sway bar bushings

2000sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I installed the 30mm energy suspension sway bar bushings a while back (probably have 20,000 or so miles on them now....

And I've been having some noise lately, almost sounds/feels like the sway bar again.

So I lift her up, and check the sway bar - and to my surprise, the sway bar was WAY off center... [see below illustration]

DRIVER SIDE =[]|=========|=[]= PASS SIDE

= SWAY BAR
[] BUSHING
| BUMP STOP (or whatever they are called)

I've checked the bolts on the bushing brackets, and everything is tight.

Could this be due to having a MOOG link (much thicker than stock) on the passenger side and an OEM link on the driver side?

I'm stumped.

I moved the bar back to center with a hammer, and used a bunch of JB Weld to make new stops closer to the bushings.

I'm considering pulling the bar and wrapping the area where the bushing goes with high strength self amalgamating silicone tape to increase the bar's diameter to just over 30mm to possibly create a tighter fit with the bushing.

But to do so, I'd having to pull the bushings which I don't feel like doing.

Give me some ideas!!!!!! I'm going crazy!

I would say you might have the wrong bushings but it's been 20k miles, you do have the sport suspension right? I would start with changing the oem link to have them match. But as far as the whole bar moving..... sorry not sure.

Instead of making a tighter fit, it'd probably be better to make some kind of stop on the other side of the bushing.

I have a 2000 v6 sport with the optional euro suspension package. I have the 30mm red bushings. I think the sway bar just rusted

I do need to make the bushing tighter though. I am getting that hollow clunk sound from bad bushings so they definitely aren't tight enough

when I put mine back on they seemed a bit off center also, I could not figure out why either. in any case, they are bushing my sway just fine.

it kind of bothers me that the energy suspension bushings are about half as wide as the oem

@2000sport

Just a thought, the '03 and up have the bushings molded to the sway bar correct? Could this be why; it prevents the sway bar from moving side to side?

Assuming yours is an '00 this wouldn't apply but the beefier end link on one side shouldn't cause it to shift off center imo. They aren't too expensive to replace thought to see if it fixes the problem.

That second link has some inconsistencies...

lists compatibility with all trim levels...

then says 34mm ID - which wouldnt be correct for either trim level. (I WISH we had a 34mm sway bar.

sway bar

If the sway bar is moving then tighter bushings are not going to solve the problem. You have to find the cause. I see two options, one the car is not symmetrical, this is a possibility as most cars are not. that means the sway bar originally was not in the centre and will continue to move there. I suggest measuring all the suspension components, front and rear. Take the car for a four wheel alignment and tell the shop what is happenning. The other possibility is there is another problem, something is out of spec. The alignment will help determine this. I have seen cars assembled with different length control arms side to side, causing alignments to not be possible. what is the difference between some fixed part of the car, like the frame.

Our sway bar takes alot of lateral force. It has a natural tendency to want to move left to right/right to left. The oem bushings are wide enough that in a static position the bar is centered such that the end stops prohibit excessive lateral movement. I know I have play in at least the passenger side bushing, as I can hear it making noise now. The issue with the energy bushings is that they are in fact much narrower than the oem rubber bushings and therefore allow alot more side to side play once they become loose enough. Most people probably wouldn't notice this, but my LS is in the air almost every other night and I'm very picky. I am going to call energy suspension in the morning nd will probably call prothane as well. Someone has to have a wider bushing.

If all else fails, I will buy a block of rubber and cut out some 30mm ID/45mm OD split bushings to go between the bushing and end stop, essentially acting as a washer. I do need to find out why the bushing is loose though. That is next on my list. I will try to get pics in a couple days when I have time tO work on it again.

they make collars to put on the sway bar to keep them from moving left and right.
attachment.jpg

Thanks I found them at mcmaster Carr. And I hav an account with them already. I will have to order some in the morning or check with my local hardwRe store. Pardon my terrible typing. Trying to type on the iPhone at 1am
Is kinda hard

My sway bar collars should be in tomorrow.

I ordered them from McMaster Carr, who apparently have a location about an hour away.

But for 4$ shipping i was glad to accept :)

I should be able to install these tomorrow night and see if it makes a difference.

First, get the moog end link to match the one you have there, as stevesc has pointed out, something is not symmetrical. That is it right there. Second, the OEM sway bar with replaceable bushings tends to wear out where the irginal bushings were, most likely because of the metal collar inserts they came with, causing pits and really reducing the bar's diameter by wearing it out. I would put the micrometer on the bar for grins while you have it apart, just to see if you have lost bar stock diameter.

In my opinion, you are screwed here, because the bushings need to be able to be greased, so if you pad up the bar to fit the bushings better, then you lose the ability to lubricate the bushings.

Unless you need new 30 MM bushings to start over with, you could be stuck. I put the improved version on both of my 2000 LSs and never looked back. They work -- no noises.

The price for what he has pointed out I'd think it was the whole sway bar. $150+ for a bushing like this is outrageous!

Exactly.

I would call Max to confirm first, but I'm going to give the poly bushings one last chance here.

If the collars help, and I can then tighten the bushings down, I should be good.

Can someone else with the Energy bushings lift up their car and see if the sway bar is off center? I'd like to know this isn't isolated to just me :)

Staff online

Members online

Back