Those @#$$*#@ shopping carts

stateproperty3423

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I got the first ding on my car on friday. I was at the supermarket, I intentionally park far away from every other car but when I go to my car I see a shopping cart up against my passenger door...my heart dropped. It was night time so I didn't see anything, I thought "hmm maybe I got off lucky" but the next morning I saw that there was a ding...I was so pissed off. I have to admit it is VERY small. I told a bunch off people that there is a ding on my passenger door but I didn't tell them where to see if they would notice it...only two people found it. And a couple of people laughed when I told them I was getting it fixed...But I dont care that car is my pride and joy I am getting it fixed....Has anyone had to get a ding repaired and know how much it costs? I think I am going to my lincoln dealer to get it fixed so they use the EXACT factory paint that is on the rest of my car...I am expecting a $200-300 bill. :slam

man, I know how you feel, I have someone who intentionally put a ding the size of a quarter on my trunk lid, people tell me they cant see it unless I point it out, but it ticks ME off knowing its there, im going to cover it up with a spoiler. If the ding is not that big, and has no creases, then you sould be able to pop it out yourself with something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4554773868&category=35625 i know it looks cheap, but it worked for my friends accord, the best of all yet it only cost him like 20 bucks, as for me, im out of the question since my "ding" is really a small dent with four dings in it, is like if someone stabbed my trunk with a fork and creased it up, so it wont work for me.

man i was leaving toys r us with my kids when out of the blue this killer shopping cart was making a b line for my ruby. I damn near ran down innocent people tryn to avoid it. It just missed me. I feel your pain. what you should do is buy an old full size bronco and go back after hours and run down every shopping cart they got!!!!!

umm when fixing a ding, it's not just the ding u have to worry about,u have to give a whole lotta space surrounding the dingged area.. for the bondo if thats what ur gonna use...and to blend the paint so if it's a less of a penny size ding,you need atleast 15" around it..yes that much space at least like i said when blending...some body shops can cost you umm a couple of hunderd $ to do the job....my baby 98 lsc is getting some done as we speak 1 here and 1 there kinda thing,and a few chips..thanks to thos damn pebbles kickin up ,and some that drop off thos damn county trucks....so im getting the whole car re-done....close to factory shape...im really counting on my guy to get her to prestine shape like nothing ever happend!
also be carefull on picking ur body guy...some are sloppy,and whind up using crap paint....i recommend "house of kolors"if ur gonna do a paint job on ur ride we use them on doing paint&graphics on boats(we build boats ect...)...anyways check them out on the web they have every color imaginable under the sun,candies,metallics,flats,what ever...
good luck on ur's! ;) :Beer

I would take it in and get a paintless dent repair guy to do it for you. It will cost you less than $100 and it will be better than getting body work done on it. They are the same guys that do the hail dent removal..........just a suggestion.

"Pops-A-Dent" and "The Ding King" are both :bsflag: If there is a ding or dent, it means the metal is stretched. You will end up chasing a dent all over the body panel, or it will be less noticable because it is a bulge instead of a dent...

Black87LSC said:
"Pops-A-Dent" and "The Ding King" are both :bsflag: If there is a ding or dent, it means the metal is stretched. You will end up chasing a dent all over the body panel, or it will be less noticable because it is a bulge instead of a dent...
Are you referring to a professional dent removal contractor, or the kind you buy on TV? If you get it done by a pro, it isn't BS. The way the professionals do it is to "massage" the dent out by using varying tools of different size to massage the dent out from the back side. Seen it done and it looks like there was never a dent there. Dont bother with paint.........you'll be happier finding a company to take the dent out.

Do whatever you want, but you can't "massage" stretched metal. Nobody is going to magically shrink it back to normal without doing some paint work. Not arguing with you, just my $.02..... Carry on

Black87LSC said:
Do whatever you want, but you can't "massage" stretched metal. Nobody is going to magically shrink it back to normal without doing some paint work. Not arguing with you, just my $.02..... Carry on
You are 100% wrong. Have you honestly never heard of paintless dent repair? My vehicle had dents on it and I got them taken out without a drop of paint. Its really quite simple. Here are the tools that they use: http://mmtraining.com/tools.htm

Here is how they do it: http://mmtraining.com/training.htm

I guess i'm just lying to this kid with the dent. Before you start saying it can't be done, why don't you do a little investigation on the topic. It isn't that the metal has been stretched.........that would indicate the metal has become less thick since the same surface area has been stretched. In fact, the metal has been mishaped and can be repaired without paint. Just think about it............

