The $$$ Totals for the swap

phreakness

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Alot of people have PM'ed me no how much to do the swap. I had to create this list for the insurance people so here are the totals without labor of what is done to the car so far.

Car (bought in 2000 w/10,019 miles) 26,000
04 Cobra Motor 9000
Kook midlength headers with 03 Cobra Flange 715
Custom dual Fuel Pump, regulator and lines 675
stock Heat Exchanger pluming and pump 215
relocation alternator bracket 108 (didnt need)
transmission cooler stock
transmission flexplate 60
motor mounts 120
LDC Chicago cooling mod kit 200
exhaust tubing 500
torque converter 870
Lincoln Wiring harness 175
extended o2 sensors 120
Snow's performance Methanol injection 400 (not installed)
SCT Tuner 300
mark oil pan, pick up, gasket 200
SCT PRP 300
ported blower, throttle body, plenum 550
Polished blower, throttle body, plenum 750
boost and oil pressure gauges 120
Wideband o2 sensor 500
valve covers 300
rims and tires 2000
brake calipers 400
rotors 320
powder coating 600
2# lower pulley 350
hub swap parts 413
Idlers 250
2.8 Upper pulley 100
COP covers 200 (not installed)
Transmission built 2500 (not installed)
rear end (built 3.27 trac-loc) 370 (not installed)
drive shaft 400
Pro-M custom Calibrated MAF 200
60# injectors 360
NOS 125 shot dual bottle system 1300 (not installed)
Nuts bolts, crap 1000

Alpine IVA-D300 Head unit 1600
Alpine TUA-T020XM XM tuner 300
Alpine CHA-S634 MP3 Changer 300
Alpine NVE-N851A DVD Navigation* 900
Alpine PXA-H700 Dolby Digital Equalizer 800
/Crossover/Time Alignment
PPI Precision Power PCX 4125 700
PPI Precision Power PCX 2125 550
Alpine MRV-T 407 220
MB Quart QSD 213 5.25 component set w/xovers1100
MB Quart QSD 164 Midbass set w/xovers 500
Orion HCCA 12” sealed 400
Alarm: DEI Viper 791 two way alarm with 1200
remote start, DEI 530T Power Window Automation
System (2), DEI 6 channel expander, DEI keypad
Starter Kill, DEI Proximity sensor, Viper 507t
Tilt motion sensor,
Other: Pentium 4 1.8 MHz PC, 40 Gb HD, DVD, 1700
ATI 64Mb Video Card, Belkin Bluetooth dongle,
Bluetooth GPRS modem phone, Bluetooth GPS,
96 port digital PC104 I/O controller,
PC104 quad-band Cell phone interface.
AudioQuest Type8 speaker wire, 1300
Copperhead Analog Audio Interconnect Cables,
Optilink Optical Digital Cables,

coming this winter:
Paint 8000 Est.
Interior 1300 - 3000
bushing replacement hell 1000

9k for an 04 Cobra Motor? Wow... I did get a deal!

I need to do the same for my insurance soon since I am going to a plan where I place the value, not a book. Costs more, but covers more. Same insurance that does classics and collectable cars.

9k for an 04 Cobra Motor? Wow... I did get a deal!

I need to do the same for my insurance soon since I am going to a plan where I place the value, not a book. Costs more, but covers more. Same insurance that does classics and collectable cars.

I got this motor 2 years ago, July plus its a 04 non-ticking head engine, only had 15k on the motor, I watched the wreck happen and I helped with the pull. I know the complete history of the motor and where it came from. no pulley swap or ported blower, just exhaust, CAI and a tune. Most of the deals back then (and somewhat now) are 03's with tick heads, or a million raced miles or just plain scams.

Knowing the history is good. But I paid $2k for an 04 with 3k on it with test papers from Ford - does not tell much though other than it was from Ford. I also got mine 2 years ago - difference being Aviator versus Cobra, but as you know there is no difference really across all the 04 and across all 03s unless you look at the "R" engines. Boy, wish I had one of those!

