Testing for a Vacuum leak p-0171

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am gonna test for a vacuum leak for my p-0171 code but wanted to ask if spraying all the lines and such with brake parts cleaner would give the same results as using starter fluid or card cleaner? I was thinking brake parts cleaner so it might be so harmful on the plastic hoses and rubber on the motor. Or would I be better off doing the old cheap cigar smoke test? I was gonna test for a leak and if no leaks I was gonna replace the upstream 02 sensor on bank 1 since the cat was very bad. I know typically 02 sensors throw their own codes but I know the downstream sensor was bad before and it threw no codes. I have also cleaned the MAF several times and that never helped. So if I find no leaks I would be leaning more towards a bad 02 sensor or possibly bad MAF.

I like smoke. Fluid can miss a spot or area that you don't notice. Smoke goes everywhere and doesn't make a mess plus it's an excuse to light up.

Where are you in NC? I'm in Raleigh.

I like smoke. Fluid can miss a spot or area that you don't notice. Smoke goes everywhere and doesn't make a mess plus it's an excuse to light up.

Where are you in NC? I'm in Raleigh.
Near Wilmington.

Does anyone know the best line to blow the smoke into ?

Yeah I knew that lol I was just wondering which was the best one to use.

Any that attach after the throttle plate should be good, and one much the same as the other. The PCV line comes to mind for me.

Any that attach after the throttle plate should be good, and one much the same as the other. The PCV line comes to mind for me.
I hope it's not a leak with any of these lines they are getting harder to find. What happens when you can't find the replacement is there any kits to make replacement lines? Or would I be SOL

You see the vacuum black plastic hose/line on the cold air inlet pipe just left of the T-stat housing? It’s running up to the intake on the left I would start with that hose first ....

E87C92E1-D2BD-44A0-99FC-47547A47648F.jpeg
Yeah I knew that lol I was just wondering which was the best one to use.

Have you tried to modify the hose ...Otherwise check out Craigslist for people parting out a 1st Gen ...

Yeah in the future that would be great but I was able to order a replacement hose since I finally found one. That was the only one I was worried about finding. And the used ones at the junk yard were in bad shape in general so I wanted to go with a new one. And the clamp I used could very well be the cause of my p0171 code I hope I can get that lucky.

Yeah in the future that would be great but I was able to order a replacement hose since I finally found one. That was the only one I was worried about finding. And the used ones at the junk yard were in bad shape in general so I wanted to go with a new one. And the clamp I used could very well be the cause of my p0171 code I hope I can get that lucky.
Good to hear...

I tested today and I did not see a bit of smoke coming out of anywhere. So I will try again tomorrow, but so far nothing! So I went ahead and ordered the 02 sensor socket since I have a brand new 02 sensor sitting in a box. If nothing else will change it out to rule that possibility out. Since the cat was really bad on that side of the car before I changed it out I can't rule out a bad 02 sensor on the upstream. I have already replaced the downstream on bank 1 so might as well change out upstream since I have the spare sensor sitting around. I even tried spraying the crap out of the one vacuum line that has the clamp and did not get any change it the motor.

Edit: Just to clarify I did the smoke test and the carb cleaner methods. I even sprayed the hoses on the back of the motor and did not notice any change. I might still change them out since you can get two hoses from autozone for like $12 that are a lot stronger than the old stock ones.

Last edited:
Dale, I hear ya on these parts. I just snapped the crankcase ventilation tube changing the VGC. There must be a secret to removing these.

Getting hard to replace and they are brittle as all heck. Every one of the push pin retaining supports attached to a line by tape, fractures to hell if you have to remove them. Guess they can be replaced but the corrugated lines are a challenge.

Members online

Back