telescopic steering worth it?

Flynbrd

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how hard is it to install and if it's even worth the headache of having. Found a good used one for cheap.

It actually doesn't seem to be that difficult to change out the steering column.
What's wrong with yours?

Nothing is wrong with my steering except it's not a telescopic unit. With a kid on the way I figure it might be a nice addition for the wife. If the car is pre wired and telescopic wheel is not a pain to have we why not upgrade to it? Are all the years the same?

Are you sure about that?
I never heard of an LS without power tilt/telescope steering wheel.

I just don't see any way that your 2004 V8 doesn't have this. Could you take a picture of the left side of your steering column?

You don't have a little joystick lever on the lower left of the steering column? (Push up to tilt up, down to tilt down, in to telescope in, out to telescope out.)

There are only two different steering columns listed for the 04. One with lock and one without. (All US LSes are without steering lock.) Both are with power tilt and telescope.

Have you read your owner's manual?
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/2004LincolnLS-OwnersManual.pdf

this is interesting, I've never heard of a non telescoping steering column...

The car is still at the dealer. I made a mistake in what I was thinking. When we were test driving ls models some had the feature where the steering wheel would pull back when you opened the door. The ls we bought doesn't unfortunately.

The car is still at the dealer. I made a mistake in what I was thinking. When we were test driving ls models some had the feature where the steering wheel would pull back when you opened the door. The ls we bought doesn't unfortunately.

I am sure that you are mistaken there as well (your 04 V8 has this feature). The feature is called easy entry/exit. It can be enabled or disabled through the message center. Press SETUP and cycle through the options till you get to it. Then you can turn it on. With the feature on, the driver's seat will also move back when you take the key out, and forward when you put it in.
I still very much recommend that you read the owner's manual. It is linked in post #5.
(Example: Are you aware that you can set positions for the steering wheel (tilt and telescope), the driver's seat (all eight adjustments), and the pedal position (if equipped with power pedal adjust) for two different drivers? You can also link these two positions to the remotes.)

it could also be malfunctioning and will need to be fixed...

If the headlights don't work either...Its not an option, and should be fixed too :p

Members online

Back