IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Ok so i haven't figured out my settings on my cam .. LOL! but you get the picture.. I love this car more than you know..

I can dig it.

I fall in love with PINKIN about once a month when I take it out of the garage for a 1.4 mile spin.

C'mon! Put some miles on that car :)

Headrest Removal

Hey Oldschool, how do i remove the headrests on my MK7? When i bought the car the seat belt retainers were missing . I bought some new ones on ebay and for the life of me i can't remove them head rests. I have spent countless hours sweating with beads of sweat rolling down my face LOL! any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Ray
:confused:

Last edited:
For the retainer screws, go buy one of those little bent screwdrivers.. sorta shaped like a Z. About $2.
Phillips on one end and flat on the other end. They also sell tiny "stubby" Phillips drivers around an inch tall.

The seat rest can be popped off.. just pull it up hard. It's held by a spring clip which should disengage. However they know it sometimes won't and the manual says "If the clip will not disengage..."

get a 12 inch length of thin, flat metal.. I think I used a metal ruler.. It's gotta be able to bend a little bit. Shove it down the front side of the post. You hit something. That's the spring clip. Push down with the metal strip while pulling the post up.

---------
Some seats have a back-trim panel. Remove that, and there's a little access hole in the frame. Trip the clip by sticking a screwdriver in the hole. (this might only apply to T-bird/Cougar or Mustangs..)

Head Rest Removal

Hey Oldschool, how do i remove the headrests on my MK7? When i bought the car the seat belt retainers were missing . I bought some new ones on ebay and for the life of me i can't remove them head rests. I have spent countless hours sweating with beads of sweat rolling down my face LOL! any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Ray
:confused:

Ray,
Reprinted from http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1047&p=11217

artbaileyjr said:
In the stem of the headrest you fill find a grove. I have used both a thin piece of sheet metal in the past and today, at the yards, I used the top of an antenna which I cut off with some wire cutters, (Hey! I was at the yards! Ya work with what ya' got!!!) anyway,.... pull the headrest about half way up and slip the sheet metal (or antenna stalk) into the groove about 10"-12" inches and slide the whole headrest out of the seat.

There is a stop that rides against the stem. It is spring loaded. It must be held away from the bottom stem. The sheet metal ( or antenna) creates a ramp for the spring loaded stop and the headrest will come out.

I was told that you could reach up inside the seat upholstery from the bottom, but I have had no success with this.

headrest_stem.sized.jpg

Art

Our Lincoln Mark VII head rests were engineered NOT to come out in the event of almost ANY crash. Loose stuff becomes a projectile. Sooo, specific steps have to occur to remove them. Art provided the best example that I know of.

"I was told that you could reach up inside the seat upholstery from the bottom, but I have had no success with this."

nope..
The reason I removed my headrest was to remove the cover and reupholster the seats and fix a non-functional lumbar pump/bladder. Also, my driver seat frame was cracked almost all the way through on both sides. Frames are thick sheet metal, and can be welded without much difficulty.

But even with the coverings removed, there's no access to the post or the spring clip.

Those seats backs have the big wings on the sides, and the stitched edge that rub on your pants every time you get in or out wears away.
My stitching was all broken and some leather was destroyed, exposing the foam and padding under it.
I found some vinyl at a very well stocked fabric shop that matched both the embossed pattern and color almost perfectly (the purplish color like in Georgia#319's pix ).. and used original wing sections to cut new pieces.

But i recommend this job to nobody but a pro. It was a royal PITA.
The seat covers are cut so snug and tight (or maybe the leather shrinks to fit after a few years) that you might not be able to get them back on the seats... seriously.
Added to that are thick steel wire supports which have to be inserted here and there, while trying to replace the cover, and just two arms and hands might not be enough. And nothing but an industrial sewing machine will come close to that double stitch. (I used a sewing awl and a very basic stitch).

Hire some upholstery shop if at all possible, imo.

I agree.
I've only SEEN bits and pieces of upholstery work. They actual use huge (36 an 48 inch bars) to move and stretch some pieces. DEFINITELY a job for a shop with all of the RIGHT tools.

I also agree with using a steel ruler to remove the head rest. The latch MUST be recessed first or else we're just spitting in the wind. It's in the shop manual somewhere but I'm way too pooped to scan and post it.

IMG_0184.jpg

I just realized that this car came from Holman Lincoln Mercury across the river from me in New Jersey.

I'll bet that your VCL has a District Sales Office number of 36, just like my 1988, purchased in Philadelphia, PA.

oldschool5016.sized.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back