow..to replace the ones I've gotten 29k on. All 4 are SEVERELY worn on the innermost part of the inside tread..due to the camber caused by the lowering (eibachs). (and yes, I did rotate every 5k front to back..and always kept pressure at 30psi) Rest of the tread is GREAT. But I literally have at least one tire..with a developing HOLE that I can see through. $132 installed each corner.

OW! Too damn bad it couldn't just go flat. That bumper might could be repaired for cheaper than replacing it. Did it damage any of the metal?

After looking at the damage some more. We might be able to bondo some of the items back together. Where it broke off from the fender. And down near the skirt there is a hole, or were plastic pulled up.

I suppose a repair will be fine for now, And replace the bumper later on. However, the car does need new paint on rear driver side regardless. Pictures doesn't do justice :)

I actually had one of the tires you just bought blow out from an NYC crater last summer. Actually, it was two of them in three weeks. Nothing happened to my car except a hole in each of the sidewalls, but that still sucked.

Glad you're ok.

Anyone have an extra bumper. Dont matter what year. It will still fit :).

i remember i got a flat when i was coming back from a water park once. i didn't know i had a flat till half way home and still made it. roughly, 45 miles. consider yourself lucky, you still came out without a scratch (although your LS didn't). it could always be much worse, we're glad you're ok

Just a thought, but was this flat induced in anyway by either your driving habits (driving on bald tires, bad alignment, burnouts, etc etc) or road hazards?

If it just simply blew out on it's own, there stands a very good chance the tire manufacture is liable for at the very least, replacement of the tire and possibly repair of any damage it caused.

Anyone have an extra bumper. Dont matter what year. It will still fit :).

Nah, 1st and 2nd gen rear bumpers are very different. Look up some pics in the photo garage and compare the two.

If it just simply blew out on it's own, there stands a very good chance the tire manufacture is liable for at the very least, replacement of the tire and possibly repair of any damage it caused.
Good thought, but doubtful they'd cover it unless the tire was still under the manufacturers warranty. (which is usually less than a year) That could be worth looking into though.

The Falken ZE512's are nice, I had them on my aveo. About a year ago Falken improved on the ZE512's and come out with ZE912's, which is what I'm running. I realy like the new 912's but still only has a 360 TW rating.

Thanks for your input everyone, Im glad I made it out okay too!

Let me fill you guys in

Just a thought, but was this flat induced in anyway by either your driving habits (driving on bald tires, bad alignment, burnouts, etc etc) or road hazards?

- all 4 tires are aged, I bought the car with the tires on it already. They were just starting to get down to wear bars. Contintenal ContactSports.

The Falken ZE512's are nice, I had them on my aveo. About a year ago Falken improved on the ZE512's and come out with ZE912's,

I originally was going to get the ZE912's. But Discount Tire was sold out, And couldn't get them in until next day. So I settled.

As for Insurance.. Im going to call on that in the AM. See what they have to say. Tell them I had a tire blow out and have them asses the damage done. Bumper will probably be the most expensive part of all.

Id rather pay a slightly higher premium if there is one, Than have to pay out of pocket to get the damage fixed. I want it to be fixed right. With the damage done makes me feel violated. No joke.

I dont even know where to look for a bumper, Id like to get the LSE skirts for it aswel. Opinions?

Ouch a friend of mine had a blow out in his ls over 100. His story was that he did a 360 or something similar, no damage to anything. I called bs but thankfully you're ok

After looking at the damage some more. We might be able to bondo some of the items back together. Where it broke off from the fender. And down near the skirt there is a hole, or were plastic pulled up:)

just so everyone knows, bondo is a dent filler for body panels, it is in no way a bonding agent, it will not bond or glue anything back together, i hope i cleared things up, :)

Yeah thanks.

Well, Called insurance today. They wont do no fault or comprehensive.. Thats statefarm for you. They are calling it a "collision" and my deductable is $500 for that, rather than $250. Going to call again later and see what more can be done

None the less, Had the damage assessed by local body shop. It grand total was nearly $1,400, Or more, He couldn't find all the parts in the system.

wow and they say my damage isnt 8000.lol luckly you dont need a quarter panel... thats 1300 just for the panel!

I dont even know where to look for a bumper, Id like to get the LSE skirts for it aswel. Opinions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Look over there...
We got two sponsors who can hook you up with a discount when you call and say you're a member at LVC.

edit: ok, you'll have to scroll up some, but they're there.

Members online

Back