Sway Bar Bushings..Car Safe to Drive?

StuartJ745

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've read through the various posts on whining noises coming from the steering. It sounds like I have a problem with sway bar bushings. My wife, who currently has the car and is about 200 miles away, has described a whining noise when turning the wheel.
My question.....is the car safe to drive? I would prefer to get the car home and to my local mechanic.

The whining sound is NOT the sway bar bushings, and has NOTHING to do with sway bar bushings.

The whine is probably caused by the power steering fluid being low, and that should be topped off before she goes driving it 200 miles. If possible, have her take it to a dealer to have the power steering system checked for leaks. Unless she just happens to know how to do it herself.

It sounds:) to me much more as if you might have trouble with a steering pump than a sway bar. First check the fluid level. Good luck!!
KS

Sway bar bushings is a knocking sound from under the front end, usually when going over small bumps. The whining is most likely the pump. The fluid rarely just evaporates. Sounds like some sort of leak. Make SURE she puts in the proper fluid in the CORRECT reservoir. Dont guess at this part..others have made mistakes.

could be steering knuckles as well right....I haven't been around alot since selling the LS, but I had that problem at first and it was a squeaking knuckle.

Also if it only happens after the car has warmed up to running temp it could be the soleniod on the hydrolic fan, depending on the year.

to bring this up again... i made a stupid mistake and tried to get the ls inspected at a dealer, forgetting the my clockspring is bad with no horn... need swaybar bushings which I forgot about. Anyway to get them without getting the whole damn thing, bar included?

to bring this up again... i made a stupid mistake and tried to get the ls inspected at a dealer, forgetting the my clockspring is bad with no horn... need swaybar bushings which I forgot about. Anyway to get them without getting the whole damn thing, bar included?

Today is your lucky day. I have an 01 V8 Sport and have an extra set of sway bar bushings from energy suspension from when I bought mine. I made an mistake and order an extra pair. So they are just sitting here. Let me know if you want them.

Members online

Back