Tints on LS = bad idea

That is such BS..................

2002OhioLSE said:
Where I am from a good majority of departments show up to court. There are a lot of people that fight a ticket just to be stubborn and think they may have an actual argurment. Cops aren't going to pull you over, take the chance of risking their lives or saftey unless they have a valid reason for writing the citation. Lets face it.....if you don't want a ticket, the easy solution is don't break the law.

You believe what you will, but it has been proven to be different. Ever heard of racial profiling?? I am sure that you have. Now no one here said that the reason that they got pulled over was because they were a minority, but a few have stated that they have been pulled over because they were young and in a nice car. It is still profiling. Young person in a nice car, must be up to no good. Cops pull people over for ambiguous reasons all of the time. Like I said, I came form a family of lawmen, I know what they do. I have been with them on occasion. And they do pull people over just to harass them. That is how they get and keep their hardazz reputations.

Oh and by the way, I am not a person of color, nor a young punk, I am a 46 year old very well respected computer security professional. I simply got pulled over because of the tint. And the officer admitted to me that the only reason that he pulled me over was because he thought that my 23 year old son was driving. And he also admitted that he would not show up in court for such a trivial matter. Guess that I just blew your theory all to Hell.

bufordtpisser said:
You believe what you will, but it has been proven to be different. Ever heard of racial profiling?? I am sure that you have. Now no one here said that the reason that they got pulled over was because they were a minority, but a few have stated that they have been pulled over because they were young and in a nice car. It is still profiling. Young person in a nice car, must be up to no good. Cops pull people over for ambiguous reasons all of the time. Like I said, I came form a family of lawmen, I know what they do. I have been with them on occasion. And they do pull people over just to harass them. That is how they get and keep their hardazz reputations.

Oh and by the way, I am not a person of color, nor a young punk, I am a 46 year old very well respected computer security professional. I simply got pulled over because of the tint. And the officer admitted to me that the only reason that he pulled me over was because he thought that my 23 year old son was driving. And he also admitted that he would not show up in court for such a trivial matter. Guess that I just blew your theory all to Hell.

Yup, that's pretty much the truth. In my profession I work with and around a lot of law enforcement personel (NOTE: I am NOT a police officer; do not misunderstand me and think I am; I have no desire to have an argue match as I witnessed on another tint posting). The simple truth is that getting pulled over for tint is one of a few things; an officer that is having a horribly slow day and bored out of his mind, a hard-ass officer that is such stickler for rules that his co-workers hate him, an officer you've "made an impression" with through prior dealings, or... and this is the big one... it is the best violation they can spot to pull you over because, as it was said... you fit the "profile". Drug Trafficers don't drive old beat up Ford Fiesta's with steel wheels, clear windows and pounds of rust. Plain and simple; a blacked out luxury car, lowered, with a nice set of wheels certainly looks the part. If you don't want to be pulled over, make sure you don't give a reason.

On a side note: Lane usage is also a great voilation to get someone pulled over for those of you that love to drive in the left lane for miles on end.

And yes, it is true that a moving violation or mechanical violation alone will not grant access for an officer to search your vehicle. However, getting you pulled over and starting the interview process is the first step in having just cause for performing a search. A good officer WILL punch through your story and find the holes when you lie... and that is all it takes, once you start tripping over your story that's all it takes.

Moral of all of this: keep it legal, tell the truth... if you don't want to keep it legal, don't be doin shady stuff, don't lie and be ready to get pulled over and pay fines. It's clear cut, simple and easy. Oh, if you really want your tint, just find an eye doctor to write you a note that you need it because of "over sensitive" eye sight; all states have a medical exception for tint.

As for me... my car is going to get 20% all around. My truck has 35 on the sides, 5 on the back... 5 is too dark for me; hard to see out of at night. 35 is a bit light, but still better than nothing. So it seems 20 will be a good all around comprimise.

NateRW21 said:
Yup, that's pretty much the truth. In my profession I work with and around a lot of law enforcement personel (NOTE: I am NOT a police officer; do not misunderstand me and think I am; I have no desire to have an argue match as I witnessed on another tint posting). The simple truth is that getting pulled over for tint is one of a few things; an officer that is having a horribly slow day and bored out of his mind, a hard-ass officer that is such stickler for rules that his co-workers hate him, an officer you've "made an impression" with through prior dealings, or... and this is the big one... it is the best violation they can spot to pull you over because, as it was said... you fit the "profile". Drug Trafficers don't drive old beat up Ford Fiesta's with steel wheels, clear windows and pounds of rust. Plain and simple; a blacked out luxury car, lowered, with a nice set of wheels certainly looks the part. If you don't want to be pulled over, make sure you don't give a reason.

