Sylvania Silverstars

djKale

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
After reading various posts and information about the Sylvania Silverstars, I decided to give em a try. I bought the high, low and fog lights as well. To sum it up in two words:

not impressed.:(

I didn't notice any improvement in light output. As a matter of fact, light output seems LESS, maybe because of the different color. I get a very slight blue tint (I do have the SS, not the CB versions). With all the rain we have around here, it doesn't translate into better vision.

Now I'm not saying that they are poor, I'm just saying don't expect a whole helluva lot from your $50-$100. If I could do it all over, I probably would, just because the white color is more asthetically pleasing. But I would seriously think about an HID upgrade beforehand.

I also found out my fog lights are 880s, not 886s as I have found in numerous other places. My car is a Canadian import so maybe that has something to do with it. The only difference between the 880 and 886 lamps (as far as I could tell) was that the connector on the 886 is at a 90 degree angle. The 880 is straight. This will be a problem unless you like splicing factory wiring..:)

Kale

I'm glad you posted this. Those are the bulbs that are $40 a pair and are very nicly packaged correct? Claims to be brighter than any bulb. Ok so if not these then what. I'm getting ready to replace the whole headlight assemblies in my STS and I want to put some killer bulbs in them. What should I use?

I'm interested also on which stock replacement bulbs are good for more output. I want to upgrade my F250 and I looked at Silverstars, Xenon Quartz, Night Hawks, and Cool Blues from what I saw on Silverstar's site they were supposed to have the best output. But now I wonder. I don't want to go to a $400-$600 HID conversion.

Try the bulbs from HOEN. I had those in my LS before I went to HID and they were better than the Silverstars. Be careful with some of those bulbs on eBay. Too much wattage will melt the wiring harness. The HOEN bulbs are a German bulb and closely matches the Xenon bulbs. I ran them in my car and really liked them. Of course nothing is better than HID. I've been running the 6000K HID conversion kit in my car for about 3 months and will NEVER go back to regular halogen again.

I just put in some silver stars on the low beams and was not impressed either. I'm going to put regular bulbs back in.

Members online

No members online now.
Back