The Wife Made Her Decision

Fastbird

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
And I hate to say it, but the LS is on it's way out the door. :(

As much as we both love the car and as phenemonal as it is, the higher mileage and frequency of which things have gone wrong just doesn't sit well with us. We love the car when it's running right, love everything about it, but enough was enough with three strandings in a month.

We considered upgrading to a newer LS, but given the way the LS holds it's value (or rather doesn't) don't feel that it's a sound idea. That, and we just aren't so comfortable with the overall reliability with them right now.

Looks like we're going to make a move into a 06 Passat V6. We drove one last night and were completely floored by the quality and features the car had. I did a side by side comparison to the LS, and the only thing the LS seems to offer over the Passat is interior space (not by much though) and overall size.

But, there is a very slight chance that we may get rid of our 99 Celica instead and I'd keep the LS for myself. Very slight, but we'll see what happens. That way I could just rack miles at will and I wouldn't worry about it.

More to follow. We really hate getting rid of it and leaving the great community and support we've gotten here, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

:V :yourock:

Actually, after a phone call to the insurance company, we've got a VERY good chance of me keeping the LS as my driver now. :) I'm kinda optimistic about that happening. She and I are getting the same rate right now on everything and the only increase would be the Passat at $600 a year for full.

The wife wasn't too enthralled (I think the conversation went her:"but the celica is a nice car" me:"but I love the LS so much" her:"It's a piece of sh*t!") but we're going to talk it over.

Fastbird said:
And I hate to say it, but the LS is on it's way out the door. :(

As much as we both love the car and as phenemonal as it is, the higher mileage and frequency of which things have gone wrong just doesn't sit well with us. We love the car when it's running right, love everything about it, but enough was enough with three strandings in a month.

We considered upgrading to a newer LS, but given the way the LS holds it's value (or rather doesn't) don't feel that it's a sound idea. That, and we just aren't so comfortable with the overall reliability with them right now.

Looks like we're going to make a move into a 06 Passat V6. We drove one last night and were completely floored by the quality and features the car had. I did a side by side comparison to the LS, and the only thing the LS seems to offer over the Passat is interior space (not by much though) and overall size.

But, there is a very slight chance that we may get rid of our 99 Celica instead and I'd keep the LS for myself. Very slight, but we'll see what happens. That way I could just rack miles at will and I wouldn't worry about it.

More to follow. We really hate getting rid of it and leaving the great community and support we've gotten here, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

:V :yourock:
I work at a VW/Audi/Mercedes/Mazda dealership. The new Passats are a decent car for the value........with VW/Audi, you will always get great interior fit and finish with other good features. However, if you think your LS has problems, wait until you own a VW. They aren't so bad when they have their warranty, but you would never catch me driving one out of warranty. Also, they are expensive to repair.........much more than the LS. I'm not trying to talk you out of a VW, but from my experiences, they aren't as good a value as other brands. Best of luck with the new purchase!

in support of DLS8K's claim, just check out edmunds or pretty much any car board. VWs (and audis) have horrible reliability, from what I've read.

We've considered that, but a few of our friends have VW/Audi cars and no one has had any problems.

Our biggest thing is the warranty. We'd have a brand new car with a bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years/50K miles, powertrain for 5 years 60K miles, and then through Geico we'd also have a 7 year 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty. Once out of warranty, new car time.

We'd consider a lease, but drive too much. We're in the 18-20K a year category for mileage.

I'd like to keep our LS, but I'm just terrified of the current trend of problems continuing. Granted, it's got new coils as of March last year, new fuel pumps as of march last year, and a new T-Stat and coolant overflow tank as of January, but I have to wonder if it's going to continue. The flooding thing kind of irks me, and a new PCM would be ungodly (would an tune from whomever take care of that??). As as much as I'd like to continue to talk down about the reliabilty of the car, I can't because I like it so much. Plain and simple, it's probably my favorite car out of all I've owned. How screwed up is that?

Fastbird, if you don't mind, may I ask what year and what motor is in your LS?

Thanks,
John

P.S. Take heed to the above notes regarding VW's!

i say get the VW, i have a few family members with them and they are wonderful cars, and are extreemly comfey. (or...i dont know if ya heard, theres a mk8 for sale!;) )

Yep, sure is....listed right there below all your posts. Sorry!

If my wife said a 99 celica was a nice car I think I would drop dead. Celica or LS V8 this isn't a real question is it????? IMHO, LS.

Well, you gotta understand where she's coming from. My 99 Celica isn't a luxury car by any means, but it's in outstanding shape for what it is. It's a very nicely designed car, just slow as molasses and doesn't have the same fit or finish as the Lincoln. Then compare cost, ect. You can't compare the two cars. But the Lincoln left her stranded 3 times herself in the past year, the toyota is about as maintenance free as you can get.

