swirl marks

97blacksts

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i've got swirl marks in the paint job of my black sts. i've read that black is the worst color or paint for noticing swirl marks. these were in the car before i got it, and i dont' notice it until the car is sparkling clean. is there a way to get rid of it? waxing the car? or is it an expensive thing to fix? it pisses me off rolling up in a sparkling classy car and having swirl marks all over the side.
what causes it and how can i fix it?

Swirl marks are minor scratches in the clearcoat caused by one or more of a number of things, like buffing without washing, buffing with a dirty pad or towel, improper use of a circular buffer, commercial car wash machines, etc.

Depending on the severity of the marks (i.e., do they catch your fingernail) and the hardness of your paint, you may be able to remove or reduce them yourself.

I hope this isn't against forum policy, but I recommend the Meguiar's Online forums (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/). It's a great place to learn techniques.

thanks for the help and the link.
the swirls aren't deep at all, i can't feel them with my hand, muchj less my fingernail, its only visible if its bright out after i've washed my car and its dry.

i went to the meguiars forum. and read up on a lot of stuff about swirl marks, thanks for that link sloban.
i picked up some scratch-x and some polish for afterwards.
i'm amazed wiht the results. anyone with swirl marks in there auto finish should definitely try this. i had a pretty bad case of swirls in my car and the scratch-x has improved it so much. i was absolutely amazed with this prduct, i'd recommend it to anyone, i've got some before and after pics i have to upload. i'm not sure if they turned out that well, but if they did i'll post them today.

alright, heres some before and after
before
10001178jz.jpg

after
10001163fy.jpg

before
10001183ps.jpg

after
10001195sk.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back