tapping/clicking noise

lx5.0

LVC Member
Reaction score
my lincoln is making a noise in the valve cover area where the chains are at but it only does it when accelarating lightly and if you give it more gas it goes away and it also does it when under load could it be a bad chain,i took of valve cover and chains looked pretty tight no slack, does anybody have an idea what else it can be.

No idea but I'm pretty sure I have the same issue. My mechanic finally found the sound I was describing and he says what you said - that it's coming from the timing chain area, but the chains look good.

He said it is an issue with the design of the engine and that it's not going to go away. I'm not accepting that answer yet. This tapping drives me nuts.

How many miles on your car? Mine is an '05 with 40k.

Mine does the same thing. Its an 02 with 90k. Only does the noise under load, never in park or neutral. It makes the noise through all the gears and only stops for a slplit second when the gears shift.

My car is making the noise on the passanger side, on the valve cover closest to the firewall side. I was told by my mechanic that it is "valve chatter".

I had stopped using synthetic at 85k. I just put conventional oil back in my car, and it seemed to make the noise less noticable, but it is still defenitally there, and can be heard clear as day, especially at night time when there is very little traffic.

I dont know for sure if it really is valve clatter, and dont want to go ripping things appart as of yet, as it seems to drive fine, just has the noise. Hope she dosnt blow up.

I have a 01 V8 with 140K. Mine makes a rattle at low rpm's (idle in drive) then it goes away at higher rpm's. I have ruled out hyraulic fan problems. The noise is going from the front of the block. I can see slight movement from the water pump shaft, but i think it is the passenger side timing chain idler or chain guide. I will find out shortly.

Members online

Back