Taking my car to Strutmasters...........

CobraConti

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Tommorrow the 95 Conti is headed to Roxboro and Strutmasters is going to install all four springs/shocks with tax for $582 out the door. I am satisfied with the price. Thats everything. :Beer Ah........it pays to be a Gold member! He took half off labor plus the 25% percent of parts. Very nice. :wrench My only question is what am i going to do for 4 hours??!!! I can get the "performance lowering" springs for $100 extra. Im gonna do that too. So $682 out da doa!! :monkey:

It's pretty reasonable considering the cost of oem parts. Let us know how it rides afterwards.

well just got home. Its been a very long past 24 hours. I am really tired. The car rides great! I can tell no difference btw when it was almost new and now. Actually, the longer we drove the smoother the car was getting. After 3 hours it rides just as good....maybe slightly better than the car did stock. We got a tour of the plant which was cool and it didn't really seem that long despite it being about 4 hours. The people working there were very nice. They have several cars and one of them was a turbo diesel mark vii.

CobraConti said:
the longer we drove the smoother the car was getting. .
The bars around Roxboro will do that too you... (You said you had 4 hours to burn)

Nice, very nice! Makes a big difference when you get some new air shocks put in. I did mine a while ago and it sure rids a lot better now!

I've wondered about this, so I'm going to ask.

Doesn't removing the height sensor plugs make the air ride computer go nuts?

Do they remove the compressor, etc, or just pull the fuse? Do you get any sort of warnings on the message center?

When you turn off the air ride switch, the car no longer sees the air suspension. so there are no errors being reported to the computer.

Jack D said:
Did that really include 4 springs and 4 struts for that price?

actually, 4 springs and 2 struts (front two) + labor. I didn't go with the lowering kit and i am actually glad i didn't.

i wonder how far of a drive it would be to go there from cleveland i don,t trust any one here to do somthing like that since no one seems like they now what the hell they are talking about
um so how you liking you ride since it,s been a few weeks alredy since youve had it done
and dose your steering ajustable verable still work good
do you notice when you change from siff to low and normal for the steering please let me know im thinking i might like to have that done even thought i spend 450 having one aftermarket aftermarket shock put in alredy im thinking that i might insted of spending 450 to 500 agen rather spend 500 to have them swiched out and
then loose all the weight from the air ride compnents please let me know whats up

Air Struts
I had one side go out in my 96 cont. I replaced both fronts with active coil overs from stutmaster. These struts by pass the load leveling in front, but let you adjust the ride frimness. Thats what strutmaster says. I took me 2 years lots of agrivation to get them to work. If the ride is not exactly the same with the coil overs as the air struts, the computer will throw codes and the car rides very stiff, Every tar line shakes the car and passengers! Lincoln dealers will not look at it, speed shops screw arround for weeks at a time, and give the car back basically telling me the car is F...ed up. Strut master says go look at the trouble codes and fix the problem.
Problem codes were left front time out up, right front time out down. This means the ride height sensors need to be recalibrated. This procedure requires a Star Testor ll. This is an expensive dealer code reader. I located one, and the recalibrate procedure requires the suspension to go into the test mode. This will cause the suspension to raise up and lower to test output of the sensors, pump, lines solinoids. Once this is performed, this star tester will allow the suspension height to be adjusted, saved, and thus calibrated.
With the coil over struts, the up down setup test will not cycle and the calibration is over, no adjusting or calibration will be set. In other words Strutmaster said they cannot help me any more. The car rides like a rock, and the computer keeps throwing a code.
I was able to fix the problem my self. Don't ask me why the engineers at strutmasters could'nt figure it out. I placed the car on a level surface, used a volt meter to monitor the voltage out put of the front ride height sensors, reaching in with a 11mm box wrench, I adjusted the sensors to the correct voltage. Turned the car off, reset the computer, start the car, problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now the car rides great, I can adjust the ride stiffness, no error codes and the rear leveling works. The bad part is, had I checked the voltage in the first place, I would not have had to replace the air strut with the coil over in the first place, a very expensive mistake.
Some times you just have to tell the EXPERTS, to go jump in the lake, and think for your self. If you have any questions and you think I can help, contact me by e mail.
Christo.
chris.stoffels@comcast.net

Members online

No members online now.
Back