Symptoms of Bad Starter?

Jesus A Rodriguez

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been having problems lately starting my 04 v8. After a couple starts it eventually turns over. But today when it turned over I heard this grinding of metal noise. Could this be a bad starter?

well grtinding metal could be from any of the metal pieces that move (the entire engine...) but yes, it could be from the starter.

however if you are interested in any actual helpful information, you will need to be a lot more specific in your description of the problem (like when it doesn't start, what does it do, any noises)

also some voltage testing at the actual starter itself would help to tell you what the problem is.

it has been lately. a mechanic told me I need a intake cleaning and to replace the erg valve. but the starting issue just started happening. last week the car would try to start but it seemed like it missed the turn over and the engine did not start. now I have to turn the key 2-3 times to get it to turn over.

I dont know what " missed the turn over" means so sorry but just for clarification

"turning over" or "cranking" means that the starter is spinning the flywheel and motor is rotating...

"doesn't turn over" means the motor doesn't rotate a bit like it is either locked up or nothing is trying to turn it...

and "firing up" is when the motor actually starts up...

back to the problem at hand, lets say you have to turn the key 3 times before it starts... does it do ANYTHING the first two times you turn the key? like is it dead quiet without a sound like you were not even turning the key, does it just click each time you turn the key (only once) does it click a lot the whole time you hold the key in the start position. or does it crank fine and turn over but just wont fire up?(like what would happen if you ran of out gas...)

also when trying to start it and it doesn't start, what exactly is the PATS light (red blinking light/security light in the center of the dash right next to the windshield ) doing?

It's cranks fine but won't start like having no gas. I haven't taken a look at the PAT light while starting the car. I know the dashboard lights look a little dim when cranking.

Bad gas, dying battery, dying alternator........

Members online

Back