t.v. cable

kimberlyrose

New LVC Member
Reaction score
HELP!!! I am an owner of a '86 mark vii and it won't shift right. turns out the t.v.(?) cable is broken. Parts store says one can't be ordered.

Dealer part. Just bought one for my 86 Town Car. Cost me $73 too. Make sure its not just the plastic bushing it pops in to first tho if yours uses that style. I know the 86 Townie uses a one year only cable without bushings, not sure about the M7.

Also, don't keep running it like that. Disconnected TV cables an cause the transmission to burn up if run for too long.

i agree with gadget,the cable controls line pressure,so if you really stick your foot in it,the pres. dosnt increase.next thing you know you loose overdrive,and third will be right behind it.have done a couple hundred of these for failed groumets.

For sure - make sure that the nylon grommet at the throttle arm has
not disintegrated = about $1.75 at Ford -- that is by far more common that broken TV cable --- The cable is a dealer only item -- if indeed bad and dealer cannot get
( OBSOLETE ) your only other hope is junkyard or E-BAY
Good luck

I had the same problem when I bought my Grand Marquis... I found the cable sitting on the lower intake with 3 crums (plastic bushing) next to it. So I went to the hardware store and got a push-nut washer, you know the 1 with the teeth inside the washer. Theres a little groove on the part that goes to the throttle, put it through the throttle, push the washer over it and bend the teeth back down. $.25 and the PROBLEM IS SOLVED! Of course thats if its the bushing...

THe Mark 7 parts car I had blew the trans because of that bushing. Cable was disconnected, OD totally gone, fluid was black and sparkly. If not for that plastic bushing, I'd have a spare trans for my Town Car.

Members online

Back