On a side note: Lane usage is also a great voilation to get someone pulled over for those of you that love to drive in the left lane for miles on end.

And yes, it is true that a moving violation or mechanical violation alone will not grant access for an officer to search your vehicle. However, getting you pulled over and starting the interview process is the first step in having just cause for performing a search. A good officer WILL punch through your story and find the holes when you lie... and that is all it takes, once you start tripping over your story that's all it takes.

Moral of all of this: keep it legal, tell the truth... if you don't want to keep it legal, don't be doin shady stuff, don't lie and be ready to get pulled over and pay fines. It's clear cut, simple and easy. Oh, if you really want your tint, just find an eye doctor to write you a note that you need it because of "over sensitive" eye sight; all states have a medical exception for tint.

As for me... my car is going to get 20% all around. My truck has 35 on the sides, 5 on the back... 5 is too dark for me; hard to see out of at night. 35 is a bit light, but still better than nothing. So it seems 20 will be a good all around comprimise.
Is that true about the perscription from an eye doctor? Because my eyes are very bad and the tint actually does help...

bufordtpisser said:
Like I said, I came form a family of lawmen, I know what they do. I have been with them on occasion. And they do pull people over just to harass them. That is how they get and keep their hardazz reputations.

Dude, your embarresing to yourself and your family now. So you admit you come from a long line of "hardazz" cops who purposely harass people? If thats true then i'll make a bet their "reputation" is being A-holes. Seems you have a chip on your shoulder or have had bad experiences. Something has altered your perspective alittle extreme. Also a cop doesnt have to prove anything to you when he writes the citation. If the "ambiguous" law says 20% is illegal and his little meter says your tint is illegal then you get a ticket, period. If his radar says 55 and the speed limit is 50, you get a ticket. Its then your duty i guess to fight it and prove his enforcing of the law was incorrect. Look at the little tint meter the same as a sobriety test. If you fail a sobriety test then the officer takes appropriate action. Its not up to a cop to decide if the law is right or incorrect or not clear enough. Thats what judges do. Perhaps question why he was interesting in your 23 yr old son driving your car? How are your sons driving habits? Why would he attract the attention of a cop? Your not getting a ticket had nothing to due with your questioning and turning into Geraldo Rivera on him, he was being lazy. Perhaps he lost his pen and had nothing to write with. You can have as wacky of a view as you want but it still doesnt change a cops ability to enforce a law. Every law got put on the books by judges and politicians who got elected by people like you, if you vote, which at 46 yrs old you have alot of voting time under your belt. Your ultimately being a baby over something you know is wrong.

I havent had a problem. When I had the Colorstorm Lights that were flashing blue I did. But didn't have to pay the ticket or court fee. I took them off and sold them because i didnt think they went well with the LS. But even when I got pulled over the cop didnt say anything. I guess its where you live though.

NateRW21 said:
The simple truth is that getting pulled over for tint is one of a few things; an officer that is having a horribly slow day and bored out of his mind, a hard-ass officer that is such stickler for rules that his co-workers hate him, an officer you've "made an impression" with through prior dealings, or... and this is the big one... it is the best violation they can spot to pull you over because, as it was said... you fit the "profile". Drug Trafficers don't drive old beat up Ford Fiesta's with steel wheels, clear windows and pounds of rust. Plain and simple; a blacked out luxury car, lowered, with a nice set of wheels certainly looks the part. If you don't want to be pulled over, make sure you don't give a reason.
Moral of all of this: keep it legal, tell the truth... if you don't want to keep it legal, don't be doin shady stuff, don't lie and be ready to get pulled over and pay fines. It's clear cut, simple and easy.
Couldnt agree more. Best point of view yet. Some people tend to get all bent out of shape about stuff like this. Its reality though, either choose to accept it or live a ridiculous life fighting things i guess. My wife got a tint ticket, the guy used a little meter and wrote her a ticket. I know its darker than allowed so i just paid it. Done deal. People like buford make for good bar stories for cops. "Hey Joe, i had this guy today who had illegal window tint and was asking me about the relative humidity and serial number of the tint meter...what a clown, hahahaha". It might vary a bit but i'm sure its something along those lines. Reminds me of a guy who got arrested for tresspassing, after being told to leave he walked about eight steps then turned around and came back because he wanting the officers badge number, as if that was his right and duty as a citizen to be able to request a badge number or something. And profiling happens, always has and always will. Back in the western days of if a "stranger" appeared in town you could call that profiling because you know the sheriff would be watching him. Hell, as a white guy if i was in the wrong place in my car i could get profiled as something i'm not. I know for sure that an area that a buddy of mine patrols, if i was seen driving around it would catch their attention, then if i did ANYTHING that would allow a traffic stop i'd be stopped and questioned. Its all about giving them a reason and dark tint will always give them a reason. As a 17 yr old kid i was ticketed for cutting thru a gas station to avoid a traffic light, i was ticketed and deserved it. I fought it anyway thinking i knew everything and the cop actually lied and added some BS to his story to make the ticket stick anyway. The judge was a complete prick too.