The grocery store I go to has one cart corral and it will barely hold 10 carts. Plus it is all the way at the head of the parking lot and you would not know it was there unless you walked over becasue is cut in the the grassy median and has not metal post.

I parked at the back of the lot and had the same thing happen seems fols are too freaking lazy to carry the carts back. One went wind surfing on the lot and banged my door. I would fix it but I know the day I do someone else would screw it up.

I had a Nissan 240SX that I had the passenger door repaired 3 times in one month. The auto body shop comp'd the last repair becasue of the dark comedy of it all. So after that I stopped fighting the system.

Call up your local dealerships and ask them who does the paintless dent repairs. They should be able to guide you. Many of them will have a guy come to their area once a week and fix dents. You really, really need to investigate this repair. A skilled tech will amaze you as to what he can do. I would be willing to bet on a small dent like you have that there is no way you will ever know it was there.

Stretched metal CAN be shrunk back into place! Good metal men know just how to apply a little heat and water (usually a wet rag) to shrink it back. I've seen some amazing results before.

stateproperty3423 said:
I do not think there is a place that does paintless dent repair near where I live.

Call your local FLM dealer they should have a dentless repair shops name and number that they use. Thats what I did with my Jaguar when some popped in a dent in my 67 E-type. Took 20 mins to fix. Also sometimes you can find a dent repair shop close to your area working at a body shop or dealership and you could met them there too. Honestly try this route first. Good luck!

-Scott-

Thanks a bunch guys I went to my l/m dealer and they refered me to a paintless dent repair company that does house calls. The guy said about $100...sounds good to me :Beer

stateproperty3423 said:
Thanks a bunch guys I went to my l/m dealer and they refered me to a paintless dent repair company that does house calls. The guy said about $100...sounds good to me :Beer

Damn thats pricey see if u can met him at a dealership as he is working that should save quite a bit of money seeing he is there making hand over fist at the dealership. Should only be about 40-60 bucks.

-Scott-

sniff-sniff

Somebody hit my baby Christine the same way....to dayum lazy to return a cart to it's proper place.......now I too have a dimple on my passenger side door.

DLS8K said:
Have you honestly never heard of paintless dent repair?
I guess i'm just lying to this kid with the dent. Before you start saying it can't be done, why don't you do a little investigation on the topic. It isn't that the metal has been stretched.........that would indicate the metal has become less thick since the same surface area has been stretched. In fact, the metal has been mishaped and can be repaired without paint. Just think about it............

I HAVE heard of paintless dent repair... And it's :bsflag: :bsflag: :bsflag: ... Putting words in my mouth??? I've been doing body work with my dad since I could walk and hold tools, and if you have a dent obviously the metal is stretched. I'm just trying to help the kid do it right the first time. If it is a really small ding, you might get away with "The Ding King." If this worked for all dents and dings, do you honestly think the body shops would still be around??? Just think about it............ I will not be reading this thread again as I was just trying to help, and I have put my $.02 in so keep your comments.

what about hail damage, u dont see them replacing every that has been damaged, that would cost insurance companies a fortune.
both parties are right here some people go with paintless dent removal and other prefer going the expensive way and having the dent popped out and repainted, but agian not necessary in every case. all depends on the dent and the persons fund situation. me .02 cents

Black...I'm sorry, but you are wrong about this repair being BS. It does work. I have personally seen it...even on a black car and you CANNOT tell it was dented. I sure don't claim to know all the ins and outs of how it works...but it definitely works on small parking lot dings. And that is all it's designed for.

If you think that body shops are in business to fix parking lot dings, you are mistaken. That is not the business they cater to or want. I know of two body shops who use this particular repair if it's warranted!! They want the big jobs. That's where they make their money.

Members online

Back