Thinking about getting a Pioneer's AVIC-D1

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I am considering is installing this in my 1998 Mark: Any thoughts?

218219118AVIC-D1_big.jpg

The Revolution Goes On — the Latest Navigation Systems from Pioneer
Pioneer's AVIC-D1 is Pioneer's newest navigation system, designed to be easy to use as well as easy on the eyes. The large 6.5-inch display panel is easy to read, the touch panel provides intuitive operation, and the layout delivers user-friendly operation by positioning the basic control keys around the screen for easy reach. The unit is designed to fit into many modern vehicles with a "factory-fit" style, melding unobtrusively into the vehicle dashboard. Of course, the AVIC-D1 provides a full media experience with AM/FM radio, CD, MP3 and WMA, and more. Additionally, the system is ready to deliver detailed traffic information for major cities in conjunction with the XM NavTraffic service and an optional XM Radio tuner. MORE

This system has 2 features im quite interested in - first is NavTraffic, which gives you live traffic detailes alon with the navigation so you can avoid traffic jams, etc...

The second feature is the VDD performance gauges and what they measure:
  • Acceleration: Measures forward or backward G-Force and provides a peak hold indicator
  • Side Acceleration: Measures Lateral G-Force, indicating maximum cornering force, and provides a peak hold indicator
  • Angular Velocity: Measures turn rate
  • Speed: Measures your speed in Miles Per Hour (MPH)
  • Direction: Provides a compass with current direction: N, S, E or W
  • Slope: Indicates the incline or decline of your vehicle
  • Voltage: Keeps tabs on your vehicle’s electrical system, in volts
  • Clock: Displays the time
  • More Info
Frogman has this installed in his Mark

attachment.jpg

BTW - I found on another forum instructions to disable the lockout
OK, we figured out the real way to bypass the lockouts on the new
Pioneer nav systems. It is real simple, and does not require any
complex switches or anything. This bypass will do two things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they
should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving

AVIC-N2: Underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this
back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of
solder between these to connect them.

AVIC-D1: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector. Put this wire into the open spot on the connector, connect it to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1.

Im considering other ideas too, but wanted to get everyones thoughts about this...

i was thinking about getting that for the continental in Febuarry when i get the cash
but i was told it would not fit in the 95 continentald do you know if this is true
if it is true
i was thinking i would get somthing like the Pineer 7500DVD
i know that would work i just realy would rather have the one that you posted any ideas gusy

I'm going to have to try that. But why do I need an entire Wiring harness? Fron what you quoted, all I should need is a short piece of wire.

Where do you live, Joey? XM NavTraffic is available only in select markets.

I think I'm going to go with something similar to this next year.

http://www.hybrid-mobile.com/products_hybrid_mediastation.php

The only thing with the above unit is that the manufacturer does not have integrated Bluetooth and WiFi. Something they will on their next version, according to an email reply they sent me.

There are other companies that have similar units, and I haven't yed discounted the idea of building my own.

Joey lives in Chicago...bang bang... (random movie quote)

That's a nice deck Joey. I'm still seriously considering getting something like that.

guess no one know why i was told it wont fit in my continental

I cant see how it wouldnt fit, It fits in a standard 2 din location. They also have another model which fits into a single din

ok cool thanks just not shure couse when i when onto bestbuy.com
and i saw that just wanted to see what it was and how mouch there computer sed it would not fit in my car

the only thing I can think of, is maybe the unit is deeper then the conti's dash will allow.

I like that unit too because it fills in the gaps. I don't like the single din in a 2 din.

I was wondering if you purchased this unit and if the bypass worked? If so, did the bypass have any side effects on the unit or its performance? Also it just enables things to be used while in motion, it doesnt enable the DVD player to read DVD movies correct?

So... After anybody installed this in their car... How did it turn out in a real world scenario?

Members online

No members online now.
Back