Thoughts/advice on 2014 Fusion?

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm not trading in the LS. Just need something more reliable. LS is almost 190K, and I just noticed a few spots of oil underneath her this morning. With the brisk weather we've had lately, I can't afford to be broken down somewhere with both my kids.

I called the dealer, and they're going to drop off an Ecoboost Titanium for me to try out. He's going to check if they have an AWD version (which is my desired option), but if not, I'll still see if I like the 2.0L Ecoboost. And actually, might try to work a deal for two of them (the boss at work has been in the market for about 6 months for a replacement car too.

Anyone own one/ driven one/ read about them enough to provide any advice?

97MarkJA has one the wife drives... I will send him a text to post up on the ins and outs.

Salesman here at work had one for a rental so we took it out for a test drive on our lunch break. Rode pretty decent, power was ok. Not much torque and the paddle shifters didn't really inspire me. I really liked the interior, fit and finish was really good.

I know a couple of people that have older (a couple years and older) Fusions and really like them. I wouldn't get the base engine, I would get the highest torque rating vs. horsepower rating.

got a friend that has one, its actually very nice especially for a basic transportation vehicle (as long as you have on to the LS to have something that can really handle well). good size, trimmed out nicely, I actually think most of the materials is as good or better than my LS (of course most new cars these days are too)

also, the wife has been thinking about trading in the escape so we've driven a few.

I would stay away from the 1.6L ecoboost, while it does get great gas millage, it pretty much feels like a normal 4cyl with too little torque and power for a car that size, and was too scared to pull out into traffic. the 2.0 ecoboost felt real nice, good torque, come on pretty early, without too much lag, very nice on the highway when getting on it to pass (not quite like the 3.9 lol) actually felt better than my sisters 1st gen fusion with the 3.0. good smooth ride too, above average handeling for a wrong wheel drive.

also, definitely get SYNC.

BTW, my friends is Tuxedo black, and whats not Tuxedo black has been plastic dipped, looks killer. I really like the look fords going for, I just wish they would go with the right drive train choices (although they are getting close)

If you are looking at some sort of FWD based commuter, have you thought about getting an off-lease instead of a new one? Why take the huge hit when you can pay about half for a car that will only have a few thousand miles on it and will still have most of the warranty. I'd have a hard enough time signing on a used front wheel drive anything, much less a new one. You can put the money saved back towards that little sports car you plan to get when the kids move out. It's up to you what you do, but this is an alternative to a new one.

My wife has the new one, not the Eco boost but a great car none the less.
I the little Eco boost and wasn't impressed. They have had quite a few recalls on it and ford has been Johnny on the spot with every one of them.
If you desire a remote start it will need to be a factory unit and programmed into the convenience features of the car through a IDS programmer.
I drove the MKZ also, same for same really. It has some upgraded features but not worth the coin IMHO.
She had a 2012 that was in a 70mph front end collision, the car had $23k worth if damage and was totaled. From the doors back you would have never known it was touched, it protected her and my son well. I had no problem buying the new one after that.

She had a 2012 that was in a 70mph front end collision, the car had $23k worth if damage and was totaled. From the doors back you would have never known it was touched, it protected her and my son well. I had no problem buying the new one after that.

This is the first thing I've heard about them that would recommend them to me. Not for me to drive of course, but for my wife or daughter. Women are already used to operating appliances, what's another one?

Seriously, surviving a 70MPH crash is an excellent selling point. I wouldn't have a problem buying one now either, for my daughter (there's no such thing as a selling point that would make me want to buy a FWD for myself). This is the same reason I bought my daughter a second Malibu; she dropped one off a cliff and came out of it with an air bag burn and a bruised knee. The car itself looked like someone wadded the nose into a ball, although I wouldn't buy a third Malibu since the car itself is highly unreliable.

Members online

No members online now.
Back