The ultimate car for the OTHER space in your garage...

John Hubertz

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
...hey all, I'm hoping that as a Mark VIII community some of you would get a kick out of this - I'm familiar with this car. Right now it is on ebay, and I almost bought it but chose a different '77 SEL.

I really recommend this model Mercedes as the ultimate garage-buddy for a Mark for two reasons; first, it also is a near-forgotten and underappreciated car, and thus can be bought for a reasonable price vs. any other car of similar merit (sound familiar?). Second, it is as opposite a Mark as a car can be, the ultimate in subtle, low-tech expression of luxury, and you would have to drive it to believe how incredibly different it is from the Mark, and yet like the Mark, a completely satisfying luxury automobile.

Here's a picture. Super-rare color, 1977 450 SEL, 83,000 actual miles, perfect documentation and maintenance history. Buy-it-Now of $3900... and they are taking bids. (no I don't have any interest in selling it - I only am a fan of the car as I almost bought it instead of "Max")

7e_4.jpg

You see, I bought my Mark VIII because the 450SEL I chose has no sunroof - a rare deletion. SO... IF you have a Mark VIII, but LACK the sunroof... you might think about the fact that this car has one. And I cannot tell you how well these cars complement the Mark.... you'd have to drive one to know.

Anyway, thought I'd toss it into the forum 'cuz it gave me an excuse to talk cars :) :D :)

So, if I complain about the price of parts for the Mark VIII,
will I break into tears when part shopping for that?

Fortunately, MB supplies cars and commercial vehicles for all the third-world countries....HUGE reproduction component availability and wholesalers grey-marketing in common items. Examples include new front fenders for under $40.

OEM parts aren't cheap, but used parts are super common as yards don't generally crush Mercedes. On a part-for-part basis I spend less on Benz parts than USA stuff, but I'm a broker and have years of practice since I specialize in German cars.

Internal engine pieces would be cheaper if they were solid gold, but they last 500,000 miles so that isn't usually an issue. Everything else isn't too bad.

I had one, and 15 000 dollars later it's sitting in my yard, with a broken suspension. I replaced the engine and several very expensive OEM parts....yes, you can have good expeirences, but overall, I would reccomend not buying a 116 Benz unless you were prepared to spend a lot of money should something expensive break.
When the car was running, it was a real pleasure to drive - truly an amazing sedan!

yeah, a 1974 450 SE (standard wheelbase, not the long) cured me from the big Benz buying. Nice enough car, but losing a fuel pump or an alternator will have you taping the home equity line of credit for just the cost of the parts alone.

190e (or commonly known as a w201) 16 valve 5 speed getrag was mine... nice car, blew the head gasket

FYI - I copied your posts over to the W116 website, and everyone agrees that these can be genuine issues. The huge problem with the front ends is the fact that Mercedes considered them to be "lifetime" lubricated and advertised no service required.... unfortunately, they weren't thinking 30 years down the road.

I'll be installing grease zerts in my ball joints (they are new) and as soon as I replace my tie rod ends - thanks!

As far as engines/trans stuff, the biggest key to owning a Mercedes is having a good local mechanic and contacts in the Mercedes owner's community. Like a Mark, almost anything can be found - if you have friends.

stuff can definitely be found, but wehn you get into stuff like a fuel distributor for the mechanical injection- that is expensive no matter who you get it from.

Well, I'm pleased to see that it sold for buy-it-now (I think it went too cheap).... I paid less for Max and he's in better shape with fewer miles....

Maybe another risk-taking LVC member?

Members online

No members online now.
Back