Throttle response

amagalla

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
For some time now, I've had a bit of an issue with the throttle response on my wife's 04 LS. It takes about 1/2 a second to respond to any input. If I mash on the gas and let off fast enough, It's like I didn't do it at all. I suspect the issue is in the sensor in the throttle. I know that there is no cable from the pedal to the throttle body. There is only a sensor that tells the throttle body where the pedal is. Has any one experienced this on your cars? I can change the pedal for about $100 (give or take), but I don't want to waste $100 if that not the problem.

Thanks.

Tony

I dont know if I would say its a full half a sec, but any 2ng gen i have driven has had a bit of a delay compared to the cable driven 1st gens...

One of the many improvements on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] GEN. (if you can call it that)

like them or hate them, throttle by wire is the new norm... might as well get used to it.

I'm sure at the time, there were people who bitched about replacing simple carburetors with much more complicated fuel injection system.

I'm also pretty sure at the time, there were a lot of people bitching about replacing very easy to use typewriters with much more complicated computers...

I for one, would never go back to the caveman days of owning a 1st gen after also owning a 2nd... #MyTwoCents

I'd have to stick a console from a first into a second GEN. Can't stand the look of the second GEN console compared to the first GEN.

I'd have to stick a console from a first into a second GEN. Can't stand the look of the second GEN console compared to the first GEN.

I'd gladly switch cluster faces with you BigRigLS :D I can't stand the look of the 1st gen. Not sure if they're physically the same though.

I've cleaned everything, and replaced the filter. It just feels like the signal from the pedal to the throttle is delayed. It's hard to merge into fast traffic when you have factor in a 1/2 second delay.

Tony

... It just feels like the signal from the peddle to the throttle is delayed. ...

The odds of if being the pedal assembly are low. There are at least two independent position sensors in there. If they don't both agree (same position at the same time), the PCM will trigger ETC failsafe.

Are you sure the delay isn't in the transmission?

My wife's 03 ... had to move it out of the driveway, so I could get my 01 around the wood pile back into the garage ... it, the 03, you sit there, hold the pedal to the floor, count to five and it eventually gets up to 2500 RPM, pretty sad, can't be right. When I drive it, I also feel the hesitation and delay when wanting to get going ... have to wait for it. Sorry but IMO = STUPID

~ don't care either, it starts and goes forward, she'll be alright.

peddle =/= pedal

waist != waste

My two sense ;)

Last edited:
My 2006 does this- I think it is just the normal DBW delay.

i notice that i can get the throttle to respond significantly faster after a battery disconnect <you only want to test it after following the drive cycle procedures correctly or you WILL cause tranny shifting issues and likely have to disconnect the battery again to clear them.. you may even wreck mechanical tranny parts in the process>... however the problem with doing this is that the car is constantly learning and forgetting.. so if you dont regularly gun the accelerator hard it will eventually adapt to that type of operation being not normal and literally forget/cause the accelerator delay.

i would imagine that a tuner overrides the 'learn/forget' and lets you just set it and forget it, but i dont have one and havent ever messed with one.

if you dont want to fck with that, stumpy is right abt the MAF/air filter. throw in fuel additives and fuel filter too. collectively they are not going to make throttle resposne perfect, but it will show some noticeable improvements.

oh lord... now we are all gonna hear how unhooking the battery and completing the drive cycles will fix this problem too...

man, I should have just done that back when my valve covers were leaking oil!

oh lord... now we are all gonna hear how unhooking the battery and completing the drive cycles will fix this problem too...

man, I should have just done that back when my valve covers were leaking oil!

no, no no. but i heard joedrt and 'grumpy in sandiego' recommend throwing two tranny solenoids at it.. one for each valve cover...

I understand from other posts on this board that a Torrie tune will eliminate the throttle response delay. This is what happens when you add a middle man, aka the PCM, between the foot and the throttle.

Nonetheless, I'd start with a MAF/throttle body cleaning, as these parts being dirty can cause sluggish response, and this would be a cheaper and easier fix. Use only a MAF cleaner and don't let the cleaner run inside the TPS as it can damage the TPS innards.

I understand from other posts on this board that a Torrie tune will eliminate the throttle response delay. This is what happens when you add a middle man, aka the PCM, between the foot and the throttle.

Nonetheless, I'd start with a MAF/throttle body cleaning, as these parts being dirty can cause sluggish response, and this would be a cheaper and easier fix. Use only a MAF cleaner and don't let the cleaner run inside the TPS as it can damage the TPS innards.

yea i wouldnt be shocked if a tune would just constantly override the indecisive pcm and keep it from 'adapting/learning' new shift strategies and driving habits. imo, the tuner would be worth buying and learning to use <in lieu of paying the torrie guy or equivalent> if someone had a gen2 v8 with low miles and they planned on keeping it until the wheels fell off... i would imagine it would be a PITA to have the delay on a decently powered motor like that.. its not a huge deal on the v6... though i used to get morons in entry level cts's and acuras wanting to race when my car looked a bit nicer... which i always found quite comical. usually it would still win even with its crappy throttle <which only seemed to be super crappy when i went from 35mph+ coasting to putting the accelerator on the floor>

on a side note, there is a step in the drive cycle to set the sensor that controls the throttle... in a nutshell you coast and then punch it up to like 60mph like 3-5x. pretty sure its near the end of the drive cycle. problem is, you probably dont do it enough <3 or 5x> in a single drive cycle to ever set it correctly <especially when the pcm is in a learn phase>... even if you initially set it in the initial learn phase, the pcm will eventually forget how to do it bc you dont do it enough in the course of subsequent drive cycles..

Hey, since I KNOW your post has something to do with drive cycles, without even reading the post, have you thought about putting your battery on a drag racer disconnect? If you did you could disconnect your battery every time you park the car and your car will NEVER have a problem EVER AGAIN because you'll be doing a driveline reset every time you drive the car! Am I a genius or what?

Hey, since I KNOW your post has something to do with drive cycles, without even reading the post, have you thought about putting your battery on a drag racer disconnect? If you did you could disconnect your battery every time you park the car and your car will NEVER have a problem EVER AGAIN because you'll be doing a driveline reset every time you drive the car! Am I a genius or what?

no. you are a part thrower... quit tellin everyone they have a bad pcm when you didnt even open your own pcm to verify it was bad... let alone verify that anything was even replaced/fixed... if the pcm was 'fried by a coil' you would have a fault. im just gonna go out on a limb and say that, like other modern electronics, the pcm is adequately shielded. sounds like one of you dummies read tsb about 'interference' from a coil causing an intermittent pcm issue and just decide to pump that up and say the pcm is dead dead dead... when really the only fix it needed was to be reset via power disconnect.

July 29th, 2015, 01:41 AM

jrand

Senior LVC Member

This message is hidden because jrand is on your ignore list.

View Post.

Remove user from ignore list

I wonder what he said?

No I don't.

I wonder what he said?

No I don't.

you know damn well what he said... something along the lines of first changing you screen name to something like TelNo-fixed-ls like its gonna insult you... then he is going to tell you that you wasted money because all you needed to do was reset the battery/PCM... and after completing the proper drive cycles and allowing you computer to relearn stuff correctly, all your problems would have been cured...

you know, just parroting the same verbal diarrhea he has been since day one...

Members online

No members online now.
Back