Tie rod and alignment issue...think I got took.. HELP

atomheartmother

LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay here goes guys.. I come here as the help you all have offered has been graciously helpfu!! So anyways the insides of my front tires were worn, I noticed this after a thumping went on a few weeks..LOL
Anyways I figure (tie rods ball joints) so I go and get some new tires mounted balanced then head over to the alignment shop, they say they align it and note that the outer tie rods have some play. They charge me for the alignmemt and say the outers are no big deal. I drive off, still handles bad and the steering wheel is not leveled!!! UGGHHH I hate that it is at a slight angle, so can I go back and tell them I want my money back on the alignment you think? I plan to have them put on the new outer tie rods I bought at $10 each, I imagine they will want $120 labor or so but should they refund the alignment charge for screwing up as it feels like they did NOTHING as they should have not untill they fixed the tie rods first. Thanks

If they knew the tie rods were bad, they knew they were waisting your time and money aligning it.

atomheartmother said:
Okay here goes guys.. I come here as the help you all have offered has been graciously helpfu!! So anyways the insides of my front tires were worn, I noticed this after a thumping went on a few weeks..LOL
Anyways I figure (tie rods ball joints) so I go and get some new tires mounted balanced then head over to the alignment shop, they say they align it and note that the outer tie rods have some play. They charge me for the alignmemt and say the outers are no big deal. I drive off, still handles bad and the steering wheel is not leveled!!! UGGHHH I hate that it is at a slight angle, so can I go back and tell them I want my money back on the alignment you think? I plan to have them put on the new outer tie rods I bought at $10 each, I imagine they will want $120 labor or so but should they refund the alignment charge for screwing up as it feels like they did NOTHING as they should have not untill they fixed the tie rods first. Thanks

1. Break down your paragraphs n' stuff. That's a huge thing that I really didn't wanna read.

2. 10 dollar tie-rods on a heavy vehicle like that. I only use Moog, I'd suggest you go pick up a better pair of outer tie-rods.

3. It shouldn't cost more than 40 bucks/side.

4. If you steering wheel is crooked, go back. I doubt they will give your money back b/c they can say you hit a huge pot hole or such to knock it out. Also - CROWN in the road WILL AFFECT THIS. Make sure you are driving in the MIDDLE LANE of a 3=lane road that is well maitaned.

They can have a little bit of play - but if it's enough to notice than they should of tried to replace the outers first. Did they offer to replace the outers? That'll also help make your steering wheel crooked also.

Also, wear on the inner/outer sides of the tires are NOT tie rods, that's the Camber setting (How the wheel sits relative to the ground) and I think they will need to elongate your strut holes - more $$ (if adjustable at all .) FORD Vehicles are VERY BAD/KNOWN for this and they come like that from factory. Look at other FORD vehicles w/ tires that have been on a while, you'll notice it on their vehicles as well.

Hope this helps! :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back