Think it's the clock spring..

MadProfessor

LVC Member
Reaction score
Thinking my clock spring is shot but have a few more issues that I'm not sure of.
Steering wheel is dead.....horn,cruise,radio...etc.
I attribute these to a bad clock spring.

Other symptoms that I'm not sure are caused by the clock spring.
1. Radio still played but the display blanked put when I tried to use the steering wheel controls...it came back when I turned the radio off and then back on.
2. Turn signal indicator lights on dash work 99% of the time but every once in a while the light won't flash but the signal is still working...relay is clicking and exterior lights are working.
It may miss 1 out of every 20-30 activations.

Are these symptoms of a clock spring or separate issues?

Should also mention that the wipers work and the column adjustment still work fine.
Another way to find out if you have a faulty Clock Spring is hook up a code reader and see if the reader indicates the clock spring has malfunctioned ...my 2001 Lincoln LS has a faulty clock spring but the air bag light flashes and the warning alarm dings 3x5 times and then the airbag light stays on letting me know it’s at fault...I also had a clock spring code come up on the reader when O’Riellys hooked it up to my car’s computer....not sure about your blinker situation though because mine work fine the only thing that doesn’t work on my car due to clock spring malfunctioning is the steering wheel instrumentation panel....such as radio...volume and cruise control...phone ...I put it on the long list “ To Do “ but since it doesn’t effect anything when it comes to driving I’ve been putting it off ...also my servo rusted completely off the car so I need to purchase another cruise control Servo module...again pushing this clock spring project back even more lol anyway some of the more senior members may have info about the effects of clock springs and blinker controls and if this is a separate entity or if it’s a related problem...all the best

1. Maybe, maybe not.
2. Not at all related, separate problem.

The wipers, turn signals, high beams, column adjust all have nothing whatsoever to do with the clockspring. The clockspring only carries signals that go to the steering wheel itself. The clockspring is there to get signals from the car (non-rotating) to the wheel itself (rotates).

As Joe said....
The clockspring only has to do with steering-wheel controls. When mine wore out, the only thing that wouldn't work was the stuff in the steering wheel.

KS

I figured the turn signal indicator in the dash was a separate issue but thought I would ask.

Forgot to mention that the airbag light is also on.
Looks like I'm going to be changing a clock spring......yay.

Members online

Back