tapping noise

kissedvfd

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 STS

As I pulled the car into the shop to change the oil the 'check oil level' indicator came on and I noticed a tapping noise that seemed to be coming from the lower engine. I didn't think anything about the low oil level light because I knew it was low. After I changed the oil and filter the 'LOL' indicator still comes on when I start the car. The tapping noise is still there too. The noise is louder when the engine is cold started and disappears when the RPM is brought up to about 2k and less noticable at anything over idle speed. Less noticable when the engine warms up too. I haven't had a chance to do any preliminary diagnoises yet and was wondering if there is anything that this engine is prone to (i.e. lifter noise, loose timing chain noise). Thanks for any 'heads up'.

kissedvfd

I use passing other vehicles as an excuse to WOT when ever possible.
Thanks for the input!

I just did a search and read my own advice to someone else.

Somebody else 'picked up' the oil and filter for me and got a filter that did not have an anti-drain back valve. I'll try replacing that and adding some oil additive first. I'll start with the easiest and cheapest first.

These things always seem to happen when I have no time for them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back