The Final Ball Joint Thread

busaj

LVC Member
Reaction score
There seems to have been a huge amount of people posting requests for information regarding the lower ball joints in the First Generation LS. Given this, and my recent experience with this process, I figured I'd post all the inforamation I was able to gather about the subject in one spot for ease of reference.

I was in contact with Ed of Euromarque (the eBay distributor for replacement lower ball joints) during the end of last week. I must first express my thanks to Ed for his patience, and willingness to help me through this process as well as a few other items that were a problem for my car specifically. Just as an example of his willingness to help, the man answered his phone late on a Saturday night to answer any and all questions I had for him, and I had simply purchased one ball joint from him. Much Thanks again Ed!

Below I have attached the instructions that Euromarque provided me for the r&r on the lower ball joint, and steering knuckle of the first generation LS. I know some of the long-term members and mechanically inclined will be very familiar with this information, but for those of us who are either inexperienced or new to this setup should find the following very helpful, I sure did. One note regarding the recommended torque specifications of the upper and lower ball joints, the pictures in the attached document recommend 111 lb/ft, however it was a recommendation by Euromarque that this be closer to 85 or 90 lb/ft. I personally used 85 lb/ft as I found the 111 figure to be entirely too high for such a small shank, and it's my opinion that this could be a contributing factor, aside from the under-sizing of the 14mm ball joint, to premature failure.

I'm obviously very satisfied with the customer service I received from Euromarque, and am exceptionally happy with the repair and the quality of the replacement ball joint.

As clarification, I am in no way associated with Euromarque, nor do I receive any sort of financial or product support from them, simply a very satisfied customer who was wanting to pass along a recommendation, and a positive story for once!

Attachments

• Remove the wheel hub and bearing___.doc
    303 KB · Views: 437
Given other recent posts, I realized I neglected above to mention the sizing of the ball joint. It is my understanding that late in the 2002 production run, the size of the ball joint was changed from the earlier style (and most common to fail) 14mm joint to a larger 16mm joint. I am unsure of the exact date as to when this change was made, however the manufacture date listed on your vehicle should provide your source for the joint with the data needed to ensure you receive the appropriate replacement part.

i cant open that file. do u have it in a different format?

The torque on the nut has absolutely nothing to do with a ball joint failing, besides the locknut, the torque or stretch of the bolt is what actually keeps the nut tight. Also I really don't feal the LS's actually have a balljoiunt problem, I run an auto shop and I change balljoints in all makes an models, and a lot of them under 100K miles. its just normal wear and tear, just a retarted price the stealerships want, but getting them aftermarket on ebay is about the norm when it comes to price.

I bought a ball joint from them last year!! Awesome part and their customer service is amazing as you stated! I also received it fast!! It is a huge money saver instead of at dealer having to buy the steering knuckle and all. The only reason dealers do this is not only it the cost but easy mass quantities for them to do less work and be able to do it quicker but still charge reg rates. Ball joint alone was a huge plus and it went in fairly easy and made a huge improvement over the stock one cause these can be lubed or left like stock as self contained.
It was a bitch to get old ball joint out but easy as pie getting it in and tightening back up and it took less time too so i didn't get charged an arm and leg to have it done and didn't have to go to dealership to be ripped off!
The whole knuckle and ball joint from dealer is like 2 to 3 hundred dollars!
Ball joint on euromarque on ebay 70 bucks!!! Now i may have to visit them to get new stabilizer links and bushings so the front end rattle goes away!

The only stupid thing about the ebay ball joints is the straight grease fitting. Go buy a 90 degree fitting to put on there instead, so you can actually get a damn grease gun onto the fitting.

The only stupid thing about the ebay ball joints is the straight grease fitting. Go buy a 90 degree fitting to put on there instead, so you can actually get a damn grease gun onto the fitting.

Beware of some of those like that on ebay,they are complete crap and generic quality. just a heads up.

The one I purchased was the one from euromarque, the subject of this thread. Came with a straight grease fitting.

yeah me too!! I haven't greased it yet though and can't remember if the shop did or not. Glad i bought it though very good quality despite the grease fitting.
Just can't stand all the thumping going on in front end over all these bumps here in pa!! probably need new sway bar or bushings to stop all of that.

The shop *should've* greased it. But I can't speak for them.

Those thumps can be hell to diagnose. Hopefully new sway bar bushings will cure it.

speaking of which. Anyone gone back in to re-grease the replacement sway bar bushings many of us put in last year and prior?

how many of us would like to be able to replace upper n rear ball joints as well? Or how many buyers r needed for some brand to build them? By now pretty much all 1st gens have all b joints messed up. I bought the lower fronts but I aint buying the whole arms for the rears nor the upper fronts.

