They changed the v6 upper radiator hose? What do I do know?

TomPJr

LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this? I bought the V6 upper radiator hose unit, a Motorcraft part, from Rock Auto. Out of the box it looks perfect. Once I tried to install it, I found that the nipple that secures the hose that goes to the DCCV is materially larger in diameter. And, the existing hose is custom bent to its purpose in such a way that I cannot work in any step-up adapter in there? Do they offer a new hose that is wider at the topo now? WTF? I paid expedited shipping to get this by the weekend and here i am, flustered once again - even the easy jobs are hard. See photo below. The nipple on the left is the new unit (a little soap on it for fitting - that was of no use)... the original is on the right - materially smaller. What a cluster...

hose difference small.jpg

Rockauto has been known to send the wrong part in the right box.

It is exactly the same in every other manner - I cannot imagine that Motorcraft or Ford went to the manufacturing expense to build two identical parts with the excetion of one having a 3/4" ID hose barb to the DCCV and the other having a 1" ID Hose barb to the DCCv - this violates every element of volume manufacturing and design. As I look at the RockAuto photo under 2000 V6 LS, the photo is close-up enough to realize that they are showing the larger diameter barb, which is not what is on my car - and I figure mine is original, given it's state of decay. I will fabricate something, but I am certainly annoyed. If anyone has solved this one already, let me know. Thanks everyone! Tom

I can give you far worse examples or similar but not exactly the same part than that. The LS is a case study in parts that aren't exactly like on any other car. That hose is for another model, but do as you wish...

You are also missing the small plastic tube. I think you recieved a gen 1 V6 tube. What year is your LS? I buy that part only motorcraft, all the aftermarket ones are junk.

The new one is correct part for gen 1 V6. Your old one is some how maybe the wrong one? Did the PO modify it maybe?

I also received a wrong hose for my 2000 V6 from RockAuto. The shipped part was from Motorcraft. My original hose had a 3/4 inch line going to it, the new hose fitting was for a 1 inch line. I thought it was because my car has a manual transmission (maybe it the 2000s that are different). I ended up buying a fitting from Home Depot (a copper tubing adapter) and shortening the 3/4 inch line a little and bought a short length of 1 inch line to connect the fitting to the new radiator hose. I attached it with worm drive hose clamps. I was not happy with the final install it was a real bodge. The adapter has no lip to keep the hose from coming off, but it has held since November 2014. I wrote to RockAuto to complain.

Posting on LVC.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...nge-2002-Lincoln-LS-v6-Please-help&highlight=

Response and e-mail to RockAuto (November 2014)

Hello Pragmatic,

I apologize that you had a problem with this order. I greatly appreciate the information. I will take a closer look at the part in question and be in touch with my catalog team to resolve any error in our listing for this hose.

Thank you,
Hannah
RockAuto Customer Service

Pragmatic wrote:
I ordered an upper radiator hose for my 2000 Lincoln LS (Order Number
26973002). The hose seems correct and all fittings are in the right
spot and size except the lower heater hose fitting is the wrong size
(1inch dia rather than the 3/4 inch that was on the original).

I will need to purchase an adapter to enlarge my hose to fit the
supplied fitting. It is not worth shipping back but you should correct
your application guide.

Pragmatic, I will be doing the same bodge you did, but I found a brass adapter that has barbs on it - so with a tight hose clamp it will not slip off. Also, since you received a hose with a 1" ID line going into it, that indicates that the new hoses will mate up to the 1" nipple on the new Motorcraft upper radiator hose assembly. However, I NOT going to replace that hose and try to access the back of that dang DCCV valve again. As a side note, had Ford made all of the hoses 5" longer, they oculd have placed the DCCV in a place that was accessible. Makes me wonder if automtive engineering includes experts thining about engineering for serviceability, or, is the engineering limited to functionality and initial manufacturing cost?
HyeLifeLS - that little plastic tube/barbed-nipple is the reason I had to order the new part - it broke off the orginal unit and is therefore not showing in the photo.
THanks again everyone. Tom

The new one is correct part for gen 1 V6. Your old one is some how maybe the wrong one? Did the PO modify it maybe?
I have the same issue with my 2000 LS. The T-fitting cracked where the 5/16" (8mm) hose barb came off. I tried 3 different suppliers including the Factory-specified Motorcraft part, and everything is the same except the new part has too large a nipple for the 45-degree outlet. Mine is 3/4", and all the new ones are 1"!!
For what it's worth, mine is also the V6 with the 5-sp Manual Trans.

Last edited:
It is exactly the same in every other manner - I cannot imagine that Motorcraft or Ford went to the manufacturing expense to build two identical parts with the excetion of one having a 3/4" ID hose barb to the DCCV and the other having a 1" ID Hose barb to the DCCv - this violates every element of volume manufacturing and design. As I look at the RockAuto photo under 2000 V6 LS, the photo is close-up enough to realize that they are showing the larger diameter barb, which is not what is on my car - and I figure mine is original, given it's state of decay. I will fabricate something, but I am certainly annoyed. If anyone has solved this one already, let me know. Thanks everyone! Tom
Once again I can't disagree with Joe...you would be best to go with a GATES brand ...yes even though GATES is aftermarket they are usually spot on with the OEM match of original Equipment Manufacturer I found owning LSes for many many years

Makes me wonder if automtive engineering includes experts thining about engineering for serviceability, or, is the engineering limited to functionality and initial manufacturing cost?
After replacing hundreds of parts on many different cars in my life I no longer WONDER...and instead except your wondering thoughts as TRUTH

Went through this problem 2 years ago with my Gen 1 V-6. The solution for me was to get a new Ford hose that goes from the DCCV to the fitting in question. The new ones have the larger diameter on the end that connects to the upper radiator hose. That solved the problem for me. I believe the part number is XW4Z 18472 DA. I got mine from the Ford Parts Giant.

I got the off brand one from rockauto, worked like a charm on my 2000. And only about $35 iirc!

I think we need to understand the car is Engineered to be assembled ONCE. As fast and cheap as possible. There is and never has been any consideration for servicing. Why? Because you are not suppose to repair your car. Your suppose to purchase another new car and discard your old one.

Further more you are not suppose to even work on your car you should take to the dealer for any and all work. They have just about completed this task as most people are so stupid that all they can do is hold a phone and take pictures.

Members online

Back