This Thread for Pioneer AVIC-D3 Installs.

That's the way it looks without the touchscreen in front of it.

the box you'll need to go with the avic is about 100 bucks.... they are for any pioneer, so if you dont like the chance of selling it is fairly decent!

For any of you interested, as you know XM Radio and Sirius Radio just completed a merger not too long ago:

XM Radio Merger Information
http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=1648

Sirius Radio Merger Information:
http://investor.sirius.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=324858

One of the good things that will be coming out of this merger, is the availability of "A La Carte" Packages:
http://investor.sirius.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=255847

A La Carte -- 50 Channels ($6.99) -- Currently the only standard
package offered by either company is $12.95 a month. Under this new
option, for only $6.99 per month -- a savings of 46 percent --
consumers will be able to choose either 50 SIRIUS channels from
approximately 100 SIRIUS channels or 50 XM channels from approximately 100 XM channels. Additional channels can be added for 25 cents each, with premium packages priced at additional cost. However, no one choosing this option will pay more than $12.95 a month.

Unfortunately, to be able to take advantage of this, you will be required to purchase a new tuner, which should be out in the Fall 2008:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/08/07/sirius.xm.on.new.radios/

So, basically what I am saying, is that prices should go down on monthly service (as cheap as $6.99/month), and you will be given the opportunity to chose your own channels that you like. Unfortunately, this will require a new tuner for your radio.

this wa a ROYAL pain but its finished. I wouldnt recommend this job w/o a dremel and cutting disk. The NAV bezel had to be cut a lot just to get the AVIC-D3 to come through properly. Ill get better pics tomorrow when there is more light out.

DSCN0989.jpg

DSCN0991.jpg

DSCN0992.jpg

DSCN0993.jpg

did u had to take out the 6 CD changer? or is it behind the GPS system?

can the Pioneer GPS be on the front of the 6 CD changer with the double din? like how they installed it at the Lincoln factory?

What is the difference (beside the size of the screen) of the Pioneer AVIC D3 and the Pioneer AVIC Z3?

did u had to take out the 6 CD changer? or is it behind the GPS system?
The factory head unit (which includes the 6-disc in-dash changer) was removed, and the Pioneer unit was installed in its place. The Avic is a complete head unit.

You guys have to come up to this decade. Seriously...CD's are going the way of the cassette. I'm 42...and made the move to a portable MP3 player to house all of my music...6 years ago. Went to an Ipod 2 years ago ONLY because of the avic. Having 10 songs or so per CD vs literally 50,000 songs AND some movies, music videos, etc..on an IPOD the size of 1/2 of a CD. You make the call. CD changers are 10 years ago.

You guys have to come up to this decade. Seriously...CD's are going the way of the cassette. I'm 42...and made the move to a portable MP3 player to house all of my music...6 years ago. Went to an Ipod 2 years ago ONLY because of the avic. Having 10 songs or so per CD vs literally 50,000 songs AND some movies, music videos, etc..on an IPOD the size of 1/2 of a CD. You make the call. CD changers are 10 years ago.

^+1

Here's mine, thanks to 02V8Sport:

IMG_0550Large.jpg

Install was a SNAP since he had removed it from his car all wired up to the wiring harness and gave me the bezel. My sub now POUNDS compared to how it was set-up with the line out converter. Only bad thing is you lose the two speakers on either side of the console, but I'm looking into upgrading all of the speakers and adding another amp, so they'll be functional again shortly. :)

Still need to figure out where the one wire for the steering wheel control goes to, but I have a wireless remote so it's not really an issue.

my d3 was 1200 installed with the sat radio and blue tooth i didnt do the steering controlls becuse im going to put in the paddle shifters. they use the wire spinny thing for the shifters also i didnt set my d3 flush into the dash my whole front window is tintedso being set back in the dash u can see everything without glare .also my factory radio was broken so i took the old radio took the face off dremeled it to fit into infront of the screen so if im somewhere i dont trust people i slide the face over the d3 so it looks like the factory unit!!!!

What a great thread!
I am picking up my new 02 LS this weekend and I was going to install the Alpine IVA-W205, instead of the Pioneer.
One of the techs at Crutchfield told me that they are the same size and that I shouldn't have any problems, as long as I can get the nav bezel.

My question is;
Has anyone installed the Alpine IVA-W205 in their LS?

I have an 05 ultimate with the THX navi. Will all my speakers work properly like they do now if I upgrade to this? Is there a way to hook up all the speakers to the pioneer and has anyone done it?

