those of you with SST - how do you use it?

illyc

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
do you use it most of the time or just put it in D5 and leave it?

reason i ask - i noticed that the car will stay in 3rd at a stop while in SST. we all know that 2-3 shift is abrupt, so might there be any benefit to staying in SST, only going from 3-5 instead of letting the car in D5 cycle through all the gears?

not sure if i'm making sense here.

I'd only use it to keep the revs up in lower gears if I wanted. Other than that it's pretty useless.

I use it to shift down when approaching a corner so I can smoothly accelerate out without having to press on the gas to down shift in auto. Also to pass on the freeway, I downshift, change lanes, speed up, return to D5

I use it when mountain driving, when I want to hold a gear, going downhill, sometimes in slow-n-go driving..... situations like that. Otherwise, it's D5.

I find it to be awkward to operate, so I just throw it in drive and forget about it. No idea if this is the case with the LS, but I find that most computer controlled transmissions will just shift how they want regardless of what you try to tell it to do.

The only computer controlled transmission I've ever driven that doesn't do what it wants and stays where I put it is the one in my truck, and that's only because I modified the program with EFI Live so the computer does what I want it to do. Of course, because the trans DOES do exactly what I want when I want, I really have no need to downshift the truck to begin with. And yes, having a transmission that reads YOUR mind is as amazing as it sounds.

just use it to keep the rpms up and keep it from upshifting unnecessarily making me have to down shift when I don't want to...

I only use it going down steep hills, when I would otherwise have to ride the brakes.

I only use it going down steep hills, when I would otherwise have to ride the brakes.

Used it exclusively coming down Pike's Peak some years ago. I only had to use the brakes to stop at the ranger station where they check your brake temps.

I use mine with the traction off to piss people off with tire squeal launches. Lots of honda lovers here where I live and I can't stand them. I know that will cause damage, but if I brake it Ill just fix it.

I use mine with the traction off to piss people off with tire squeal launches. Lots of honda lovers here where I live and I can't stand them. I know that will cause damage, but if I brake it Ill just fix it.

If you brake it you won't be going anywhere!!

LOL, I see it as well, meant to say break, Sometimes I forget how much the internet makes everyone a grammar nazi.

It's not really that. It really does slow me down and break my train of thought (like applying the brakes) for a moment when I read the wrong word.

I use it, when passing, or getting on the E-way, (some may say it doesn't work that way), but I also use it to train my shift points.

I notice a difference.

reason i ask - i noticed that the car will stay in 3rd at a stop while in SST. we all know that 2-3 shift is abrupt, so might there be any benefit to staying in SST, only going from 3-5 instead of letting the car in D5 cycle through all the gears?

anybody?

If the car is staying in third at a stop there's something wrong, I would think, mines drop to 2 wit no action of my own, when. I take off I let speed get up to 35 mph then I shift into third and hold till I get to 45 then shift to fourth once I reach 60 I slide the shifter back in to auto and let the computer do the rest.

do you use it most of the time or just put it in D5 and leave it?

not sure if i'm making sense here.

I just about always put it in D5 and leave it there.
I wouldn't say that my 2-3 shift is abrupt. Perhaps you have a problem with your transmission?

I see no advantage in putting extra stress on the engine and torque converter (starting in 3rd).

If the car is staying in third at a stop there's something wrong, I would think, mines drop to 2 wit no action of my own, when. I take off I let speed get up to 35 mph then I shift into third and hold till I get to 45 then shift to fourth once I reach 60 I slide the shifter back in to auto and let the computer do the rest.

in SST, i can gear down to 3rd and come to a complete stop and it will stay in 3rd

I just about always put it in D5 and leave it there.
I wouldn't say that my 2-3 shift is abrupt. Perhaps you have a problem with your transmission?

I see no advantage in putting extra stress on the engine and torque converter (starting in 3rd).

ok so starting in 3rd is actually bad for the engine/TC? that's what i wanted to know.

Ok so you downshift and hold third, I never do that seems the torque would eventually destroy these transmission,

yea so i'll stop doing that haha - what about holding in 2nd? is that safe?

Members online

Back