Tail lights leaking and damaged. Need help finding replacements!!

Randy Bobandy

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've searched on multiple occasions, trying to find a place that sells replacement tail light assemblies for my 2001 Licoln LS. I'm nearly convinced that nobody sells them. Has anyone else had this issue?

Plenty on eBay, you might also want to check around at your local bone or u-pull-it yards.

***SPAM***

I have an entire set of (outer & inners) 1st GEN tail lights DEBADGED & TINTED "possibly" for sale.

Trouble is shipping from Canada raises the cost. Thus the above "possibly" notation.

I have one right side outer 1st GEN kicking around in perfect condition, no leaking, no tint but has one broken/missing post.

If you're just getting water in your tail lights, then run a bead of clear silicon (like they use in shower installs) between the black gasket and the tail light housing. I did that on both of mine and no leaks for three years, now. Be sure to completely dry out the housings, first.

I'm really hoping to just replace the brake lights, if i could find them somewhere. The gasket that is on there is not in good shape. do you know if I can get the gasket somewhere?

Second hunting the junkyards.

While searching for parts last month, 3 LS showed up within 5 miles of my home. All with good tail lights.

Keep in mind many yards are having an After Christmas Sale, usually 50% off pricing. I bought one tail light for my LS for $10, can't beat that. Last time I bought a light assembly for a minivan on RockAuto it cost $110. So maybe I saved $100 or 90% eh? Just looked at eBay and they are like $50 and up. So worth a look at the boneyard.

The tail light is easy to remove. Just open up the fabric covering over the light, remove I believe 3 or 4 screws, Unplug I think 2 sockets and out she goes.

Be sure to check what colors yours have. I think there are two variations with either red or amber turn signals.

Good Luck,

Jim h
Henderson

Gen 1 has 3 sockets. The extra socket is for the dedicated tail lamp.

No american LS had amber turns; just red or clear with an amber bulb (though a Ukranian LS, I think, was spotted with amber turns and an LPG or CNG hookup)

The gen 1 was also never sold with anything other than all-red lenses, though there was a short supply of half-clears intended for Japanese export. If you find those in a junkyard and buy them for a normal price, you can probably turn them around for a hefty profit.)

Gen 2 LSs had half red, half clears. Gen 2 LSEs had all red.

car-part.com has the inventory for most junk yards

Members online

No members online now.
Back