What a great thread!
I am picking up my new 02 LS this weekend and I was going to install the Alpine IVA-W205, instead of the Pioneer.
One of the techs at Crutchfield told me that they are the same size and that I shouldn't have any problems, as long as I can get the nav bezel.

My question is;
Has anyone installed the Alpine IVA-W205 in their LS?

Cant answer your Alpine query, but the bezel you need is
Scosche LN1329B

A www.froogle.com search on the above will get you the best price.

I have an 05 ultimate with the THX navi. Will all my speakers work properly like they do now if I upgrade to this? Is there a way to hook up all the speakers to the pioneer and has anyone done it?

I haven't put a Pioneer in in-place of a factory Nav unit, but I can tell you that the Pioneer has all the preamp outputs that you need to go to the factory amps. You will need to put a 2K ohm or so resistor in series with the connections from that amp power turn-on output of the Pioneer and each factory amp power control input. (This prevents a loud "thump" sound at turn on.)

I've also seen comments on here claiming that the center channel speakers (on the non-nav setups) can't be run from the Pioneer. This is not true, the Pioneer has pre-amp outputs. You just have to sum them together for the center channel.

I've gone almost full circle.

Recently upgraded to the Avic F900BT.

Initial notes: Easy upgrade from the D3, as the wiring harnesses are the exact same. For the video in motion bypass, you have to move the mute wire in the harness to another location (simple), and the GPS antenna connector ends need to be swapped from the D3 over to the F900's. (again..simple..requires the use of a small pick or jewel flathead screwdriver and takes all of 5 mins.)

Cons so far: -Unlike the D3, you cannot customize the background..just the initial splash screen. So your background is always a drab black. ugh.
-Unlike the D3, you cannot control the phone/bluetooth volume from the volume knob, you have to use an touch onscreen + and - that appear when a phone call is active. This onscreen + and - menu block out some of the lower portion of the Nav screen while a call is active. Ugh.

I'll note more pros and cons as I go along. So far, I'm content with the upgrade, but not OVERWHELMINGLY excited about it. If it werent for the voice recognition (works very well, and useful once you get used to it) and the much improved Ipod interface that actually allows you to scroll through the music in a reasonable fashion (unlike the D3), I'd probably hesitate on going from the D3 with its larger screen..and more stable platform.

Stay tuned

I've gone almost full circle.

Recently upgraded to the Avic F900BT.

Initial notes: Easy upgrade from the D3, as the wiring harnesses are the exact same. For the video in motion bypass, you have to move the mute wire in the harness to another location (simple), and the GPS antenna connector ends need to be swapped from the D3 over to the F900's. (again..simple..requires the use of a small pick or jewel flathead screwdriver and takes all of 5 mins.)

Cons so far: -Unlike the D3, you cannot customize the background..just the initial splash screen. So your background is always a drab black. ugh.
-Unlike the D3, you cannot control the phone/bluetooth volume from the volume knob, you have to use an touch onscreen + and - that appear when a phone call is active. This onscreen + and - menu block out some of the lower portion of the Nav screen while a call is active. Ugh.

I'll note more pros and cons as I go along. So far, I'm content with the upgrade, but not OVERWHELMINGLY excited about it. If it werent for the voice recognition (works very well, and useful once you get used to it) and the much improved Ipod interface that actually allows you to scroll through the music in a reasonable fashion (unlike the D3), I'd probably hesitate on going from the D3 with its larger screen..and more stable platform.

Stay tuned

The backsplash can be changed I think according to a source I read. I have the F90. Trust me you'll be surprised of what can be changed on this unit but you dam sure must know what you doing when you do it.

Another con-On the D3, the POI's are branded. On the F series, they are not. Only an "R" appears for restaurants. WTF

3 days so far. There are definitely some pros to the unit..dont get me wrong. I'll give a more balanced report as the days go on. One significant pro? The F series uses Windows software..which the guys over at avic411.com have already hacked to do..just about any and everything including adding redlight and speed camera icons and warnings to the maps

3 days so far. There are definitely some pros to the unit..dont get me wrong. I'll give a more balanced report as the days go on. One significant pro? The F series uses Windows software..which the guys over at avic411.com have already hacked to do..just about any and everything including adding redlight and speed camera icons and warnings to the maps

Yea I'm a member of that site too, and they have done a lot of mods to the unit, but you have to know what you are doing. At least make a backup copy of the file structure before making any attempts of modding. I'm just waiting on the PAC to come out with the new steering wheel module.

I honestly regret selling this system to a friend of mine. I got rid of it when i first bought the LS since i didnt want to custom do anything to make it fit, they have everything for it now ...

Ill buy it soon again ..

Members online

No members online now.
Back