This might sound stupid

bigrdubs

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am a new member here. I just bought an 01 v8 and I have what might sound like a stupid question to most of you guys. Basically I want to know that my car is running perfectly. I don't notice anything wrong except that the gas milage sucks! I drive about 20miles highway everyday and only a couple city. My mpg is reading 16.2 right now. I reset it last month when I bought it. If I go to autozone to have them pull any codes that the computer has detected will they give me codes that have been there since the car was brand new? For instance if it had a bad coil 3 years ago and was fixed, will it still give me that code? or how does that work? I dont want to replace something that has already been replaced. I hope you guys understand what i'm saying.

If they replaced a coil that was bad previously, they generally clear any codes and run the car to make sure no codes re-appear. If you don't have any codes now, then there's nothing wrong.

Driving only 20 miles on the highway isn't going to do much to increase your MPG. Stock these things were rated at 18 city / 24 highway. Before I took a 1600 mile round trip a few months ago, my display read 14.x MPG and that was with me babying the thing. It's gone from 25.5 to 18.4 in the few hundred miles since that trip, which is mostly city driving for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Damn, does that mean I drive like an old man? I am pulling 19-20+ daily and was hitting 23mpg on a 6 hour drive.

Mileage varies a lot depending on traffic, road conditions, speed, distance travelled, weather, weight in car, winter gas, etc.

16 mpg is a little on the low side for a straight freeway commute assuming no traffic.

My 04 LSV8 averages about 17-18mpg on my daily 60 mile round trip commute with about 40 miles no traffic and travelling 70+mph. And then there is about 10 miles of stop and go at less than 30mph and then there is about 10 miles of street and a few hills. If I do a long freeway trip to Las Vegas at 70 -80mph I will average about 25mpg. Worst I have seen is about 14mpg on short street trips.

30 miles one way is just enough time to get the engine and emissions systems up to proper operating temperature. if you are driving 20 miles or less, your mileage will be worse due to the engine never really getting up to proper temperatures, even though you think the temp guage says it is.

I noticed this when I was commuting about 10 miles each way a few years back. My mileage was worse due to the engine never warming up enough.

Codes will get reset after several start stop cycles so it is unlikely you will hav ecodes from a year or more back. The age of your car might mean some sensors are getting old and could be replaced. O2 sensors typically need to be replaced around 100K miles, maybe sooner. These will affect mileage. Also the EGR and maybe it's sensors are probably ready for replacement. Also have you replaced plugs? Fuel filter might be ready to go. Air filter, etc.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

I drive less than 2 miles to work, currently reading 13.6, as alot of the fuel has been burnt warming it up!

ANYTHING other than pure freeway driving gets me 17mpg. occasionally, i will get about 19, for a half freeway, half city, but usually, its right back down to 17, with any city driving.
Pure freeway...about 24mpg.
This is in an '04 V8

02 LS8 26mpg mixed/agressive driver. Thanks for the computer tune Torrie!

Members online

Back