This piece... brake booster plug?

PaulPool89

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
20140419_114134.jpg

http://postimage.org/

This broke. It connects the brake booster vacuum line to the brake booster. My brakes aren't working right.

What is it and who has it? What years are compatible for parts?

And how to remove it properly?

It's a "1 way check valve" any parts store carries them

Remove the clamp , pull it out.. Probably takes longer to tie your shoes

Hmm i asked at advanced auto but I have a feeling the fella wasn't too knowledgeable. I'll go look again.
Any I tried pulling from similar year continental at the junkyard were too small and too short. This has a rubber washer-like ring that gets pressed against the brake booster. I try to pull it out but it seems to have a plastic ridge that's bigger than the hole in the brake booster, but I could be wrong it's hard for me to see it.

For now I tied a bunch of string around it to put pressure on the rubber pressing it against the brake booster. I noticed my fuel economy has been going up too.

It doesn't get pressed into the Firewall.. It goes into the Vacuum Booster

That Vacuum hose goes from the Booster, to the Plenum

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, I was just using "firewall" to describe the location for lack of a better term. I'll go back and edit my posts so anyone looking at this thread doesn't get incorrect info.

Alright I'll get that part, thanks Roadboss.

The one from advanced is a smaller piece....
20140428_171128.jpg

it was brittle and snapped when i was takingnit off. The rubber boot was already broken. I cant drive to work without this. Does anyone have this piece? It has a rubber boot around it, that's why the neck is longer

I thought that Dorman 80190 came with two grommets and one of them is what we need. I think I replaced this in one of my Cougars and it was the same as the Mark VIII.

It came with no grommets. I'm going to check if Napa may have one when my wife gets home. I think this may be specific to the mark viii 97 and 98 because even the 93 mark I saw at the junkyard and the continentals had that smaller part.

the parts store did not have a brake check valve with a long enough neck. Tho they did the grommets, they were too big or too small.

Looks like I'm getting a ride to work tomorrow from someone

The one you got should work fine

Hmmm I think it could work too, even tho the neck that holds the grommet is a lot shorter, it seemed to hold it in place.
Unfortunately the local parts store did not have the correct size grommet. I sent my little bro on and adventure today while I am at work to a bigger junkyard (Friendship junk yard in Tabernacle) to see if he can find it

Bump

Found the correct grommet at the junkyard, and it works well enough with the 80190 check valve. But the neck is too short, i still hear air whistling. I'm concerned it may come out while I'm driving.

If anyone has a spare one or knows how to find one online let me know. So far no luck on ebay or at the dealer. There was one at the junkyard but it also broke.

all you need is an inline one-way check valve somewhere in that line, find a fitting that goes into the brake booster and attach your hose to that fitting if the valve doesn't fit into the booster itself. use vacuum line to attach the valve to the booster and plenum as needed and it should work just fine.

I have a valve that I pulled from a junkyard car. Let me know if you're still looking for one.

never replaced one of these myself, and sorry if i missed it above, what is the malfunction when this needs replacing?

just curious for future diagnosis

thanks

The malfunction was that it broke and the replacement pieces were different. (see picture)

Wawful, I understand what you're saying. That makes sense. But the piece that goes into the grommet has to have those little ridges to keep it from popping out, and I don't remember seeing anything like that at the parts store that was also long enough. I'll go take a look again.

todd, PM sent.

I want to thank todd for getting the part over to me so quickly.

For those of you reading this thread in the future, there are two solutions

One, is the get the original check value. The longer section is simply extending the hose away from a line that sits above it. HOWEVER the part with ridges that goes INTO the rubber grommet is ALSO longer than the replacement you get at the part store, and you will still have a vacuum issue.

Solution two is like wawful said, insert something else into the power brake booster, and put the replacement brake check value in a different spot in the line.

Thank you for everyone who helped me

It fit together like any other car with a check valve. The only difference was this one was a little longer. *googles pictures*

This:
MCP-1104-MAGNUSON-PIX-32.jpg

Fits into the grommet:

c9az2b176b.jpg

^ ^ ^ ^ And the end result is the picture from my first post. ^ ^ ^ ^

The rubber grommet need to be squished a little to get it secured, as the way it gets secured is the two outer rubber ridges are bigger than the hole size. It holds it kind of like a sandwich. When i put it, I was able to give it a quarter turn back and forth with my finger to make sure it was sitting correctly.

Members online

Back