The infamous transmission shudder....

TJKashin

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So, about 3 weeks ago I started getting a shudder in my transmission around 30-40 mph and again at idle at a stop. I read a bit through here and other venues and spoke to some people, all pointing me to a fluid/filter change. I read on here that someone went to Valvoline to get theirs done, so I decided since there was one down the street and it was $75 cheaper than the dealership, I'd give it a try. I called them up and spoke with the manager and told him what I was looking for. I simply asked him "Do you do full transmission service and how much does that run?" to which he replied "Yes, it runs about $130" I made sure to ask if that included a filter change and Mercon V fluid and he said yes. I made the appointment and went in after work. When I arrived, they were just finishing a coolant flush on a car ahead of me and said it would be about 20 minute wait. I said cool and told him I would go to eat next door while I waited. I also made sure that he knew I was looking for a full transmission service, filter, fluid blah blah blah and he said yes. I went and ate, came back in about 30 mins and they were just finishing up. I asked the tech how the fluid and filter looked and he gave me a dumb look. The manager, who I had been dealing with from the start, came over and asked if anything was wrong. I again posed the question to him about the fluid and filter condition and he told me "We don't do filter changes here, nothing good ever comes from dropping the trans pan." I instantly felt my blood pressure rise as he explained that they have a machine that does a transfusion and he reassured me (so he thought) that it gets all the old fluid out of the torque converter. Then he went on to explain that they don't have Mercon V, but the fluid they do use is compatible and they have an additive that converts it. I was pissed. I had to pay, but I wasnt' happy about it.

I called the number on the invoice, talked to their customer service rep who argued with me that the filter is just wire mesh and doesn't have to be changed. He told me that Ford approves their methods and it should be fine. I told him my issue was that the procedure was not disclosed up front and it was deceptive of their store manager to lead me to beleive I was getting the service that I asked for. I got a refund.

I now have an appointment with my local Ford dealership to do the full service that I want with a warranty. It will cost me $190 but I have learned my lesson here. Hopefully the shudder will go away as it has remained for 500 miles so far on the Valvoline change.

Ouch, anytime Im at a fast lube place I always hover and ask for the old filter which I mark,

I worked at Jiffy Lube for a year so I know excatly what you went through, They performed a T-tech transfusion, which does NOT change the fuild in the TC.

Glad it worked out for you.

Yeah, I just can't see how the transfusion can possibly replace the fluid in the TC. It really torques me (pun intended) that they charged me $130 for 24 pints of ATFB and an 'additive' put in by a machine and they weren't even able to tell me the condition of the fluid that came out.....

I never had a tranny power flush done. always heard it wasn't good the only thing I want hooked up to my tranny lines is when I do a main line pressure test. And always try to watch your car when you go for anything from oil changes to timing belts.

the valvoline express lube next door to my office did my filter and pan gasket for 50.00 and they filled the trans with the mercron V that I supplied.

I've never had a problem with them, but I also "baby sit" my car while it's in their bay.

I NEVER leave my car unattended when service is being done..NEVER.

HAD you not left your car un attended, you quickly would have seen they weren't performing the service you requested and could have stopped them.

So how's the shudder now?

You could always save the fluid they put in (if it fixed the problem), drop the pan yourself and put in a new filter.

ALWAYS babysit your car when being serviced - you may also learn something (like how easy working on the car is and saving yourself a wheelbarrow full of money).

i just got back from firestone, i wanted a trans service too. they told me the ONLY way to get all the fluid out was to do the flush, he said if the dropped the pan they can not drain the TC. im really scared of the flushing, seeing my m8 with 150k miles and i have no idea when the trans was last serviced. i think i will be visitng the dealer for trans service. i would rather pay more for the service then pay alot more later to get the trans fixed.

the flush does remove all the fluid from everything, while the eng is running the pump is pumping constantly circulating the fluid. the flushing machine we have at work (ford dealer) works well. and sadly i have to agree that the filter change isnt exactly necessary if the trans is properly maintained then the filter will be clean, if i gotta open it up then it gets a new filter. 158k on my original trans filter, had a shudder a year ago, flushed to merc v and no more problems

so you think i can flush mine to merc v and it will be ok? i looked at the dip stick, its light red color but the fluid seems kinda thin. my trans is not acting up as it sits now, only complaint i have is it seems to downshift kinda hard. maybe its normal for the milage i have, but idk.

the TC on our cars have drain plugs, so try to do it yourself, dont go to a chain shop, unless you know somebody there.......what i do is drop the pan and open the TC and leave it couple hours sitting draining, itll all come out............

the TC on our cars have drain plugs, so try to do it yourself, dont go to a chain shop, unless you know somebody there.......what i do is drop the pan and open the TC and leave it couple hours sitting draining, itll all come out............

+1, hardest part of draining the TC is getting the bolt lined up at the bottom (one person can do it though)-on the very rare occasion when someone else is touching my car, I never, NEVER let it out of sight-I will even say, when I take it in, I want to watch the work being done-if they do not agree, that tells me who I dealing with, and I am on my way, somewhere else.

Nothing personal, but with almost 40 years of car ownership, it's better safe than sorry, I have learned the hard way.

Adleast your tranny had the up graded ACCUMULATORS, otherwise just having a flush belongs in the bathroom.

Members online

No members online now.
Back