This is why it's never a good idea to leave me alone in a fully equipped shop...

Frogman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I promise to nicer if you promise to be smarter.
I come up with things to do that shouldn't be done...

Earlier today, I decided to change the oil in the F450. Well, it was time for it anyways, I ran it 140 miles over my usual 4500 mark.

Anyways, oil change done, while I was looking around the engine compartment, I had a thought... Why am I allowing crank case vapors to be "recycled" into the engine via the PCV?

Then, a hair brain idea came to me. Why don't I re-route the PCV and have it dump under the truck?

So, I yanked the AFE Intake apart and pulled the turbo boot off.

I went to the bolt bins and found a properly fitting bolt. Then I pulled a nut out of the nut bin (that sounds kinda dirty). Then, got some appropriate washers and and O ring to seal the rubber boot the PCV tube went into.

Bolt and O ring
IMG_20110409_143357.png

Bolt, O ring and washer
IMG_20110409_143409.png

Then, I ran everything through, nut on the outside. This way, I can visually see if the nut is getting loose without having to feel it. If the bolt falls through... goodbye turbos, since it's about 3 inches away from the compressor wheel.
The nice thing is, the bolt head is pretty much flush on the inside of the intake, so it won't affect air flow too much.

Since it's on the atmospheric side, there really won't be too much stress on this set-up anyways.
IMG_20110409_143447.png

Then, I "engimeneered" some fittings, and went to town. All I had in the plumbing bin were galvanized, NPT fittings. But it all came together.
IMG_20110409_160148.png

Then, I ran the 1/2 inch rubber hose away from the exhaust manifold to the underside of the truck. I zip tied it to have it point downward, and I was all set. Once I get a spin-on tranny filter assembly made up, I'll have to re-work that PCV line, since the factory filter lines and filter won't be there anymore.

IMG_20110409_160323.png

I know, it doesn't look pretty, but frankly... I'm more of a function over form kinda guy. We'll see if the engine will appreciate not having to breathe oil. Next, complete EGR delete with waste gate and maybe even a BOV on the intercooler.

Yes, the undercarriage is muddy. What's new?

I started with a set of clean coveralls... Now, they are... well, pretty much black.

I did the same thing to my 02 and my 06 and ran them out the back of the truck. You would be shocked as to how many fumes will come out....also stinks! Egr delete is a must frog.

What is it that you think will be achieved from this? Just curious.......

What Omen said. You don't get oil vapors in the intake and intercooler.

Loading the intake and intercooler with oil:rolleyes:

Yup

I did the same thing to my 02 and my 06 and ran them out the back of the truck. You would be shocked as to how many fumes will come out....also stinks! Egr delete is a must frog.

I know, I just keep putting it off. I have a FORD master tech that will do EGR delete, Head studs (ARP), head gaskets and new bigger fuel rails for 1500 bucks I bring my own parts. This is of course, a cab off procedure.

1500 is a great price for all that frog. I had ford do arp studs,egr cooler delete when they were putting my new engine in (under warranty:D)

And how would this modification affect your annual smog check if you are in a state that requires them ?
Bob.

Would an oil catch can provide the same benefit without dumping oil?

Probably, if it was actual oil. But it's more of an oil vapor, really.

That, and frankly... I don't really give a schit. What I contribute to environment "pollution" with this mod, would take me a few dozen millennia to reach BP's numbers.

When the leaf lickers start paying for the costs of flushing intercoolers and cleaning turbos, I'll gladly revert it to stock.

1500 is a great price for all that frog. I had ford do arp studs,egr cooler delete when they were putting my new engine in (under warranty:D)

Aye. One of the best times to do it. I should have done it when the cab was off for the high pressure fuel pump that flying J fuel wiped out.

Alas... I was suffering from a severe case of rectal cranial immersion syndrome.

And how would this modification affect your annual smog check if you are in a state that requires them ?
Bob.

Have you heard of the term "greasing the wheel"?

Besides, even if we had those nazi emission things here, it would take me a whole 10 minutes to revert it back to stock, do the emission then revert it back to "modded" again.

Besides, this is an off road truck, it doesn't see pavement... didn't you know?

Probably, if it was actual oil. But it's more of an oil vapor, really.

That, and frankly... I don't really give a schit. What I contribute to environment "pollution" with this mod, would take me a few dozen millennia to reach BP's numbers.

I was thinking more along the lines of the un-metered air situation that you corrected. A catch-can would leave the stock system intact as a closed loop, just keeping the oil out of the engine. Even if it is oil vapor, a decent can will have a medium to allow it to condense on instead of passing through. Or, on a cheap one, stainless steel wool works just as well to stop the vapor passage.

The PCV dumps in after the MAF. Now that you clarified it, I see why you asked. No, not concerned about it. The PCM is not taking that into account either way, since it's not a "steady" supply of vapors. Crankcase pressure/venting occurs at varying levels on engines, based on temperature, how the engine is wearing, etc.

As such, engine computers don't take that into account.

A honda accord puts out a hell of a lot more emissions than a f450 diesel will ever put out!

I know, I just keep putting it off. I have a FORD master tech that will do EGR delete, Head studs (ARP), head gaskets and new bigger fuel rails for 1500 bucks I bring my own parts. This is of course, a cab off procedure.

you having your buddy that warned you about that high idle at the gas station do it for you :D

Members online

Back