*First time dealing with a traffic court and i left thinking what an a$$hole the judge was. Now as a 31 yr old i get great pleasure to read that the very same judge not only just got removed from the bench but his benefits cut. Talk about karma, that guy was evil. Makes for some good reading.
http://www.local6.com/news/10672003/detail.html

blacked03ls said:
Is that true about the prescription from an eye doctor? Because my eyes are very bad and the tint actually does help...

Absolutely; depending on your state, just a doctors note on his/her's letter head might do it, or it might have to annotated on your driver's license. Check with your secretary of state.

Fla02LS said:
Dude, your embarresing to yourself and your family now. So you admit you come from a long line of "hardazz" cops who purposely harass people? If thats true then i'll make a bet their "reputation" is being A-holes. Seems you have a chip on your shoulder or have had bad experiences. Something has altered your perspective alittle extreme. Also a cop doesnt have to prove anything to you when he writes the citation. If the "ambiguous" law says 20% is illegal and his little meter says your tint is illegal then you get a ticket, period. If his radar says 55 and the speed limit is 50, you get a ticket. Its then your duty i guess to fight it and prove his enforcing of the law was incorrect. Look at the little tint meter the same as a sobriety test. If you fail a sobriety test then the officer takes appropriate action. Its not up to a cop to decide if the law is right or incorrect or not clear enough. Thats what judges do. Perhaps question why he was interesting in your 23 yr old son driving your car? How are your sons driving habits? Why would he attract the attention of a cop? Your not getting a ticket had nothing to due with your questioning and turning into Geraldo Rivera on him, he was being lazy. Perhaps he lost his pen and had nothing to write with. You can have as wacky of a view as you want but it still doesnt change a cops ability to enforce a law. Every law got put on the books by judges and politicians who got elected by people like you, if you vote, which at 46 yrs old you have alot of voting time under your belt. Your ultimately being a baby over something you know is wrong.

Thank you Fla02LS, you took the words right out of my mouth. I wasn't going to call this guys hardazz cop family bad cops but you did it for me. Any man of the law that has to prove that he is a badass to prove something if defacing the uniform he wears. You take an oath when you are appointed to uphold the laws, weather you agree with them or not. Also, you have a code or honor to uphold, meaning you aren't going to do anything to make your department, city or anyone associated with that city look like an ass and I think by saying openly that people in your family pull people over by profiling them to harass them is a disgrace!

I have an answer for everyone. Most states have an allowance for medically documented and prescribed tint. Not the hardest thing to get an optometrist to write. Now that will get you the results that you are looking for......dark tint. ;)

postalUT said:
Dark interiors will affect the reading.

Explain to me how Dark Interiors affect a Tint Meter's reading.

I only ask this because I've used Tint Meters. They slip onto the glass, with very little gap between the light emitting side, the receiving side (the measuring side), and the glass.

The meter doesn't care if you have a black interior, a white interior, or a purple with pink polkadots interior.

Frogman said:
Explain to me how Dark Interiors affect a Tint Meter's reading.

I only ask this because I've used Tint Meters. They slip onto the glass, with very little gap between the light emitting side, the receiving side (the measuring side), and the glass.

The meter doesn't care if you have a black interior, a white interior, or a purple with pink polkadots interior.
I just reread this entire thread and i was gonna point that out also. I like alot of the comments on how different things affect the reading, like temperature. Gotta be kidding me. Thats like saying the wind threw off the radar gun and caused a faulty reading. I guess alot of people dont know how a tint meter works. Oh well.

