Timing Chain Teardown Time

That valve on the fan pump is the unit that changes the pressure making the fan go from LOW to HIGH speed and back.
Ah ha. Ok.

Note: You are suppose to change out the teflon "o"rings on the fan lines.(and PS lines) You need install tool to slide and strech the stiff teflon o'ring over the threads. The tool looks like a bullet I make my own just a FYI.
Will do. Thanks for the tip!

Now all you gotta do is remember where everything goes without having extra bolts when you're done :D

LOL! Let me tell you that FOR SURE there will be one extra bolt. That fan pump can hang on with 3. :runaway:

I've seen those wrenches and need to get a set!!!

I have considered the electric fan and have done some searches on the forum. I have read on some of the mustang boards that the two speed taurus electric fan has a a capacity of 4300 cfm!

It seems that you would still need to install the fan pump for the serpentine belt and loop the hydraulic line at least from what I have read.

Valve covers

Last night I got the valve covers off and not to my surprise, the secondary timing chain tensioner is total junk. The chain has about 1/4-3/8 play in it. On the bottom of the tensioner the plastic covering is totally broken and alot of the pieces fell down and collected on the engine cover along with a small bit of metal shavings. Good times! I'm glad I quite driving it when this noise started!!!!

The circled pic is where the collection of plastic is.

engine.jpg

pass side.jpg

shavings.jpg

Thanks for doing this. Its interesting, and educational, and insightful on something many of us will face if we have our LSs long enough and the balls of a tiger (like you) to take this job on.

Keep it up!

Thanks for doing this. Its interesting, and educational, and insightful on something many of us will face if we have our LSs long enough and the balls of a tiger (like you) to take this job on.

Keep it up!

:lol: Well thanks man. I know this is no tech article, but maybe the lincoln community won't be nervous to try it. The way I look at it is, if someone else can do it, so can I.

+1 on going the electric fan route. Are you going to upgrade anything while you have the car torn down?

For sure the sway bar bushings. Most likely the electric fan. I saw on ebay a high output alternator I would like to pick up if I do install the fan. The alternator is pretty easy to get to, so I could do that later. There just isn't alot out there that's just bolt on.

I will pick up a CAI but I like to put an engine back together after a big tear down with all of the stock parts to make sure it runs right. It eliminates any variables that could be a problem with after market parts. That way you don't second guess anything. Once I know its running good then I'll install the goodies.:D

Kinda looks like somebody (previous owner) didn't change the oil often enough in that thing, or they didn't use the right type of oil. The factory recommended Motorcraft is a synthetic blend, and any synthetic oil is full of detergents to keep sludge and varnish buildup to a minumum, and help keep the crankcase clean. Some buildup is to be expected, and your engine is clean compared to some others I've seen with not even half the mileage.

Doing the sway bar now is smart. Much easier torn down like this, and for $20 in parts for the urethane bushing, it made a huge difference on my LS. That alone, when you get this back on the road, will put a big smile on your face.:D

More Progress

I have worked massive overtime the last few days so I haven't been able to work on the beast at all.

Tonight I finally got the front engine cover off. First though I had to remove the oil filter and oil cooler. One of the cooler lines is right in front of the harmonic balancer/crank pulley, maybe an inch of clearance or so. You have to remove the bolt that the oil filter spins on to which takes a 17mm allen socket. I didn't have anything that big so I hit a parts store to get one before work. Remove this bolt and the oil cooler comes off. That oil cooler holds more coolant than you would expect. Dumped out on my shoes.:D

The balancer pulled right off and then removed all 24 8mm bolts that hold the cover on. Finally able to see all of the guts. Found a couple of big chunks of plastic that had found it's way to the bottom.

harmonic balancer.jpg

harmonic puller.jpg

no balancer.jpg

chains.jpg

front cover.jpg

Now, I'm not showing these pics to alarm anyone. My car has 145k on it so maybe this why. On the timing chain guides I found a couple cracks in the plastic. I know the guides and arms have a metal strip inside for strength so I don't know if these could totally break or not.

crack 1.jpg

2nd crack.jpg

Hey De-marko, good job man, looks like a lot of work so far!

I have a 94 SHO and did the same job on that car, and honestly wasn't too bad at all. Even considering the V6 is turned sideways and the front of the engine was up against the fender wall, and I did it in a driveway in one weekend :). Good work though! Gives me a good idea of what I may have to do someday.....:(

Question though, my V8 has 136k miles on it, is this a common problem as these LSs get up there in age and milage?

I did the timing belt on my '93 SHO also and I agree that that wasn't too bad. Now the power steering pump on that car when it went out SUCKED!!

I don't know, to answer your question, if this would be needed on all high mileaged cars. I don't think mine had too much engine service ever performed on it. The spark plug gaps were burnt opened to .187 when I bought it. Plus every issue that needs attention on these cars that is part of the LS "experience" is or was present. Like '97Caddy pointed out the engine varnish seen in the pics is pretty bad. Doesn't look like oil changes were on the priority list. The VCG's leaked like a sieve and two coils were shot. Based on some of the "mods" that were on the car I think some irresponsible kid owned it at one time. If any car is well maintained major issues generally don't rear their ugly heads. My '99 explorer 5.0 has 247k and I keep it in top shape. In the almost 6 years I have had it. I have only replaced the power steering, brakes and front hubs.

Well I haven't touched the car in almost 3 weeks. I bought the tools to help do this job. The kit has the cam and crank position tools included. Your supposed to rotate the engine to TDC and then turn it another 45 degrees to install the crank holding tool into a crank trigger ring by the torque converter. When the engine is in the right position, the 4 cams have a flat spot on them that should all be facing up so you can install the cam holding tool. I also got the sway bar bushings installed.

tools.jpg

tools2.jpg

crank tool.jpg

swaybar.jpg

With the timing tensioner screwed up, the cam either jumped a tooth or the chain is really stretched out. The flat on the exhaust cam is way off. The other three cams were straight up.

camshaft.jpg

no chain.jpg

Looks like you are doing well. I just had to do the same thing and mine only had 124k miles when a secondary timing chain broke starting the car in my driveway. While you got the cover off, it would be best to change everything now. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thanks guys! Here is a pick of the offending tensioner. I will note that the drivers side tensioner also has a big crack running right down the middle. You can see at the bottom the plastic pad is totally gone.

tensioner front view.jpg

tensioner side view.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the exhaust camshaft sprocket. What does everyone think of the teeth, usable?

gear.jpg

I got the new goodies on today. Lots of elbow grease as gone into this engine.:yuck: Dirty ole thing. Plus, here is another project I'm helping on too.

new chain.jpg

93rx7.jpg

turbo.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back