Beware of some of those like that on ebay,they are complete crap and generic quality. just a heads up.

Do you have anything to back this up, have you had a failure from from one, speak up, these companies stand behind them, I have installed many of them and years later are still holding up.

Not sure of the companies but do your research on the web and read reviews and etc i have seen many that have same types or others for sale and owners have commented on early failure. I personally have not experienced any. This is 1st time i ever had to replace 1 but i did a lot of research and euromarque was the winner because of all the great reviews by. owners who purchased from them. Also the time,customer service and information shared with me by said company over the phone also made the decision that much easier.
Not trying to throw any companies under the bus but i'm saying do your homework so you don't have to make 2 or more purchases for inferior parts.
It's just like anything else you buy nowadays especially on ebay!!
I'm sure euromarque isn't the best out there or maybe they are but i know from what i've read and personal experience they are the 1 i would always choose.
BTW-Most companies do not stand behind these and also these single ball joints as sold ball joint only are not mass marketed,in other words these are hard to come by. You usually have to get steering knuckle and all to replace one. There are only a few that offer just ball joint replacement for the ls.
They also don't have a warranty that goes beyond 30 days if any at all.
If i remember euro is 1 year,but don't remember. All i meant in my post is be careful not finger point and throw other companies under the bus. If you do some research you will see and understand. And when you say you've installed many did you mean your ls?
There also aren't many ls's around anymore so that would be a sight to see if you had to do the same thing on so many of them for a known failure component on these cars.
Also the consumer don't always win out when it comes to warranty's on parts unless you own your own shop or business but what do i know?!

When I mean I have installed many of them I mean on different customers cars. I just can't tell someone with a straight face it will be over a 1000$ for ball joints, I just could not do this out of principle, I Own my own shop and I actually try to save my customers money while bringing them the best quality.
Unlike other shops around me I am booked up 2-3 weeks all the time, I am not trying to screw my customers. I guess I am weird, I just see the people as if they were my friends or neighbors, they have limited budgets, kids etc, I am not going to scare them that they need shocks and strut for 500-1000$ just cause it has 50k miles on it, that is just freakin wrong.

Thats awesome work ethic and by your shop being busy all the time is proof!
That is hard to find now a days if at all! When the dealership handed me my bill for everything i was in utter shock and left and did my own research.
Went to local tire&muffler place that has done work for me in past. I bought my ball joint had to get all 4 tires and replace rear brakes&rotors and i got custom exhaust done as well along with an alignment. I then purchased mufflers online along with cai from lskoncepts and the cost for everything including the ball joint install came out cheaper than the dealerships quote! So i basically got new mufflers,custom exhaust,new cai put on top of everything listed by dealership and i still walked away with money in my pocket!! Pretty sad!
You are not weird by any means and judging by your character and honesty you are going to be in business for a long time with a big customer following!
I agree with you on everything you said! I wish there was more people like you in this business!! You don't happen to be in Pennsylvania are you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130400884227&viewitem=

A few years ago I bought the from Deutche Crap Parts and they didnt fit, no response to my emails nor did they accept a return.

I have two LS's and replaced the ball joints from Euromarque (about 6 months ago) and just recently bought them from Eurasia_Parts, which sent them pre-greased and they have an anti rust coating!

Eurasia_Parts (ebay) - Best ones so far
Euromarque (ebay) - Good Joints
Deutche Parts (ebay) - Made in China, no customer service didnt fit
Moog (rockauto.com) - Haven't tried, made in the trunk (Turkey)
Deeza (rockauto.com) - Crap

You bumped 20 ball joint threads - do you work for these guys? :p

Deeza (rockauto.com) - Crap

Dear LowLS,

We apologize that you had problems with the Deeza ball joint you ordered and we are sorry to hear your comment about our products.

All Deeza parts come with our warranty, 2 year/40,000 miles. We have not received any claims from you on the part you purchased yet. However, if you can let us know where you purchased the product, your order number, name, delivery address and part number you received; we would be more than happy to arrange a pick-up for the part from you and refund you fully on your part and shipping costs. This would also give us the opportunity to review the part and understand the reason why it was not up to your satisfaction.

I also read your post saying "they are not the same sizes when bought." and I need to comment on that. The part number LN-G603 is 14mm ball joint and it is dimensionally exactly same with the OE ball joint. There should not be any problems about that as we reverse-engineer the products through the OEM specifications and dimensions and we have sold thousands of this ball joint without any problems in the last 6 months.

If you are looking for the 16mm ball joint for Lincoln LS', you need to order Deeza Part# LN-G604.

You can reach me at my email: koray.kuru @ deezachassis.com or call toll free 877-336-2595.

Thank you.
Koray Kuru
Product Development Director
Deeza Chassis Parts

Members online

Back