In Houston, it's been a semi-scandal the past few years where veteran cops write mad tickets during the overnight shift and then show up in traffic court in the day to get overtime pay. There were cops making well over 120K a year using this method.

marcredd said:
I have an answer for everyone. Most states have an allowance for medically documented and prescribed tint. Not the hardest thing to get an optometrist to write. Now that will get you the results that you are looking for......dark tint. ;)
i have hear this too, so i tried it. got a note and showed it to Jonny law and guess what he did? he said "show it to the judge" and gave me a ticket anyways. when he was about to let me leave he also let me know that if i have that kind of impaired eyesight then the judge might decide to revoke the privileged of driving or atl east no night driving. didn't seem worth it to me.

i got 5% on my mark viii all around.. cops usually dont bother me too much, they mention i should remove it when i get pulled over for other reasons. however i got nailed in one of those mobile inspection traps and that cost alot of money in court. but the tint is still there. a wiser man would have removed it , but it looks too damnn good. :cool:

shokher said:
i have hear this too, so i tried it. got a note and showed it to Jonny law and guess what he did? he said "show it to the judge" and gave me a ticket anyways. when he was about to let me leave he also let me know that if i have that kind of impaired eyesight then the judge might decide to revoke the privileged of driving or atl east no night driving. didn't seem worth it to me.

Well, there are some questions worth asking here. First, what are the laws pertaining to use of tint when perscribed by a doctor? Is just a doctor's note enough? Or do you need it annotated on your license? Is there a legal tint level for doctor prescribed tint? A lot factor's into this. One thing I will tell you, you can not loose your license of have it revoked because your eyes are over sensitive to light. Restricted night driving? Think about this for a second buddy!!! Over sensitivity to light generally means your eyes don't adjust correctly and they take in TOO MUCH LIGHT. How would that ever cause you to get restricted night driving? At night, when your eyes let in more light than normal and you are still able to focus, that is far from a bad thing. It actually provides for enhanced night vision.

The limitations are not nearly as strict as the officer made them sound. I wear semi-ridged contacts, which actually act somewhat as a magnifying glass does when it comes to light. I can see 50% better at night wearing my contacts than I can wearing my glasses. Why is that? Because the light is more focused. This doesn't in any way hamper my ability to drive during the day OR night. It does make it a bit more uncomfortable during the day when I don't have sunglasses, but it is manageable. This is in no way a reason to put limitations upon a license.

NateRW21 said:
I wear semi-ridged contacts, which actually act somewhat as a magnifying glass does when it comes to light. I can see 50% better at night wearing my contacts than I can wearing my glasses. Why is that? Because the light is more focused. This doesn't in any way hamper my ability to drive during the day OR night. It does make it a bit more uncomfortable during the day when I don't have sunglasses, but it is manageable. This is in no way a reason to put limitations upon a license.

Dude, I wore gas perms for 20+ years. I recently had LASIK done, and haven't looked back!! I figured with the price of contacts what they were, plus also needing back-up glasses, I will have the LASIK paid for in about 4 years!!

NateRW21 said:
Restricted night driving? Think about this for a second buddy!!! Over sensitivity to light generally means your eyes don't adjust correctly and they take in TOO MUCH LIGHT. How would that ever cause you to get restricted night driving? At night, when your eyes let in more light than normal and you are still able to focus, that is far from a bad thing. It actually provides for enhanced night vision.
Your all wrong on that and you actually answered your own question. Have you ever waken up in the middle of the night and turn a light on and your eyes just freak out. Imagine that sensitivity but all the time. When you are over sensitive and drive at night....headlights, streetlight, signs etc. cause added stress on your eyes and cause focus problems. Its like every car has their high beams on. So, as far as the tint/night driving goes, one has alot to do with the other. If your eyes are light sensitive enough to require tint, then they are most likely impaired to the point where night driving is also affected. My mother has had this issue somewhat. Bottomline, if you decide to go that route by bullsh!tting your way with some note your probably gonna get called out somewhere down the line, either by the officer or the judge. The easiest way to not get caught in a lie is to not lie in the first place. Either obide by the laws and be happy or get darker tint and own the fact that its illegal and subject to getting pulled over and a possible ticket. Its not really a hard concept to grasp folks???

