Tie Rods... Yum

02LincLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have replaced all the inners and outers at least twice, as well as individual tie rods here and there as needed. I now have to do inner driver side again. I used all motorcraft the last job and they seem to have done the best (vs whatever the tire shop slaps in there).

This latest failure may have been due to striking a hidden sunken manhole while braking for a red light. But still, these things seem to go 2 years tops. There wasn't even enough time for this bad one to rust. The boot is in good shape so I doubt it got wet or dirty.

Anyone else eat these for breakfast? Car has just under 176K

Still running on the originals, 140K and 100K miles.

Its strange since my ball joints are original and no issues... I figured my ball joints would also have issues if it was my "spirited" cornering maneuvers.

The car is lowered but I drove it quite a while before that and it was same thing. If anything, its gotten better. Are the tie rods unchanged on your gen 2 from gen 1? Its not a major deal since they're cheap, but gets kind of annoying to fix the same thing all the time.

On the plus side, this means I can likely improve on my 27.0 MPG commute once its fixed :p

My GEN I had 140K the tie rods were origonal. Boots were gone for a couple years, but no play yet. I had to do knuckles (lower ball joints not avaible yet) at around 40K. One of my rear upper control arms had some play when I traded but was still OK.

Members online

No members online now.
Back