The Only Coil Thread Needed. Design, Common Issues, Replacement, & MORE Included.

I did 3 and car only has 73K on it. I just did a conversion where the accel coils fit under the stock cover. Write up coming soon. :)

I'm going to replace my coils but money is a serious issue. I found a bunch of different coil brands that all say they are for my 05 ls8 but I notice there is a difference in part numbers (dg-529,dg-528,dg-515 etc.) what do these numbers mean?

I'm going to replace my coils but money is a serious issue. I found a bunch of different coil brands that all say they are for my 05 ls8 but I notice there is a difference in part numbers (dg-529,dg-528,dg-515 etc.) what do these numbers mean?

Little to nothing if they are not Motorcraft or Visteon.

Did this today, thank you OP for the informative post! And...if I ever meet the guy who said "3 craft beers" I will buy him 3 craft beers (the ones I should have had when I was doing this!)

... found a bunch of different coil brands that all say they are for my 05 ls8 ... difference in part numbers (dg-529,dg-528,dg-515 etc.)
what do these numbers mean?

They are FORD Motorcraft revisions, DG529 being the latest.
coils may elsewhere be advertised as "FITS LINCOLN LS dg529 coils".

MOTORCRAFT PARTS DG529 COIL ASSY
^ they MUST advertise it as a Motorcraft DG529 ... and sell you a Motorcraft.

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 2W4Z12029BD, DG509, DG515

Thanks to lincolnlogs for the informative and detailed post.
Links are still NG but I was able to google "LS intake removal" and find a good step by step.
I did not remove the intake completely, just what was needed to swing it to the side and access the 3
COP that were under it. As advised, all new properly gapped plugs, and new COPs (with liberal amounts of dielectric)
Again much appreciated.

SSCB

Awesome Write up Thanks.

June last year(2013) I saw this sweet black 112K 2002 LS on the beater lot down the street and it’s been a labor of love ever since.
The connector for the trunk pop and the dash light dimmer had been swapped so there were no dash lights, the A/C needed a recharge and no sunroof but the bigger problems were the overheating and hard 2nd starting. Thanks to LVC I discovered that it was just the actuator on the hydraulic pump, after a bit of a struggle the overheat problem is long gone and a set of new injectors cleared up the hard starting, the A/C clutch coil held out until the last unseasonably hot day in October so I pulled the connector to the clutch and put in a new fuse so the heater solenoids would work again and since this summer was cool we were able to get away without it.

She was still having the flashing check engine light occasionally after hard acceleration so this Saturday I decided to investigate the coils / VCG issues and pulled the coils and plugs. I found that the coils seemed to be a mishmash of various types but the connectors all seemed fine. There were only two plug wells that had some oil in the very bottom and all the boots were in good condition.

The plugs were all as I would expect dry with a thin layer of grey ash however the gaps were way off ranging from .40 to .65. I pulled and re-gapped all of them to .35. Some had blue rings and at least one was black, weird but in these 50 some years I have come to accept the unexpected.

I wasn’t able to take it for a test drive till this evening. WOW the cold air (about 15⁰F here west of Chicago) and the new gap made a huge difference in power, the transmission has never shifted so smoothly and I even watched the average mileage rise up from 12 to 18 even while driving with a crazy led foot, oh and no flashing yellow check engine.
Anyway it’s time for new Accels and NGKs Merry Christmas Baby! I still need to find the coil brackets but I'll ping hite

Excellent write up and information,Thank you,lincolnlogs.

LS2006 113000 KM.

Last edited:

Members online

Back