Fla02LS said:
Your all wrong on that and you actually answered your own question. Have you ever waken up in the middle of the night and turn a light on and your eyes just freak out. Imagine that sensitivity but all the time. When you are over sensitive and drive at night....headlights, streetlight, signs etc. cause added stress on your eyes and cause focus problems. Its like every car has their high beams on. So, as far as the tint/night driving goes, one has alot to do with the other. If your eyes are light sensitive enough to require tint, then they are most likely impaired to the point where night driving is also affected. My mother has had this issue somewhat. Bottomline, if you decide to go that route by bullsh!tting your way with some note your probably gonna get called out somewhere down the line, either by the officer or the judge. The easiest way to not get caught in a lie is to not lie in the first place. Either obide by the laws and be happy or get darker tint and own the fact that its illegal and subject to getting pulled over and a possible ticket. Its not really a hard concept to grasp folks???

I totally understand what you're saying about accountability, but have you ever worn contacts? Daytime driving was always worse for me than night. The sun is infinitely brighter than any headlight or streetlight. If I didn't have sunglasses during the day, I would get a headache and my eyes would get very tired from the stress of the glare. I could drive for hours at night without any issues.

LS4me said:
I totally understand what you're saying about accountability, but have you ever worn contacts? Daytime driving was always worse for me than night. The sun is infinitely brighter than any headlight or streetlight. If I didn't have sunglasses during the day, I would get a headache and my eyes would get very tired from the stress of the glare. I could drive for hours at night without any issues.
I do not wear contact or glasses and as far as i know i still have 20/20 vision. But i too have fairly sensitive eyes in regards to sunlight which isnt easy in Florida. If i dont have sunglasses on when i am outside i will get a headache from the strain. As of yet i have not tinted the windows on my LS but a simple pair of sunglasses does the trick. Any % window tint would just be gravy on top. Unless you have a legit medical reason, and i dont know if just "discomfort" is enough, i dont see the note thing working out.

Here is a good site to read up on your states laws.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Well, there are some questions worth asking here. First, what are the laws pertaining to use of tint when perscribed by a doctor? Is just a doctor's note enough? Or do you need it annotated on your license? Is there a legal tint level for doctor prescribed tint?

Most states require that you apply for an exemption if you need tint that is outside the legal limit. This avoids the fraud and abuse as is being discussed in this thread. You usually need a supporting document from a doctor. The exemption goes on either your license or the vehicle registration.

I was interested in my states exact wording on this issue:

316.29545 Window sunscreening exclusions; medical exemption; certain law enforcement vehicles exempt.-- (1) The department shall issue medical exemption certificates to persons who are afflicted with Lupus or similar medical conditions which require a limited exposure to light, which certificates shall entitle the person to whom the certificate is issued to have sunscreening material on the windshield, side windows, and windows behind the driver which is in violation of the requirements of ss. 316.2951-316.2957. The department shall provide, by rule, for the form of the medical certificate authorized by this section. At a minimum, the medical exemption certificate shall include a vehicle description with the make, model, year, vehicle identification number, medical exemption decal number issued for the vehicle, and the name of the person or persons who are the registered owners of the vehicle. A medical exemption certificate shall be nontransferable and shall become null and void upon the sale or transfer of the vehicle identified on the certificate.

Doesnt say anything about an eye doctor, just limited sun exposure. Also it appears you have to apply for a "certificate". A handwritten note from a doctor doesnt seem to be suffucient at the time of a traffic stop. I also noticed it didnt specify how dark it could be.

I would suggest searching www.megalaw.com for your own states laws.

Another interesting wording regarding the light meters:

3) The department shall adopt rules approving light transmittance measuring devices for use in making measurements required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954. A witness otherwise qualified to testify shall be competent to give testimony regarding the percentage of light transmission when the testimony is derived from the use of an approved device. The reading from an approved device is presumed accurate and shall be admissible into evidence in the trial of any infraction arising under ss. 316.2951-316.2954

marcredd said:
Actually it is a lot harder than you think, well in NY anyway. After hearing that going to your eye DR. and telling them about your sensitive eyes they still wouldn't budge. There are 3 different types of eye problems you need to have to get the note from the DR. Trust me i had a very good talk with my eye doctor and there is no way i could get it. It sucks my black ls looked awesome with 20% tint all the way around. Plus i can't stand being at an intersection and feeling like your in a movie with everyone staring. But on a serious note tint really does help your eyes when its very bright out. My contacts go nuts and i get headache if i have no sun glasses on.

Members online

Back