Timing chain tensioners

The ls ss

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 v8. I am hearing a bit of a clicking sound from the passenger side of the engine. I assume it is the timing chain tensioner beginning to fail. It is cold here, and I do not have easy access to a garage right now. The question is, can I run it as-is until spring when it is warm and I can replace the tensioners, or is it likely going to fail and wreck my engine?

I have a 2002 v8. I am hearing a bit of a clicking sound from the passenger side of the engine. I assume it is the timing chain tensioner beginning to fail. It is cold here, and I do not have easy access to a garage right now. The question is, can I run it as-is until spring when it is warm and I can replace the tensioners, or is it likely going to fail and wreck my engine?
If they are truly starting to go you need to change them right away unless you want to end up doing the whole timing chain or replacing a motor.

I thought that only 2000 and 2001 LS V8 had the bad timing tensioners? I also thought that in September 2001 (which would be early 2002 models) they upgraded the tensioners? Am I missing something?

I thought that only 2000 and 2001 LS V8 had the bad timing tensioners? I also thought that in September 2001 (which would be early 2002 models) they upgraded the tensioners? Am I missing something?
They still go bad you know! Things do wear out. I have had them go bad on a 2006 LS as well things do need to be replaced after a while. You might be right about it being revised but he is saying he hears ticking and thinks the tensioners are starting to wear so it would be wise to at least check it out under the valve cover. I was thinking they finally revised it in the Generation 2 but I might be wrong. @The ls ss How many miles does your LS have?

I would honestly have them checked out if you are hearing a noise like that with that kinda mileage to be safe. I had a Gen 2 with the Metal ones which were the revised ones go bad around 200K miles. I am sure a lot of stuff factors in to how these things last such as previous owners doing oil changes with correct oil and stuff and the normal wear itself.

Does the clicking go away once the engine is up to Temp? A video would be helpful ...search YouTube there is a video of bad chains on there ...you'll know when you see and hear the guys car if your chains are loose

Mine started to chatter at 253k, put 12 oz. Nanolib desiel oil additive and in three minutes that noise went away. Now have 476k on the original 3.9l
Runs 20 a quart
in a 5 gal bucket. Google NIS CORP

Members online

Back