The rebuilt 2001 3.9L V8 is back in at last!

Gearheadloco

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just wanted to share a last few pictures of my year-long 2001 3.9L V8 rebuild project. I now understand why Ford/Lincoln recommends that the engine and transmission be dropped out of the car instead of pulling the engine out from the top as I did. It's impossible to install and torque the last four bolts that hold the transmission to the engine in the way I did it! The car has been running great for the last couple of weeks so apparently the 12 of 16 bolts I did get in are doing the job! But word to the wise - sometimes the manufacturer has it right.

So my learnings from the project for all LS enthusiasts out there (most of which you guys know already but I had to learn the hard way) -

- The 2001 LS 3.9L V8 may have been assembled in Lima, Ohio, but the 2001 model year engine is essentially a 2000/01 Jaguar S-type 4.0L for -

- connecting rod bearings
- crankshaft main and thrust bearings

My engine's original pistons, crankshaft and oil pump were destroyed when two connecting rod bearings spun around and destroyed the crankshaft, filling the oil sump with metal shavings. Fortunately good used parts were available with Lincoln LS dismantlers, so I can't vouch for whether the Jaguar S-type crankshaft, pistons or connecting rods are identical to the Ford/Lincoln equivalent.

- When shopping for engine bottom-end parts, talk to the Jag guys as all Ford/Lincoln parts folks will do is give you dumb looks.

- Piston rings and head bolts are about all that I could find new for this engine, from Mahle and Felpro respectively. Felpro has just about all of the gaskets for this engine, save the oil pump gasket. I had to re-use my old one.

- Alternators, starters, A/C compressors and your power steering and fluid fan pumps are available rebuilt. I try to use Denso as they have been ultra reliable for me - but consider doing all of these while the engine is OUT OF THE CAR. Once back in, replacing any of these is a real PITA.

- I used new Denso coil-on-plug assemblies and they work fine too.

So let me know what you think of the rebuild, and if I can be of any help with questions from anyone considering doing this themselves, please let me know. It looks scary but isn't so bad if you go slow and ask your friends for help!

Phil in San Diego

Anyway, here's the engine bay all cleaned up and ready for the engine:
0310181700a.jpg

Here's a couple photos of the engine going in - I think the thin-mint green block looks good!
0310181659.jpg

0310181659b.jpg

0310181658a.jpg

There must be a whole half inch of space between the engine and the wheel wells getting this thing in. Maybe coming up from the bottom would have been better.....

0330180936.jpg

0330180936b.jpg

.... And finally back together.... I guess I got the timing chains right the first time, as she purrs like a kitten. Say what you like about British engineering, this car really moves!

0414181620a.jpg

0414181620.jpg

The Lincoln will be my son's wheels when he gets home from college this summer. I'm not sure I want to give it to him now! Anyway, on to the next project - a blown up 2001 VW Beetle for my new driver daughter!

IMG_20170330_175042.jpg

Hey gang,

Just wanted to share a last few pictures of my year-long 2001 3.9L V8 rebuild project. I now understand why Ford/Lincoln recommends that the engine and transmission be dropped out of the car instead of pulling the engine out from the top as I did. It's impossible to install and torque the last four bolts that hold the transmission to the engine in the way I did it! The car has been running great for the last couple of weeks so apparently the 12 of 16 bolts I did get in are doing the job! But word to the wise - sometimes the manufacturer has it right.

So my learnings from the project for all LS enthusiasts out there (most of which you guys know already but I had to learn the hard way) -

- The 2001 LS 3.9L V8 may have been assembled in Lima, Ohio, but the 2001 model year engine is essentially a 2000/01 Jaguar S-type 4.0L for -

My engine's original pistons, crankshaft and oil pump were destroyed when two connecting rod bearings spun around and destroyed the crankshaft, filling the oil sump with metal shavings. Fortunately good used parts were available with Lincoln LS dismantlers, so I can't vouch for whether the Jaguar S-type crankshaft, pistons or connecting rods are identical to the Ford/Lincoln equivalent.

- When shopping for engine bottom-end parts, talk to the Jag guys as all Ford/Lincoln parts folks will do is give you dumb looks.

- Piston rings and head bolts are about all that I could find new for this engine, from Mahle and Felpro respectively. Felpro has just about all of the gaskets for this engine, save the oil pump gasket. I had to re-use my old one.

- Alternators, starters, A/C compressors and your power steering and fluid fan pumps are available rebuilt. I try to use Denso as they have been ultra reliable for me - but consider doing all of these while the engine is OUT OF THE CAR. Once back in, replacing any of these is a real PITA.

So let me know what you think of the rebuild, and if I can be of any help with questions from anyone considering doing this themselves, please let me know. It looks scary but isn't so bad if you go slow and ask your friends for help!

Phil in San Diego

View attachment 828569414

Here's a couple photos of the engine going in - I think the thin-mint green block looks good!
View attachment 828569415
View attachment 828569416
View attachment 828569417

There must be a whole half inch of space between the engine and the wheel wells getting this thing in. Maybe coming up from the bottom would have been better.....

View attachment 828569418
View attachment 828569419

.... And finally back together.... I guess I got the timing chains right the first time, as she purrs like a kitten. Say what you like about British engineering, this car really moves!

View attachment 828569420
View attachment 828569421

The Lincoln will be my son's wheels when he gets home from college this summer. I'm not sure I want to give it to him now! Anyway, on to the next project - a blown up 2001 VW Beetle for my new driver daughter!

View attachment 828569422
Looks great! My hat is off to you!!!

Nice work! Car looks great very clean. I really like the green color on the block. Its very different than what you see, custom.

Persistence always pays off. Good Luck with the car.

Hey gang,

Phil in San Diego

Any tips for the removal/reinstallation process?

Awesome write up - love the cleanliness and color scheme too. Did you also paint the Exh Manifolds?

You mentioned the P/S pump is available rebuilt - were you able to determine if this pump is used in other cars, or just the LS/S-Type? Reason I am asking, as I want to see if a delete kit/ Bracket & pulley kit already exists or if I need to have one fabbed up.

Nice work, and enjoy the service position of that NB. No up or down there, just straight out. I miss that part of my MK4 Jetta. I could have the engine & trans out in 2 hours without a lift, just slide the cherry picker forward and back. A stage 1 flash on that 1.8t will have it neck and neck with the gen1 LS most likely too. :)

Hey gang,

Phil in San Diego

Hey man thank you to all the work you have done. Quick question. I want to know if you have the part numbers of the rod bearings that you used? Also which colors did you use. Did you only use 2 colors for all rod bearings? I have a rod knock and I need to replace them all ASAP. I’ve already previously talked to terry and they can’t help me.

Very nice work indeed, looks amazing!

Hey gang,

Phil in San Diego

3.9 rebuild looks great!

Members online

No members online now.
Back