Telltale signs: headgasket leak?

mikeyp5d

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Michael and this is my first post to the forum. I recently purchased a '91 deville, and was wondering if someone could provide some insight on a problem. Here's the question:

When the vehicle first starts up, there is some white smoke that comes out of the exhaust, which goes away after a short time (but when you push down the gas pedal in neutral a little more white can be seen coming out). Also, a very very small "spatter" of oil can be identified on the pavement just below the exhaust pipe after she runs for a little while. The engine sounds and runs fine, but I'm wondering if this is a textbook sign of a car in need of head-gasket replacement?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

can anyone comment on how much (on average) a mechanic might charge for this replacement?

Check oil dip stick for discoloration due to water infiltration into oil. If the oil is grayish or whitish in color then there is a head gasket leak. Also check to see if there is any whitish residue on oil cap. Also, check coolant in the expansion tank for color and smell. If the coolant is discolored and smells of exhaust then there is a leaking head gasket.

White smoke coming out the exhaust can also indicate flooding due to leaking fuel injector(s) or even a leaking fuel rail that is allowing gasoline to puddle inside the air box and is being sucked into cylinders.

:W

Good to hear from you Michael! We have several techs on this site; give them a few days to respond.

Here's a quick lesson on tailpipe smoke signals.

1) Startup on a cold, damp day there is going to be a lot of condensation (steam) with dripping that is dark from the carbon residue in the pipe. It might smell a little like a rich mixture exhaust because of the cold engine. This kind of "smoke" is easily dismissed.

2) Dark or black smoke is usually from a rich condition. On a carbureted vehicle it usually is a stuck choke, on an injected vehicle it is usually a bad ECM.

3) White or bluish smoke is oil or coolant. You can normally smell the difference. Coolant will be a nauseating sweet smell, oil will smell like...well...burning oil, for lack of a better description.

If you have a leaking head gasket, the tell-tell signs are one or more of the following:

1) Hydro lock during first morning cranking, on the first turn of the key. Once the starter pushes the coolant out of the cylinder it spins over fine.

2) Milkshake oil. The oil on the dipstick will look like you dipped it in a weak chocolate milkshake from the coolant in the oil. The 710 cap will sometimes have it on the inside of it too, but normal condensation will sometimes give it that look.

3) One or two spark plugs are clean from being 'washed' by the coolant and the rest are normal (carboned). A warped or cracked head will sometimes grip a single spark plug to the point that you can't get it out without some serious work. What gets your attention is that the rest of the plugs come out normally.

4) Gain oil level due to coolant at bottom of pan.

5) Unexplained loss of coolant. You have to keep adding coolant, but you can't find a leak.

6) Coolant boils out because cylinder pressure is pushing into cooling system.

7) Loss of power and runs rough, one or two dead or weak cylinders.

8) Runs hot!

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

A competent auto tech should be able to diagnose a leaking head gasket with the use of a cooling system pressure gauge and/or a CO2 detector.

On an '91 engine and your brief description I would say it is condensation with some oil burning from blow by (rings) and valve stems or their seals. Leaking valve stems and seals will tell on themselves when you stop for a light and then accelerate when it turns green. You'll see a puff of bluish white smoke from the tailpipe. Rings, you'll have the smoke all the time.

Bottom line without further info; I'd say your ride is normal for it's age and you don't have anything to worry about right now, just enjoy the ride![/B

Did I miss anything guys?

wow! thanks for the in-depth response. I actually decided to get rid of the that one and purchased a '94 deville, no only because it runs better, but because it looks a heck of a lot prettier than the previous body style.

Im definetely impressed with the advice provided though, and am excited to be apart of a friendly car community!:D

-Michael

Staff online

Members online

Back