Knowing the history is good. But I paid $2k for an 04 with 3k on it with test papers from Ford - does not tell much though other than it was from Ford. I also got mine 2 years ago - difference being Aviator versus Cobra, but as you know there is no difference really across all the 04 and across all 03s unless you look at the "R" engines. Boy, wish I had one of those!

yea there is a big difference, there are alot of problems with the 03 DOHC heads. a good majority of them had ticking heads. there was a "service bulletin" on the issue for all 2003 DOHC heads, some are still on the road today or were pulls for warranty replacement. alot of those engines are out on the market. That good enough for most people but not for me. I dont think I've heard of anyone blowing their engines up because of it but there were probs with 03's. 04's didnt have the problem

It was a coolant passage issue on the passenger side head, any good machine shop could fix it.

It was a coolant passage issue on the passenger side head, any good machine shop could fix it.

Thats a supper minor thing, The LDC (now steeda) head cooling mod is easy breezey to install and works well. Having a machine shop fix that issue is a monumental task as you have to remove the heads, once you've done that you now have to re-chain / retime the heads which is no small task for the average shade tree swapper. give me a $200 bolt on fix over head work and re timing 4 cams.

"yea there is a big difference, there are alot of problems with the 03 DOHC heads. a good majority of them had ticking heads. there was a "service bulletin" on the issue for all 2003 DOHC heads, some are still on the road today or were pulls for warranty replacement. alot of those engines are out on the market. That good enough for most people but not for me. I dont think I've heard of anyone blowing their engines up because of it but there were probs with 03's. 04's didnt have the problem"

I think you mis-read me. I was saying that all 03 are pretty much the same and that 04s are pretty much the same - I was not trying to say that 03 and 04 are the same, I was saying they are the same within the year.

And I like that cooling mod - I think its something I need to do. I need to dig more into it, but it mentioned the trans has to be dropped? Anyone know why? Is it just for access?

Unity i'm sure you know the 03/04 Cobra engines are supercharged and come with forged internals right?

Ya, but when I say engine, I do not include intake since people swap so much, it is more of an accessory in a way and in no way has anything to do with engine strength, etc. As far as I recall, only the cams are forged and the block is iron but the rest is the same as all others of that year.

The only exception to the rule was the Cobra "R" engines. That power plant was beefed up with forged innards and again, iron block.

I had a link that broke down the 03/04 engine builds into what was the differences between the flavors offered - but, as usual, I cant find it.

I did a lot of shopping and research for my engine, although its been a while, I know I went with the Aviator engine since its the same as all the other widely available 04 modulars (excluding intake). This is not the same as other years, like 2000, etc.. where there where more variations. It seemed that in 03 Ford wanted to stream line engine production or something and reduced the diversity. What people seem to do is go buy the "Cobra" this and "Cobra" that when they could have had the exact same for a lot cheaper..... its like the lower control arms for the Mark. "Lincoln" ones run over $100 each, T-Birds are about $50... same part, yet you pay for the name.

If I can locate the spec data I will post it.

are the intakes different from the marauder and the aviator?

Yes, the Aviator intake is special. The 03/04 Cobra engines come with forged rods, pistons and crank as well as an iron block for the Eaton blower. Of course they come with 39lb injectors and high output fuel pumps stock as well. They do have the same heads and cams as the other 03/04 DOHC motors though, that is true.

Big time. When it comes to intakes the Aviator is best but its huge so most dont go with it. It has IMRCs! I dont think the Marauder intake is anything like it and I am pretty darn sure lacks IMRCs. The builder I sold it too is always looking for Aviator intakes since they can be used to produce a great deal of power yet they are not too easy to come by - although by now I am sure there are more in the yards so supply would be up.

Yea, I remember when the Aviator came out a few years ago they swapped the motor into a 99 Cobra and it made 306rwhp bone stock! That intake manifold is a really good piece.

Ya, I wish I could have used it - but if you cant see the road..... ok.... so its not THAT tall, but I hate cowl hoods as much as I hate onions....

aviatorinstall.jpg

aviatorintake.jpg

intakeapart.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back