Timing Chain Issue or Vaccum Leak? or Both?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I must be a glutton for punishment...bought another 2001 Lincoln LS V8 for $500 dollars...known issues going in.... cracked T-Stat Housing, Cracked degas bottle, DTC Trouble codes P0174 LEAN code for cylinder bank 2, P0113 is the OBD-II generic code that the engine control module (ECM) has recorded the IAT sensor output above expected sensor range and P0133 code Bank 1 Sensor 1
I haven't replaced all the Vaccum hoses yet but will, I ordered a new MAF sensor, alternator needs replacing, I replaced plugs just because Boush were prevously installed, need to replace fuel filter...Still running rough My last 2001 purred like a kitten the whole 5 years I had her and I never experienced what this engine could sound like when in such rough shape...even when my fuel pump issues happened my last LS sounded a million times better than this engine ( Just a quick note ...This car smooths out significantly when warmed up ) You are now shaking your head wondering why in God's Great Name would a guy buy a car in such a condition? I wonder this too :) ...but all is fairly easy to fix ....now for the BAD NEWS....I'm hearing what I believe to be a whining sound...Thanks to YOUTUBE I now think it could possibly be Timing Chain Tensioner or secondary...MY Question? Not being familiar with all the troublesome sounds of vaccum leaks or worn out timing chain tensioners... Can a person easily tell the difference between a air leak and a worn timing chain tensioner on this engine...sounds like from what I researched on the Forum a vaccum leak can make the engine shake and run rough just as a worn out tensioner can do the same...

same questions im having mine ran great first day 1k miles later fixing minor things along way got some roughness not sure if its vacuum or tensioner or tranny shudder

Vacuum leaks, when you can hear them, sound like whistles. The common timing chain problem sounds like a jar of marbles - there's videos of it on youtube.
I just use a long hose - stick one end in my ear and poke the other end around the engine bay.
Any OBDII scanner can tell you the IAT so that'll tell you if you're getting good readings now. I'd be surprised if that sensor failed - there's not much to it. A wiring problem seems more likely.
Gen 1 uses an idle air control valve (weird thing bolted to the side of the throttle body). May be worth checking that out - make sure it isn't real dirty or stuck. Note that it uses a gasket.

Vacuum leaks, when you can hear them, sound like whistles. The common timing chain problem sounds like a jar of marbles - there's videos of it on youtube.
I just use a long hose - stick one end in my ear and poke the other end around the engine bay.
Any OBDII scanner can tell you the IAT so that'll tell you if you're getting good readings now. I'd be surprised if that sensor failed - there's not much to it. A wiring problem seems more likely.
Gen 1 uses an idle air control valve (weird thing bolted to the side of the throttle body). May be worth checking that out - make sure it isn't real dirty or stuck. Note that it uses a gasket.
I watched the videos on YouTube and it sure sounds familiar and thanks for the info I didn’t even think of the hose pretty cool if it works

same questions im having mine ran great first day 1k miles later fixing minor things along way got some roughness not sure if its vacuum or tensioner or tranny shudder
What does your transmission fluid look like? If it’s not pink/light red it’s definitely suspect the over drive starts in 2nd gear so if your feeling a little shudder around 40 mph it could be the overdrive going out or the transmission is dropping into fail safe all together ...the only way to find out is to drive the car with a computer hooked up to see what the gears are actually doing any good Indi shop shop have the proper equipment to check it for you and they shouldn’t charge you for the dialysis if they’re on top of there game

her I am...... intermittent low speed gargles and little rough vibration most of the time was looking at the torque converter ...hit the gas or keep it up above idle rpms it runs ok dilliy dally like riding the clutch in a parking lot is rough ...shutting her down a vacuum hiss or two ...also currently chasing some fume at back of motor near firewall …. oil and water look good though hardly a budge brakes a little mushy ...I ordered a cam gasket set and some new tensioners and quick fit chains I know its not a waste gate making noise at low R's ….already changed coils and plugs but same problem though intermittent speaking volumes of bad vibretto ….. looking to pcv system also could be my cats are backed up I ran some techron fuel system cleaner and started running some lucas so I can imagine a little excess at the cats but not overly stated as there is a vac wistle at shut down whats the best approach to pvc cleaning

her I am...... intermittent low speed gargles and little rough vibration most of the time was looking at the torque converter ...hit the gas or keep it up above idle rpms it runs ok dilliy dally like riding the clutch in a parking lot is rough ...shutting her down a vacuum hiss or two ...also currently chasing some fume at back of motor near firewall …. oil and water look good though hardly a budge brakes a little mushy ...I ordered a cam gasket set and some new tensioners and quick fit chains I know its not a waste gate making noise at low R's ….already changed coils and plugs but same problem though intermittent speaking volumes of bad vibretto ….. looking to pcv system also could be my cats are backed up I ran some techron fuel system cleaner and started running some lucas so I can imagine a little excess at the cats but not overly stated as there is a vac wistle at shut down whats the best approach to pvc cleaning
Have you checked the fuel pressure and sounds like you might want to check the rubber gaskets on the top of your intake manifold the two hoses are on top of intake a little off to the left ... My gaskets crumbled like a cookie when I pulled those vacuum lines out also if you have a propane torch turn it on and wave it around the intake listen for the motor to rev higher this may help you find a leak but not always ...you might just want to start from scratch change all COP's MotorCraft preferably and NGK plugs then if it's still gurgling you can rule out a misfire but from my experience I had to change COP #4 on my last 2001 V8 because it was hesitating and had a bit of gurgle after I changed it it was back to purring liking a kitten ... You can have a misfire long before a DTC appears on the PCM

water from the windshield seal drips down the center crack on top of the cam cover and drips inside the number 4 ...they do use silicone which is cool but the fitment is critical plug covers and cam cover gaskets have to be compressed al dente

Members online

No members online now.
Back