Thermostat housing

my1stmarkVII

LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on replacing thermostat housing.
The bottom bolt is a real bear.
1986 mark vii
is there a special wrench?

No special wrench needed. Do you have a "tab" on the water pump blocking the bolt on the right side of the housing? If so, grind that tab down with a dremel or something and you shouldn't have any problems.

Move the distributor out of the way. Its pretty easy, i did one in about 30 minutes a few days ago. A 1/2 angled ratchet wrench does wonders in this situation.

Thanks

I got three good ideas, thanks again guys your the best. I am going to try old schools idea fisrt, (replacing the bolts with alan type bolts). I don't really want to mess with the dist. I'm Not that mechanically inclined.

Hope It Don't Leak

Well the alan bolt did not do the job, but moving the distributor over about an inch gave me the clearance I needed to get to the bottom bolt. Now just waiting for the silicone to dry. Hoping I got the dist back in its right spot. Welcome to the wonderful world of fords.

:rolleyes:

my1stmarkVII said:
Well the alan bolt did not do the job, but moving the distributor over about an inch gave me the clearance I needed to get to the bottom bolt. Now just waiting for the silicone to dry. Hoping I got the dist back in its right spot. Welcome to the wonderful world of fords.

:rolleyes:
my1stmarkVII,
There are shortie sockets on a swivel (just 3/8 inch depth). That's how I was able to get mine off. Sorry I didn't see this message till too late.
Lincolnlov

Job Done

By moving the dist. it gave plenty of room to reach the bottom bolt with a closed end 1/2 wrench. No leaks! make sure to mark the spot of the dist. as to get it back to where it was. I got lucky 2 turns on the bolt and it moved like butter. Thanks for all the feed back.
:)

Members online

Back