Timing chain advice?

cableguynoe

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I know there are plenty of threads on timing chains, however mine has not gone bad.
But my LS just hit 200k, and apparently it's pretty incredible that i have never replaced this. So i want to do it before it takes a dump.

So what exactly should i get replaced considering it's still working fine..

The whole chain? The tensioners?

I wont be the one doing the work, but i know someone that knows what they're doing that does the work on my LS.

So i want to know exactly what parts to buy and what instructions to give him.
Thank you in advance for any information.

Change out everything behind the timing cover. Because your car is still running, you won't have to remove the heads like I had too. Get all 4 timing chains, all the tensioners(primary and secondary), all the guides(primary and secondary), timing cover gasket, and crankshaft seal. I think that should be it, but if not someone will chime in and add some things. Do it before it breaks a chain though. Mine broke starting my car to go to work.

Miles I believe aren't everything, heat, time, maintenance has more to do with it. Just pull valve covers and do a visual inspection. My LS let go at 110K and bent valves, I fixed it, and the other side had cracks forming but not yet failed, I replaced them too. Yet I did valve cover gaskets on a customers 01' with 190K and they had no signs of cracking or any abnormal wear anywhwere(they bought it new), I was expecting on finding cracks but didn't lokked brand new, and they changed oil when they felt like it at the nearest jiffy lubes :confused:

Timing Chains last forever?

I went to Autozone and NAPA, and both do not carry a single part for the timing chain on LS...not the tensioners, guides...nada.

I thought this was very weird so i called two different local dealers and both told me to not worry about replacing the timing chain if it hasn't gone bad. They said it should outlast the vehicle unlike belts that do need replacement.

Is this correct? They said that if anything, sometimes the plastic guides are what might break... but that the chain or hydrolic tensioners will not.

Even after i told them that my LS hit 200k and i wanted to do this before it took a dump... they still didn't want my money.

Do you guys agree with this?

I went to Autozone and NAPA, and both do not carry a single part for the timing chain on LS...not the tensioners, guides...nada.

I thought this was very weird so i called two different local dealers and both told me to not worry about replacing the timing chain if it hasn't gone bad. They said it should outlast the vehicle unlike belts that do need replacement.

Is this correct? They said that if anything, sometimes the plastic guides are what might break... but that the chain or hydrolic tensioners will not.

Even after i told them that my LS hit 200k and i wanted to do this before it took a dump... they still didn't want my money.

They said that because they didn't want to do the work. Like I said, a secondary timing chain broke on my LS one day while starting the car. I baby my car because I get my speed fix from a motorcycle. The hardest part, for me, was pulling the head and setting the timing, but seeing your car is still running then you won't have to worry about either one of those. Save yourself some money now. Labor should only be like 6 hours for a running car. If a chain breaks, that labor could double.

Yes This is a general statement for most cars, but not these animals, If it were a 4.6 engine like in a town car that statement is true. and in the in these 3.9 Lincoln's the tensionors(which are all plastic) is actually what fails not the chains, My secondary tensionor failed and a piece of it got jammed in the sprocket and broke the chain, I actually put used chains back on my engine from a core engine but put new secondary tensionors. there is a guy on here who showed pics of taking exhaust cam out and changing it without pulling timing cover, which actually is a 13 hour job. If you were to pay the dealer to do this job it is something like 3000$. This is a known issue with jags, they even have a repair setup where you cut your old chain and comes with a removable masterlink that is suppose to cut off like 10 hours, but not sure if it will work on the LS.

changing it without pulling timing cover, which actually is a 13 hour job.

Huh you must be a rookie in the mechanic department. Have you ever done the job personally? I have and it only took me 10 hours and I had to pull the head too. My secondary tensioner was fine when I removed the timing cover on my car. The tensioners and guides are actually metal, but they are encased in plastic which usually fails but not always. Go ahead and save you some money while it's still running. If I remember right, fbird did the quick fix and just changed out a tensioner and a few weeks later broke a different part of the timing assembly and blew up his motor. Just something to think about. Good Luck but I say change everything now before you have a real problem.

I am not a rookie, but don't exactly change these everyday either. The 13 hours is actual book time out of mitchell or chilton. something like 17 hours to replace a head gasket. Overall It was fairly quick, just those damn power steering pump bolts, one on each side trying to get broke loose and turn 1/16 of a turn at a time with gearwrench.

Yeah the power steering bolts sucked, but for me it was the bolts for the hydraulic fan clutch. Hated it lol. :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back