taking the LS to autoshops - is there any point?

perpetualchange

LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there any point at all?

I do my own oil changes as well as whatever little things I can figure out. I've taken the LS to autoshops (2004 V.6, 92k) on a few occasions where the technicians have spent eons trying to diagnose issues and only achieved minimal success.

Have I just been getting bad guys, or is the Lincoln LS just a pretty tough car to diagnose? Is there a point to taking it to autoshops at all? Or should I be going right to the dealer?

I have found that the shops are good enough at diagnosing wear and tear items, like suspension parts, etc. But when it gets into electronics, airbags, etc., it's best to go to the dealership to figure out the problem.

But if i know what needs to be done, I personally prefer a good independent shop to do the work.

If you take it to a lincoln dealer in a bigger city they seem to be familiar with all the issues the LS's have so they have an easier time diagnosing. Of course some lincoln dealers have horrible customer service, and some just suck in general. So find a dealer that is highly recommended. My local lincoln dealer sucks. So I now drive 12 miles to this ford dealer in the middle of the country and couldn't be happier with the service they provide me.

Ditto, just beacuse its a dealer, doesn't mean its worth your time. Plenty of crap dealers out there.

I use a local guy that I trust. He has been able to do almost everything that I couldn't. He did do a PCM update for me, but then I had the Advance trac light on. I had to take it to the dealer for that one. I guess that the advance trac needs to be updated at the same time, but he did not have a tool for that. Most recently the ABS light on and he pointed me to a wheel speed sensor with his scan tool in about 3 minutes.

that all depends what I usually do is check this site first and then take it to the shop and tell them what the issue is and how to fix it. if the shop has the ALL DATA then they have the ability to figure out whats wrong but if its a old school mechanic then the complex issues he may not figure it out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back