Throttle Body/RPMs question

Jrt1418

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently cleaned my throttle body (06 LS) since it had some carbon build up around the plate. Now the car's RPMs seem to hang at around 1100-1200 when I am driving. When I take my foot off the gas and don't touch the brake, the car idles down to the 1100-1200 range and does not drop unless I hit the brakes. When I hit the brakes, it goes down to the normal 800 range and stays there until I hit the gas again. It doesn't automatically climb up to the 1100 range nor does it fight to go down to the 800 range. It just doesn't kick down to the 800 range without using the brake. Now that the throttle body is clean, the throttle response is much better. It feels like it did when I first got the car and it had on 43k miles. I just don't remember if this how the car should run since it's been awhile since throttle response felt normal. Does anyone else's car stay in the 1100-1200 range until the brake is pressed?

... Does anyone else's car stay in the 1100-1200 range until the brake is pressed?

Yes, that's normal (depending on how fast you are going). It's not that the engine is doing it. It's that the transmission is turning the engine due to the moving momentum that the car has. When you tap (or press) the brake, the PCM unlocks the torque converter. With the converter unlocked, now engine combustion starts again and the PCM maintains idle speed. (Above a reasonable minimum speed, no fuel is injected into the engine while your foot is off the gas pedal, with the torque converter locked.)

Thanks Joe. It seems fine but its been so long since it ran the way it truly should, I forgot how it drove with the converter staying locked like it should. Before, it would unlock automatically after I took my foot off the gas. Thanks again for the response.

Members online

No members online now.
Back