This is driving me NUTS!

2001LS8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 LS8 Sport with about 50K on the clock. About a year ago, I had a brand new set of Michelins put on it at one of the local Lincoln dealers. It was the exact same 17 inch tire that came OE with the car. Well, 10 tires later...that's correct...10 TIRES!, I still can't get rid of a slight front end vibration (or nibble) at 70 to 75 mph. I mean these guys have tried everything. There is published literature from Lincoln on the subject including revised alignment specs to try and get rid of it. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times the tires have been rotated, balanced, road force balanced, etc etc and it still is there. The car still has the factory wheels and no problem has been found with them. About the only thing they haven't tried (to my knowledge) is bolting on a complete set of tires and rims off an LS that doesn't have this problem. I suggested it...I guess they don't think it's necessary.

Anyway...I seem to remember someone on this site saying they really helped this same type of problem with the use of a wheel adapter or spacer that helped relocate the wheel to exact center. I've searched and can't find it. Does anyone know anything about this or have any other fixes?

Thanks for your help folks! Believe me....it will be heaven to get this fixed.

it could be the brake rotors....it could be the rims.... I dont know about anything else off hand....Good luck ....maybe try putting a diff set of rims on for a few miles and see....

I am experiencing the same problem. 3 trips back to the tire store and still a vibration. I have aftermarket wheels, but did not have the problem until the new tires were installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would definitely have them replace the wheels and tires from a NEW ls and test it. at least this would rule out the possibility of bent wheels. I had the same symptoms and the dealership did this for me. With the new wheels and tires there was no nibble so I know now my problem is in the wheel tire combo. I think my rims are bent slightly. The nibble doesnt bother me enough to buy all new wheels and tires but at least I know where the problem lies. And yes, there are a ton of lincoln bulletins on this topic and maybe for each person the situation or remedy is different, but how easy is it to just put the car on a lift and change the wheels to at least rule that out.

i think the rims are the problem.. not anything else.. i mean did u check out the rims?

That's great information guys. I hope it's not too late. My son showed up last night in a brand new 06 Caddy he was testing out. Damn fine car I have to admit. He must really be pissed off because to get him to leave the FOMOCO family would take a lot. But between the two of us, we have fought this problem long enough and if Lincoln is unable to fix it, then maybe it's time to look elsewhere. I have to admit...they haven't done the best of jobs with this problem. Lots of effort, but no cigar...and no follow up.

I had this problem...

I put the front tires in the back and the vibration from the wheel was gone.

i never had that problem....until i put my flat spots in my rear tires from drifting to much;)....but now i need new tires:(

Members online

No members online now.
Back