She's leaving the decision up to me, and I'm just mulling it over at this point. Emotionally, I'd give up the Celica in a heartbeat and keep the LS. Financially and realistically, I've got to weigh all the options. Got about a month before we're getting the Passat as it sits, so there's time to mull it over a bit.

Fastbird said:
Well, you gotta understand where she's coming from. My 99 Celica isn't a luxury car by any means, but it's in outstanding shape for what it is. It's a very nicely designed car, just slow as molasses and doesn't have the same fit or finish as the Lincoln. Then compare cost, ect. You can't compare the two cars. But the Lincoln left her stranded 3 times herself in the past year, the toyota is about as maintenance free as you can get.

She's leaving the decision up to me, and I'm just mulling it over at this point. Emotionally, I'd give up the Celica in a heartbeat and keep the LS. Financially and realistically, I've got to weigh all the options. Got about a month before we're getting the Passat as it sits, so there's time to mull it over a bit.

its a very hard decision. I personally would drops the LS if its a finacial issue. I love my LS but if times got hard I would buy a gas friendly car and drop the LS. If you have the money I would keep the LS as its a nicer car.

Also you have to look at the value obviously the LS is worth more so if you sold it yuo would make more money

again if you have the cash keep the LS if not you should get rid of it.

I know from owning one in the past they are great cars but the only thing is when stuff starts going wrong it all goes fast and super expensive for parts....(atleast it used to be)

Keep the ls as a toy and get her a new car....Im not married but Im smart enought to know if she's not happy NOONE will be.......So get her what she wants and make everyone happy......(LOL) just dont get a celica....that is a piece of SH*t

good luck and happy shopping

SilverLS said:
Keep the ls as a toy and get her a new car....Im not married but Im smart enought to know if she's not happy NOONE will be.......So get her what she wants and make everyone happy......(LOL) just dont get a celica....that is a piece of SH*t

Well, we're getting a new car either way. No question about that. But your remark about the Celica made me laugh. Have you ever owned a celica. I got a freebie 89 Celica back in 2001 and drove that thing through last summer. It took everything I had to throw at it and just kept plugging along. Finally wanted something newer and bought my 99 Celica because of how reliable the 89 was. Granted, they're no LS, but for the money they're a damn good car. Extremely reliable, get 30+ MPG, attractively designed with a nice interior, and yet simple. They're great little cars.

We owe 11K on the LS right now, and a NADA trade in shows $10K and a KBB Private party price shows $9.2K in value. We're upside down, which is why I say that it would make more sense to keep it rather than cough up X amount of dollars to even out just to trade in. My wife isn't keen on it because she's convinced it's going to continue to break (and I'm a little wary because of what happened with my 99 TRans Am a few years back -- lemon law, 8 months of continual breakage) but I just get eaten up when I think of it going away. It's really a rough decision to make, but we've got a little bit of time to debate still, and see how it performs between now and then too. But right now, considering the only insurance hit we'd be taking is an extra $300 every six months for the Passat, I'm heavily leaning towards keeping the LS, especially considering that I've got a DVD manual enroute. That, and the continual support I've gotten from all you guys here.

I have a couple of friend that have them and my girlfriend wanted one soo bad....we went and test drove them and I did not like anything about it....Your right it is no LS and I guess for the money its not a bad car but its not my cup of tea.....I though it had a very CHEAP LOOKING interior and felt very slow (couldnt get out of it own way when pulling into traffic) now I agree I almost bought an 89 5 year ago as a toy project and that thing was fun.....but I couldnt talk the pop's into doing it.....all in all I wish you luck with what ever you do and hope it all works out for you.....

I know when I got hit twice in two weeks I was thinking well this mayeb a sign!!! But we will see what time has to tell.....Im trying to talk the girlfirend into getting an LS her saturn isnt doing to good and she likes my car but though it would be too much If I can find a good deal on one (payments around 300-350 ) she will do what it take to get one....I think that would be so cool if she had one too....

It's sad, because VW has gone from the people's car to some euro-luxo high class vehicle. I am in the market for a newer (but not brand new vehicle), and reading the horror VW/Audi stories are making me steer clear of them. Not to mention the poor customer satisfaction. I have a friend with two VW's who has vowed to not buy another simpy bc they are unaffordable now. I have always been a F/L/M fan and drive two Mustangs, and have always loved the LS, but something was steering me towards a Passat, up until yesterday doing all my research. Looks like an LS may be the ticket.

SilverLS said:
I know from owning one in the past they are great cars but the only thing is when stuff starts going wrong it all goes fast and super expensive for parts....(atleast it used to be)

Keeping the LS and getting her something new sounds good but when mentions he still owes 11k on it makes that decision pretty rough. It is an almost 7 year old model car. A paid off 2000 LS is a toy (my2004 is paid off but by far means no toy) but not many have 11k to toy around with.

Members online

No members online now.
Back